Orange (UK) wants your SPV C500!

Guest stevewooding

Guest stevewooding

Folks,

I've not long got off the phone after an Orange rep. called me today - they're meeting with the engineers and HTC and want a good (bad?!) example of the dust problem.

So, if you have a current Orange UK contract, an SPV C500 and are experiencing the dust problem please email me or send me a PM with your Orange phone number and a description of how bad the fault is - and a photo if you can.

The one with the worst example gets their's replaced via courier for free so they can find out how and why the dust is getting in there. :lol:

Unfortunately it's only one of you, but your sacrifice (!?) will help the rest of us.

I realise this is only the first step on a longer road to having the problem erradicated, but it is a step nonetheless.

Steve

(ps. the story is now on Smartphone Thoughtsand the online petition re: dust problem is up to 127 signatures at the last count!)

Edited by stevewooding

Guest Confused Stu

Steve!!! I'm not nominating mine as I strip mine apart to clean it regularly (I am sad, I know) but I just had to say:

WELL DONE SON!!!!!

I don't care if this goes no further, you've managed to get Orange to take this much more seriously than any of the rest of us, and for that alone you deserve some serious kudos!

=D>

Guest stevewooding

Got my shiny new phone by courier at 9:30 this morning as promised.

Who's next?

Steve.

(ps. thanks for the words of appreciation though like I said this is only the first of many steps!)

Edited by stevewooding

Guest chucky.egg

Trying to take a photo at the moment, but TBH the dust in mine isn't too bad ATM cos I sucked it all out with a little hoover, so I doubt they'll be swapping mine.

I'm off to find a bag of flour to tip into my phone! :lol:

Well if they're going to have a look at the dust problem they might as well have a look into the "tssss" problem in mediaplayer/betaplayer/etc, which is discussed here: http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=114434

I don't have much dust trouble. I have some scratches, which I wish I hadn't, but that's my own fault for not buying screenprotectors. However I do feel a screenprotector should go with a device like this, but that's just me.

phAn.

Guest rickwookie

I'm surprised that HTC engineers are having difficulty identifying the problem.

When I pulled my C500 apart after no longer being able to see past the dust in sunlight, it seemed fairly obvious to me.

The small raised 'dimples' (mouldings? glue points?) on the back of the otherwise flat rear of the clear plastic window prevent the rubber sealing strip from laying flat along its whole length. The point where it passed over one of these corresponded exactly to where the dust was entering from (as could be seen from the pattern it formed on the 'static charged' screen window).

I solved the problem by applying tiny amounts of silicone sealant (with a pin!) between the rubber seal and the window at these raised points.

No more dust.

I suggest HTC machine-off the bumps.

Guest stevewooding

Ta for the suggestion - I've emailed it to Orange and they replied this morning to say it's been passed on to their engineers and the HTC designers too!

I've not been courageous (daft?!) enough to take my phone apart yet - I'd like to keep the warranty intact until I've exhausted all other routes!

Steve

Steve!!!  I'm not nominating mine as I strip mine apart to clean it regularly (I am sad, I know) but I just had to say:

WELL DONE SON!!!!!

I don't care if this goes no further, you've managed to get Orange to take this much more seriously than any of the rest of us, and for that alone you deserve some serious kudos!

=D>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ive opend and cleaned most of my phones which have the dust problem but cant seem to manage to open me c500,do you know of any sites or pics of where the mounting /scre points are,Thanks