Install newest QTek 8010 firmware on SPV C500

Guest jakobdam

Guest jakobdam

UPDATE!

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Several people have now PB'ed me for help because they tried to install this update on a QTek 8020 or HTC Feeler platform. If you have a phone based on the HTC Feeler, then DON'T READ ANY FURTHER!!!

This guide is ONLY intended for people with a SPV C500 who wishes to upgrade to a newer QTek ROM version, in order to get rid of the Orange stuff...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<

This will work whether your phone has been unlocked via your operator or via IMEI-Check!

Why upgrade?

This QTek ROM is version ROM 2.1.32.11

It comes with Windows MediaPlayer 10

It has fixed the bloody problem I myself had with the french ROM with WMP 10, where I could only send but not receive MMS'es... (oh the hours I've spent on reentering informations, double/triple checking everything, sending MMS'es, crying etc.)...

It's also MUCH faster to connect to the internet via GPRS than the french firmware...

I don't know if this new QTek ROM will fix the problems with TomTom, as I don't own a TomTom (but hey, send me one and I'll write back whether it worked or not ;) :D)

REMEMBER TO BACKUP EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO SAVE BEFORE YOU BEGIN!

(your memory card will not be erased or formatted)

Backup your T9 dictionary dll-file if you wish to use another T9 other than English, Czech, Hungarian, Swedish, Norwegian, Portugese or Finnish - which are the standard languages installed with this ROM!

The ROM can be found on your phone here:

\windows\T9DanishLdb.dll

(this is the name of the danish file - remember, ROM files can only be shown in your phone's file browser if you have enabled it to show hidden files & folders! Please see THE BOTTOM of this post for details regarding alternative T9... SOME OF THE THINGS MUST BE DONE BEFORE YOU UPGRADE! So read about it, do what you have to do - then return here to the top...) ;)

Upgrade/installation instructions

1) Download the QTEK ROM from the Qtek site:

http://www.qtek.se

EDIT: Registration now required!

Unzip the ROM to any place on your PC. For example, your desktop...

2) Download TyphoonNBFTool:

http://www.spv-developers.com/content/TyphoonNBFTool.zip

Unzip TyphoonNBFTool to a place you can remember. For example, your desktop...

3) Open and run the QTEK ROM update.

4) You will now see a welcoming. Press NEXT, and the temporary files will be installed extracted. Don't continue yet!

Instead, open Typhoon-NBF-tool.

5) Use Typhoon-NBF-tool to open the nbf-file located on your PC around here:

C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Local Settings\Temp\pft(a number).tmp\

Notice! If you can't find the library specified above, it may be because your Windows Explorer is not set to show hidden files and folders! Open Explore (Windowskey + E), go into "Tools", choose "Folder Options", then "View". Make a checkmark in "show hidden files and folders".

Notice! The library specified above may have a slightly different name. Look a bit for it, there's a .nbf-file in the correct library. :D

6) In NBFTool, Choose Tools > Edit Header Data

7) Delete everything in the Operator field (where it says something weird - just delete it)

8 ) Press OK

Choose Tools > Recalculate Header CRC32

9) Choose File > Save As and overwrite the nbf-file you just edited...

9.5) Back to the QTek installation screen. ;) Check the field where you agree to that your phone may blow up your entire house (or whatever it says) and press carry on with the installation as usual.

10) As the phone updates, please be patient at 99% as this may take quite some time!!

11) After succesfull installation, the phone will take pretty long to boot. You can just play with the scroll stick if you're bored... the phone will update as this is first boot (Cold boot), then it'll restart.

12) The Qtek ROM boots normally, and TADAAAA - you're done! :D

------------------------------------- END OF INSTALLATION -------------------------------------

MMS & GPRS

Now, setting up MMS and GPRS has changed in this ROM-version.

I'm not into describing how to set up MMS and GPRS for all teleoperators in the entire world - but here is a rough description that you, combined with the setup details your service provider can give you, enables you to setup MMS and GPRS (hopefully). :D

GPRS

1) Choose Start > Settings > More > Data Connections

2) Choose Menu > Edit Connections > GPRS Connections

3) Choose Menu > Add

4) Fill in the fields for:

Description: (Can be anything)

Connects to: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Access point: (Contact your service provider for this information)

User name: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Password: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Primary DNS: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Secondary DNS: (Contact your service provider for this information)

IP address: (Contact your service provider for this information)

5) Click on 5 x Done

MMS

1) Choose Start > Settings > More > Data Connections

2) Choose Menu > Edit Connections > GPRS Connections

3) Choose Menu > Add

4) Fill in the fields for:

Description: (Can be anything - what makes you happy...)

