finally a wokring rom update pc client

Guest diudiudiudiu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crazyboy
ftp://down:ccmove%[email protected]/Upl...90ROMreader.rar

it's the client and the R42CHS simplified chinese rom

don't think anyone here would need this coz english rom or way to dump rom from your phone is not yet available

take a look if you are bored

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have tested it;

This is my version before upgrade:

Operator: 4.20.13291.0

Manufactured: 41.0.0.0

Microsoft: 4.20.13291.0

Language: 4.20.13291.0

File System: 4.20.13291.0

Radio: R4.0.4 MBE41124-01 P2

This after upgrade:

Manufactured: 42.0.0.0

Radio: R4.0.4 MBE43036-01 P2

Now phone have simple cinese and English.

The duration of battery is increased.

Guest markgamber
I have tested it;

This is my version before upgrade:

Manufactured: 41.0.0.0

Radio: R4.0.4 MBE41124-01 P2

This after upgrade:

Manufactured: 42.0.0.0

Radio: R4.0.4 MBE43036-01 P2

Now phone have simple cinese and English.

The duration of battery is increased.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. After I read that it had English, I did the upgrade also and there do seem to be some improvements and more rampant Mitac incompetence. First, the GAPI module works without patches to the system or apps that use it. Big plus there. In addition, the camera app hasn't locked up on me yet and there seem to be a few improvements here and there, such as screen brightness control which should help improve battery life.

On the downside, speakerphone still doesn't work. It didn't work before, either, but now instead of doing nothing, it flips the profile to Meeting. Beats me. MMS is still in Chinese regardless of the setting to English and, in addition, there are now several more icons in the start menu that still appear in Chinese. One is a WAP browser of some sort, at least one is a URL that points to a site no longer available (LOL!) one appears to be a SIM cleaner app. Another one has "Java" in the icon and I have no idea what it does. These wouldn't be any big deal except I can't rename, move or delete them. The PC complains that it can't deal with filenames with "?" in them (which is how they appear over activesync) and Smart Explorer complains that they're system files. So the start menu continues to be cluttered with unreadable, probably useless apps. You can continue to turn the nonexistent bluetooth on and off, too.

Note: The aforementioned apps can be moved, renamed or deleted using the explorer that comes on the mitac cd that came with the phone. I looked at the file executables and there were embedded URLs that pointed to 110% Chinese sites (heh) so I doubt they'd be of any use to someone who doesn't understand Chinese. A couple of the sites didn't respond to requests at all so this rom can't be much more recent than the original. Also, it's funny that the software changed that much and received no version change but the radio's version changed considerably and I have no idea what was changed there. I've been using the new, big battery longer than since I changed the rom and haven't used the original battery at all so I don't know if it changed the power draw or not.

Edited by markgamber

Guest diudiudiudiu

did u try the snes emulator? is it working?

i can't try it myself coz i need traditional chinese support.

i would give it a try once i have got the rom version i'm using now for backup

Guest markgamber
did u try the snes emulator? is it working?

i can't try it myself coz i need traditional chinese support.

i would give it a try once i have got the rom version i'm using now for backup

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I don't have it and wouldn't have anything to do with it if I did. Also, I don't know why and don't care enough to look into it, but something I installed after doing the update has caused it to need the GAPI patch again anyway. There's no winning with this thing, apparently.

Guest schriss
No, I don't have it and wouldn't have anything to do with it if I did. Also, I don't know why and don't care enough to look into it, but something I installed after doing the update has caused it to need the GAPI patch again anyway. There's no winning with this thing, apparently.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But someone mentioned increased battery duration...

And since radio version is never then maybe receiption is also a little better, I think I will try it, I have olders ROM right now, so nothing to loose :lol:

Anybody tried updating from SD via PAD-DOWN+POWER-ON boot menu?

Guest schriss

How do you update? It looks like .bin is MicroP file. What do I do on the phone during upgrade?

There are "FlashROM Upgrade" and "MicroP Upgrade" menus, "MicroP" contains "Flash by USB" and "EEprom by USB" - what do I do?

Guest markgamber
How do you update? It looks like .bin is MicroP file. What do I do on the phone during upgrade?

There are "FlashROM Upgrade" and "MicroP Upgrade" menus, "MicroP" contains "Flash by USB" and "EEprom by USB" - what do I do?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have the menu in front of me but "Flash by USB" sounds pretty familiar. I started the app on the PC (after blowing away activesync), then went into the service menu and selecting the option there got the process under way.

Guest schriss
I don't have the menu in front of me but "Flash by USB" sounds pretty familiar. I started the app on the PC (after blowing away activesync), then went into the service menu and selecting the option there got the process under way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, but "Flash by USB" is present in 2 or 3 menus in service menu... Do you remember if you flashed with the no.1 top most menu which is "Flash Upgrade" or second, which is "MicroP Upgrade"?

I woulndn't want to kill my phone by flashing the ROM in the wrong place :lol:

P.S. can Service Menu be killed by bad flashing?

Edited by schriss

Guest markgamber
Yea, but "Flash by USB" is present in 2 or 3 menus in service menu... Do you remember if you flashed with the no.1 top most menu which is "Flash Upgrade" or second, which is "MicroP Upgrade"?

I woulndn't want to kill my phone by flashing the ROM in the wrong placeĀ  :lol:

P.S. can Service Menu be killed by bad flashing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I recall correctly and now that it is in front of me, I did FlashROM Upgrade and then By USB. That was after I tried a couple other things that failed so in this regard, the phone seemed pretty forgiving and didn't do anything that could potentially kill it. In fact, I tried a couple things which didn't work, then tried to do it via SD but it complained that it could not find a specific filename. When I tried via USB again, it worked.

Don't hold me responsible if something does fry, I'm just saying that it was pretty forgiving for me. Hopefully you get the same results. :-)

Oh yeah, you get a couple Chinese items in the T9 menu with the ROM posted above. They can be removed by hacking the registry but will come back with a reboot or a hard reset.

Edited by markgamber

Guest schriss

Successfully upgraded :lol:

There is a new option under power management: Brightness. The default setting is not the brightest one, maybe this is why you noticed increased battery life.

The other difference is in SMS, if you press and hold T9 (*) button, there are more options.