Modded THB CarKit / NAV MP3 Thru Stereo

Guest mordzy

Guest mordzy

After spending days posting and asking variouse manufacturers and people i have finally cracked and finnished my project.

basicly. i had bought a THB CarTalk Kit and used for a while (fantastic) then Purchased TOMTOM 5 For C500 last week and was gutted to find that when in the kit you cant here the voice nav.

Anyway.. i didnt dispare and emaild THB tech for some help. they didnt seem to know anything nor would they give me any pin out details for the unit.. argh.

i knew the 4pole 2.5mm jack was the key(like the hands free headset supplied with the phone). so i took the kit to bits found the mic/R audio/Ground. but couldnt find the L audio... after a little digging i found it. (basicly the pin had been snapped off in manufacture.

I scratched the resin/varnish of the remaining contact (pin head size) and managed to get a blob of solder on and a wire.

I hooked up 3 wires in total. the L+R and Ground drilled a hole on the cradle and passed them trough the rear of the casing.

After putting the cradle back together i connected up 2 RCE Phono plugs and run them to the rear of the car stereo. .

my hands free car kit works perfectly and if i want to use the TOMTOM GPS i can switch the stereo to aux and still here the nav while the phone is in the cradle.. woohoo.

Now .. what an amazing byproduct of my mod is the fact i can also set the stereo to aux and here any MP3's playing on my phone (stereo controls the volume.)

if anyone needs any help setting up similar please drop me a line .. id be glad to help..

• 2 months later...
Guest coalfield
After spending days posting and asking variouse manufacturers and people i have finally cracked and finnished my project.

basicly. i had bought a THB CarTalk Kit and used for a while (fantastic) then Purchased TOMTOM 5 For C500 last week and was gutted to find that when in the kit you cant here the voice nav.

Anyway.. i didnt dispare and emaild THB tech for some help. they didnt seem to know anything nor would they give me any pin out details for the unit.. argh.

i knew the 4pole 2.5mm jack was the key(like the hands free headset supplied with the phone). so i took the kit to bits found the mic/R audio/Ground. but couldnt find the L audio... after a little digging i found it. (basicly the pin had been snapped off in manufacture.

I scratched the resin/varnish of the remaining contact (pin head size) and managed to get a blob of solder on and a wire.

I hooked up 3 wires in total. the L+R and Ground drilled a hole on the cradle and passed them trough the rear of the casing.

After putting the cradle back together i connected up 2 RCE Phono plugs and run them to the rear of the car stereo. .

my hands free car kit works perfectly and if i want to use the TOMTOM GPS i can switch the stereo to aux and still here the nav while the phone is in the cradle.. woohoo.

Now .. what an amazing byproduct of my mod is the fact i can also set the stereo to aux and here any MP3's playing on my phone (stereo controls the volume.)

if anyone needs any help setting up similar please drop me a line .. id be glad to help..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heya! Mordzy! I have the same problem with the tomtom you have had. THB Bury & tomtom dont work, the audio dies. I know there are othes with this problem and at the moment only you seem to have a fix. Any chance yo can take some piccies or similar. I will try to mod mine aswell and hopefully write a tutorial to post.

At the moment the only way I can use Tomtom is to disconnect it from the THB Bury cradle. Hum... kinda defeating the point!

Guest coalfield
Heya! Mordzy!  I have the same problem with the tomtom you have had.  THB Bury & tomtom dont work, the audio dies.  I know there are othes with this problem and at the moment only you seem to have a fix.  Any chance yo can take some piccies or similar.  I will try to mod mine aswell and hopefully write a tutorial to post.

At the moment the only way I can use Tomtom is to disconnect it from the THB Bury cradle.  Hum... kinda defeating the point!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Working on a solution for this which i could write a tutorial about. I hope some onther people have the problem too else I will be wasting my time :cry:

Guest mordzy
Working on a solution for this which i could write a tutorial about.  I hope some onther people have the problem too else I will be wasting my time  :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wicked dude.. i would have done one.. just didnt have the time.

you basicly done the exact same as me exept i used a RCA lead as my stereo head unit has an RCA AUX Input. so i can select aux source on my stereo and listen to mp3/tomtom.

i got a C550 now so cradel is no use lol. im waiting for a THB C550 Cradle and tomtom to fix the bugs then i will do a tut in addition to yours for the C550 although i guess it will be the same. glad my original post was of some use