Connects to: Work (I'm not entirely sure about this, but it works for me)

Access Point: (Contact your service provider for this information)

User name: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Password: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Primary DNS: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Secondary DNS: (Contact your service provider for this information)

IP address: (Contact your service provider for this information)

5) Click on 5 x Done

6) Choose Start > More > More > More > Configurations > MMS Settings

7) Choose:

Retrieve Immediately

Connects to: Work

8 ) Choose Menu > MMSC Settings

9) Choose Menu > New

10) Choose:

Name: (Can be anything... your favorite pet name...)

MMSC URL: (Contact your service provider for this information)

WAP Gateway: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Port: (Contact your service provider for this information)

Max. Sending Size: 100KB

13) Click on 2 x Done

------------------------------------- END OF GPRS/MMS -------------------------------------

Alternative T9 dictionary

Before you carry out the ROM upgrade, open the file browser on your phone.

Enable it to see hidden files: Menu > Options > remove the checkmarks from "Hide hidden files", "Hide system files" and "Hide files in ROM"

Find the T9-file here:

\windows\T9DanishLdb.dll

This is the DANISH file - choose the T9 with your own language of course (i.e. T9GermanLdb.dll).

Copy the file to your storage card (meaning your MiniSD), as this will not be affected by the ROM upgrade/installation.

Upgrade - follow the instructions in the top of this topic...

After succesfull firmware installation/upgrade, make a folder named T9 under \Storage\Application Data\

Copy the dll-file be backup'ed on the Storage Card to this new T9-folder.

Now - playtime!

Download and install this program:

CLICK HERE

Choose "Smartphone 2002,2003 (ARM/PXA)"

then Download... copy the CAB-file to your phone, then run it - and it installs.

Now the system registry has to be edited. Don't get scared - it's as easy as stealing meat balls from a Rottweiler dog... :D No, seriously - it's quite easy - just wait and see.

Open PHM Registry Editor on your phone.

Find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\MUI\Languages

Then choose to edit the string by selecting it and click on it - add ",0406" in the end. The comma (,) is important to remember! "0406" is the Microsoft code for Denmark, so find the correct Microsoft code for your language somewhere (search here on Modaco, or simply Google it).

Find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\LDBs

Then add a "String Value", and set "Value" = 0406 and "Value Data" = \Storage\Application Data\t9\T9DanishLdb.dll

Once again, the 0406 may differ in your case - and the T9DanishLdb.dll may be named T9GermanLdb.dll or T9ChtuluLdb.dll or whatever... I don't know all the languages, neither do I know their Microsoft code...

DONE! Reboot the phone, begin writing an SMS. Press and hold * until the menu pops up where you can now choose your own language! :(

If your language is shown, but you can't write anything - you propably did something wront in 9.2 --- please doublecheck. :)

EXTRA!! IF YOU WANT TO UP-/DOWNGRADE TO ANOTHER ROM!

You can as a rule only upgrade if your CID is changed. Well, NBF tool took care of that with this ROM, but this method cannot be applied for installing newer Orange ROMs.

This means that either you need a developer phone (full unlock, which costs a little money) or - you can look here:

http://www.spv-developers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610

I hope that this helps - also to those having accidentially used this guide for the QTek 8020.

------------------------------------- END OF POST -------------------------------------

Edited by jakobdam

Guest koutnyp

I have some problem with GPRS disconnect. on Qtek rom 1.2.32.11 i dont have this problem. But with version 2.1.34.11 dont work aoutomatic disconnect from gprs.

Guest jakobdam

Maybe I'm blind... I've never seen an "automatic disconnect from GPRS" in the older firmwares (which means the older Orange SPV firmwares)? Maybe it's just me... ;)

Where do you find this function?

