Review: Freedominput bluetooth keyboard

Guest squall

post-2019-1106235016_thumb.jpg

Introduction

In an ideal world we would be able to write text emails and text documents on a smartphone at the same speed as we do on the PC. In reality this is not possible, thumb pads have tried and failed to fill the gap. So what next?

How about a solid fold-a-way keyboard that connects to the phone via Bluetooth?

In theory this allows you to have a very small device, but with the quick text input available when you need it.

We have already seen infrared keyboards compatible with ms smartphones, and Bluetooth keyboards compatible with most ppc’s, but what makes this freedom keyboard so unique and innovative is that it is compatible with all the main mobile devices.

I have been using the device for over a week now, below is a review of the hardware, and use of the keyboard with a c500.

The hardware

post-2019-1106234677_thumb.jpg

Construction

Folded the keyboard is approximately three times wider than the c500. The c500 is longer (by about 10mm) but depth is much around the same. Not small, and not something that you would want to carry in a trouser pocket, but still small enough to carry around If you know you will be doing work on the move.

post-2019-1106234941_thumb.jpg

On touching the keyboard I cant tell if its mainly make of painted aluminium or plastic. The unit feels fairly solid, although I would not recommend drop testing!

The keys

On opening the device you are presented with 63 keys layed out in the qwerty standard. Through the use of pre defined function keys (platform specific) you can control the phone from the keyboard, browsing the menus, and dialling can all be done without having to pick up the phone.

Typing rate

On my pc I can type at a fairly fast rate, not touch typing, but it still using both hands and a few fingers to get through the text. On the BT keyboard I find I type slightly slower, mainly due to the slightly smaller buttons. In the whole It doesnt slow me down much.

Range

I did not test the keyboard when it was more than a few feet from the phone (you need to see the screen so it would be fairly pointless), however the Bluetooth has major advantages over the infrared alternatives which must be aligned and in close proximity to the device.

Battery life

The Keyboard is powered by 2xAAA batterys, I will add info on battery life after more use.

The software- connecting to the phone

This Keyboard was only recently made compatible with the c500 so I had to download the drivers. (Always a good idea anyway…) It didn’t take me long to find the drivers – link at the bottom of this thread.

After downloading and running the file it is very easy to install the drivers to the phone. The installer program does the work for you, you have to select your phone from the list.

To use the keyboard you simply switch on the keyboard, then activate the keyboard using the program installed onto the phone. This software automatically switches Bluetooth on. That’s all! You can now type through the keyboard.

After you finish typing you switch off the keyboard then deactivate the software, once again Bluetooth is toggled automatically.

As the drivers are still in a fairly early version you can find the application crash’s due to lack of memory. Using task manager to end some process’s then opening the application again tends to fix this.

Custom keys

You can set function keys which when pressed open the associated application. This is useful for internet and email.

The Customer support

I have been in contact with the manufacturers of the keyboard for over a month now, and have worked as a bridge between MoDaCo members with problems and the support staff. I have been very impressed with there response. They have created new drivers based on the feedback, and have went out there way to arrange repair / replacements for faulty units.

Summery

You may not always want to carry this keyboard around with you, but if you regularly use your phone for text and email on the move this is an essential accessory. Due to the large numbers of supported devices (smartphone ppc and symbian) You can sure this keyboard will serve you well for some years to come.

Links:

Compatible List HERE

Drivers HERE

Buy from: < Expansys > priced £61.95

Guest chucky.egg

Sounds good.

I've been looking for something like this for occassional use, but I'm not sure that £60 is worthwhile for me personally.

One thing though...

Does it always toggle Bluetooth off after use?

I leave BT on all the time, and I don't want it switching it off - is that configurable?

Unfortunately, it does always toggle bluetooth off. I also leave mine on all the time, so this was really annoying at first. Then I just installed the bluetooth toggle app that can be found here in the forums, and it isn't a big deal anymore. I got mine for $70 USD, which is about £40. It was used for one day, but they can be found cheaper than Expansys, who aren't known for their cheap prices.

• 2 weeks later...

You can multipress, and it is possible to play games with it. However, it doesn't work really well. The keys sometimes get stuck in a direction. I played both Skyforce and Eclipse with it, and it worked great until the direction got stuck.

There is a new update driver, v1.5, on the Chainpus site. It has completely fixed the problems with the bluetooth turning off when the keyboard is disconnected or the phone rebooted. Now bluetooth will stay on if you had it turned on.

• 8 months later...