GPRS Data monitor/counter

Guest pedd

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help here. Due to a recent discussion with Orange regarding how much data I've been using (my version : 10-15 Mb, their version : 120 Mb), I've decided to log my GPRS usage.

I work in quite a draconian environment, so I use my phone for all personal email and the odd quick web surf. Nothing more.

I'm looking for recommendations of software to help me monitor my data usage. Ideally something into which I could program my data tariff and bill date and get a real idea of how much I'm spending.

I know there are several options out there (I'm currently Trialling Hudsonmobile's IP Dashboard, which doesn't seem to allow me to isolate my GPRS usage from my (free) wifi usage). I was just wondering if anyone had tried a few and could vouch for the best.

Seeing as I've been unable to find any free software for this, Ideally, I'm looking for something which provides as much bang for my buck as possible.

Cheers!

Guest Shaunfarris

Hi Ya

Check out SPB GPRS Monitor

It a defintie must have bit of software for logging your GPRS usage.

Unfortunately if my usage is anything to go by Orange are probably right.

I used my old Nokia 6600 all the time for AOL email via wap and to keep track of footy scores, and never exceeded 4MB of usage, now with the M2000 i'm using 10Mb easily each month, and not relly using WAP any differently than before

Hey Shaun - thanks for the reply

Actually, since I installed IP Dashboard, I monitored a problem I've been having with Orange mail, where mails to mulitple recipients which were bigger than 5Kb were failing to send. I had a 12Kb mail in my outbox, tried and failed to send it 3 times over an hour, with no other apps using GPRS, and my upload usage leapt by 100kb. 100Kb to NOT send a 12Kb mail!

That may not seem like much, but when I consider :

1)The number of times I sent a mail and forgot about it, only to find it in my inbox the next day

2)The fact that my phone was set up to send/recieve every 10 minutes - including overnight as you can't set start and stop times for the auto-recieve (have these people never SEEN the Treo?)

...I begin to see how this may have happened. Anyway, I'm trying SPB GPRS monitor now, thanks, and it seems much more usable. I've told Orange that I'm not paying for the data till they look at my findings and get back to me - and given their response times, that ain't gonna be anytime soon.

...and in about 3 months I'll start checking out phones by other carriers, because I spend more time on the phone to Orange support (or rather on HOLD at orange support) than I do to anyone else. They have REALLY gone downhill, and it's a damn shame.