A little tip (which you already know): Press and hold the HOME button -- from here you can disconnect from GPRS. It's a manual method, but it doesn't take that long to do. :D

Guest skearon

Thanks for the info - just completed upgrade, annoying Orange stuff gone

The text seems slightly fuzzy though compared to when it was on Orange, is there a setting somewhere as I can't find it

Edited by skearon

Guest ElGato65

I don't understand the need for all these long winded install procedures. If your phome is IMEI - unlocked just run the update software. Works every times for me. Once it is unlocked you should be able to run ANY updater for the HTC Typhoon and equivalents.

Edited by ElGato65

Guest jakobdam
Thanks for the info - just completed upgrade, annoying Orange stuff gone

The text seems slightly fuzzy though compared to when it was on Orange, is there a setting somewhere as I can't find it

The fuzzy type is actually (ironically?) called ClearType.

It's actually also available on the SPV ROMs, but on the QTek ROMs it's activated per default.

You can find guides of how to deactivate and activate ClearType here on Modaco... do a bit of searching... or maybe try Google. ;)

ElGato65 >

Updating without the use of NBFTool is only possible if the phone is unlocked via IMEI-Check, or if the phone is marked as a "Developer" phone (this can be done, it costs 20 pounds... or was it dollars... check for more info about it here on Modaco).

If the phone was unlocked via your operator after the contract expiration, it will not be updateable without the use of NBFTool.

I thought that maybe the additional informations for setting up alternative T9 and GPRS/MMS would be usefull as well. :D

Guest nishadks

After this update can I go backup to my previous ROM or any other ROM??. My Typhoon is Krome IQ700 and its SIM and Application unlocked. I can put any SIM and install any application. Will this update run directly without NBF modification in my Typhoon??

Guest @ngel

Find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\MUI\Languages

Then choose to edit the string by selecting it and click on it - add ",0406" in the end. The comma (,) is important to remember! "0406" is the Microsoft code for Denmark, so find the correct Microsoft code for your language somewhere (search here on Modaco, or simply Google it).

Find:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\T9 Input Method\LDBs

Then add a "String Value", and set "Value" = 0406 and "Value Data" = \Storage\Application Data\t9\T9DanishLdb.dll

Once again, the 0406 may differ in your case - and the T9DanishLdb.dll may be named T9GermanLdb.dll or T9ChtuluLdb.dll or whatever... I don't know all the languages, neither do I know their Microsoft code...

Dear jakobdam, I have the Greekqtek Rom!

If I want to back up and then restore the Greek menu language as well as the Greek localization settings, what should I do?

If it is possible to do so, I am going to test the rom in my Qtek 8020!

Thank you in advance!

Guest jakobdam

nishadks >

To go back to an old ROM-version is described here:

http://www.mobismart.net/forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=683

I haven't tried the procedure myself - another user elsewhere have had problems with reversing back to an old ROM, following this guide - he haven't found a ueable way yet, unfortunately...

If your phone was unlocked at IMEI-Check then you can flash the ROM without the use of NBF-Tool.

If not, you'll receive the message "Wrong vender ID" (with "vender" spelled wrong aka "vendor") before the update begins for real... if this happens, just reboot your phone (plug the batteri out and back in) - then everything works as before. So just give it a shot - see if you can update without the use of NBF-Tool, and if you can't then follow my guide. ;)

@ngel >>

I do not know for sure if this ROM, meant for QTek 8010, will operate normally on a QTek 8020. I have heard that the joystick will be "turned" if you flash a 8020 with a 8010 firmware - i.e. "up" will be "left" or something weird like that...

Regarding greek language - you can't get greek menus. I can't get danish menus either (maybe someone in here knows how to?) - you should be able to get greek T9 dictionary, however, by backing up your old dll-file and finding the correct 4-digit code...

But once again - I don't recommend it if you have the HTC Feeler (QTek 8020) and not the HTC Typhoon (Qtek 8010, SPV C500 etc.) which this ROM is designed specifically for! :D

Guest koutnyp

Not like function but on many apps like mNOtes( Domino sync) or IE after going back to homescreen and no action, phone disconnect from gprs. mNotes immediatly after sync commpleted. But now still connected over GPRS. I have set up automatic disconnect on GPRS connection after 30 sec idle, and this does not work.

