can we upgrade to Windows Mobile 2005?

Guest newmoomin

Guest newmoomin

Im very new to pocket pc, so I have no idea how this works. Windows Mobile 2005 will be out soon, and looks like it will fix quite a few bits i dont like about my MDA compact. Is it normally possible to install the new rom onto a device with a previous OS, or do you just have to buy a whole new device.

I love my MDA compact, and I want to stick with it for a year, but I want Windows Mobile 2005!

Guest Drewtech

It usually depends on the manufacturer as to whether they provide an upgrade path or not. Compaq/HP used to do so, not sure if they will now, for non-Phone PPC. Since the phone versions are all branded by the phone companies then I assume it will be up to them if they will provide the upgrade.

Guest newmoomin

Well I have a T-mobile MDA compact, but I have unlocked it on the software side. I then opted out installing all teh T-mobile gubk on a hard reset. So I guess my phone is unbranded so I could use a generic HTC Windows Mobile 2005 ROM and then just enetr the t-mobile txt/mms settings?

Im sure if tehre is an update ROM, it will be out from HTC way before the mobile oporators. Do HTC even do update roms?

Guest FloatingFatMan

There's also a licensing issue here as well. Even if you are able to obtain a WM2005 update ROM, unless it's officially issues by your service providor, it will not be legal...

But it would be REAL nice if they do make one available. Hell, I'd even consider PAYING for an OS upgrade...

Guest Metoo

There's virtually no chance of an upgrade being made available. Pocket PCs' product life is way too short, and they'd rather you buy the next new shiny model. That's before you consider the added complication of Phone Edition devices, where software builds have to be tailored and approved by the network operator as well as the manufacturer.

As for HP providing upgrades, experience says not:-

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthrea...threadid=116634

Guest ClintEastman
ROM images with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename MAGNETO) are starting to leak out

March 21, 2005 [Pocket PC phone]We have information that ROM image with Windows Mobile version 5 (codename "Magneto" also known as "Windows Mobile 2005" although it is not confirmed yet) for HTC Magician has leaked - it works with T-Mobile MDA Compact. And now ROM image with Windows Mobile 5 for HTC Himalaya (aka XDA II, etc) also leaked out:

To learn more or to download these ROM images (setup program, ROM image + ActiveSync 4.0 BETA) click here (you must scroll along the thread to find a working server).

Warning: if you are not an expert in ROM upgrading of HTC devices - don't run this upgrade - it may render your device broken and your device may be never again upgrade-able!

Please observe that currently Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition is powered by Windows Mobile version 4.21 what reflects version of core operating system: Windows CE 4.21 so since Windows Mobile codename Magneto (the name "Windows Mobile 2005" is still uncertain) has core operating system Windows CE 5, it is natural that it will have Windows Mobile version 5 in "about dialog".

Conclusions: last year our sources at Microsoft told us that next version of Windows Mobile will come out in August 2005 and it looks like this date is very close to reality... although we have now some hints that first devices with Windows Mobile version 5 may appear in Autumn/Fall 2005, not in Summer 2005! In any case: first ROM images with Windows Mobile version 5 have just leaked out and we can expect that Microsoft will release SDK (software development kit) for Windows Mobile version 5 very soon - probably MEDC conference or at Tech*Ed this year.

Now i know that the Himalaya ROM is real but as for the Magician i don't know.

I will not post links to these ROMs, ActiveSync 4.0 BETA or even the source to this post - SO DON'T ASK!!!!

:D

Guest kurtfhouse

Just to clear this up the ROM in question is actually for the Himalaya and NOT the Magician.

Personally I would leave well alone anyway until the ROM is officially released, from what I've read it doesn't work properly for syncing

Guest ClintEastman
Just to clear this up the ROM in question is actually for the Himalaya and NOT the Magician.

Personally I would leave well alone anyway until the ROM is officially released, from what I've read it doesn't work properly for syncing

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeh Whatever you do don't try that ROM on a Magician.. You will end up with one dead Magician!!. But there is talk of a Magician ROM being about, not sure that's true though. Oh and as far as i know the syncing works as long as you use a USB 2.0 port.

:D