Guest E_hekhuizen

Í'm a Dutch orange customer and had my simlock removed for free yesterday,

to use this update, dutch users, in addition to removing the operator name in the NBF tool, also have to change the language into "DUTCH", at least this worked for me... (and mij c500 :-))

and i now see my schizofrenic (or someting) spv/qtek booting for the first time :-D

thanks for this info!

:edit:

I can't get tomtom mobile 5 to see my rikaline BT gps receiver, anyone knows anything about this? cant't find the bluetooht serial setup...

Edited by E_hekhuizen

Guest alanw

AARRGGHH! I read that list of languages too quickly and saw Portuguese and Finnish but thought it said Spanish. So now I have the new ROM but no t9spanish.dll. :-s

I don't suppose anyone could help me out and send me the file? This multi-tap typing really sucks!

Oh, FWIW, I did the update on a Telefonica MoviStar TSM520. Worked great. All the MoviStar and e-Mocion crap is gone!

Guest r_aymond
AARRGGHH! I read that list of languages too quickly and saw Portuguese and Finnish but thought it said Spanish. So now I have the new ROM but no t9spanish.dll.  :-s

I don't suppose anyone could help me out and send me the file? This multi-tap typing really sucks!

Oh, FWIW, I did the update on a Telefonica MoviStar TSM520. Worked great. All the MoviStar and e-Mocion crap is gone!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude, go grab the spanish T9dll here: jinxworld.net

edit: changed the link, so you will go to the homepage first.

Go to downloads and find your file there.

and almost forgot.....the country code is 040A

Edited by r_aymond

Guest peekie

Tomtom does work on the qtek rom , it did not on the french rom , hopefully the upcoming c500 uk update will be the same ;)

Guest big_dogg

Im guessing this update doesn't work on phones that haven't been unlocked? Also, will it be possible to upgrade from this Qtek ROM to the new Orange UK ROM (If it's ever released!)?

Guest eikie
Im guessing this update doesn't work on phones that haven't been unlocked? Also, will it be possible to upgrade from this Qtek ROM to the new Orange UK ROM (If it's ever released!)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to put back my back-upped dutch T9, but whenever I try to copy the damn file, it says I do not have the rights to do it. (tried it via active synch and on the phone from SD card to the mentoined T9 folder). I maneged to use a work around and left the file on my SD card, but it's not the way I want it.

Second question is how to disable cleartype on the Qtek ROM. Found a couple of modaco topipcs about it, with a lot of apps and register changes, but non seem to work.

Anybody allready switched cleartype off?

-edit- seems I've pressed the wrong button, my question does not have anything to do with the mistakenly put qoute..

Edited by eikie

Guest ElGato65
I'm trying to put back my back-upped dutch T9, but whenever I try to copy the damn file, it says I do not have the rights to do it. (tried it via active synch and on the phone from SD card to the mentoined T9 folder). I maneged to use a work around and left the file on my SD card, but it's not the way I want it.

Second question is how to disable cleartype on the Qtek ROM. Found a couple of modaco topipcs about it, with a lot of apps and register changes, but non seem to work.

Anybody allready switched cleartype off?

-edit- seems I've pressed the wrong button, my question does not have anything to do with the mistakenly put qoute..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This key is created in order to activate cleartype on the Orange ROM 4.1.1.4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ClearType]

"ClearType" = "1"

I've heard that once the key is created any change to the subsequent DWord value has no effect. Maybe if the key is deleted altogether it will disable it for you.

Guest eikie
This key is created in order to activate cleartype on the Orange ROM 4.1.1.4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\ClearType]

"ClearType" = "1"

I've heard that once the key is created any change to the subsequent DWord value has no effect. Maybe if the key is deleted altogether it will disable it for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Problem is, I can't delete it, it's protected.. ;)

Guest ElGato65
Problem is, I can't delete it, it's protected.. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think if you get the phone App unlocked you should be able to delete it.

Guest minty1978

my orange C500 is now runnong the Qtek rom, and works fine!! thanks for the info people....

ps i got bored waiting for the orange rom!

Guest hasan24

As far as i've seen there is no way back to another rom anymore. Nbftools0.3 wont even flash back another bootrom. Pitty couse i need the t9dutchldb.dll.

And it is not possible to copy files from the windows folder of the spv to windows. copy it to the sd card from the phone