M500 Questions

Guest nowimboard

Guest nowimboard

Hay guys, Orange Have informed me im due for an upgrade soon. I have read all your comments about the C550 and dont think its really worth upgrading JUST for the meagpixel camera.

I was looking at the M500 but dont know much about it. What do the users have to say about it. I just read a comment that it doesn't have a keypad?!? Does this mean it is touch screen for txt entry?

And just out of interest what Camera is in it? Any good. I would have to pay £99 for the phone but I would like something a bit different from my current C500 if i could help it.

thanks for your help and taking the time to reply.

:)

Edited by nowimboard

Guest simon11
Hay guys,  Orange Have informed me im due for an upgrade soon.  I have read all your comments about the C500 and dont think its really worth upgrading JUST for the meagpixel camera.

I was looking at the M500 but dont know much about it.  What do the users have to say about it.  I just read a comment that it doesn't have a keypad?!?  Does this mean it is touch screen for txt entry?

And just out of interest what Camera is in it?  Any good.  I would have to pay £99 for the phone but I would like osmething a bit different from my current C500 if i could help it.

thanks for your help and taking the time to reply.

:)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think there is too much information in relation to reviews yet. This link might help a bit.

http://breakingnewsblog.com/pda/archives/orange_spv-m500

I was thinking about getting this but no keypad seems a bit fiddly.

Need some info of somebody who has just got one.

Simon

Guest spacerace

Have a look around for imate JAM / HTC Magician reviews, they are identical devices barring a bit of Orange customisation.

It's got a 1.3MP camera, but it doesn't take very good pictures in anything but very bright good conditions (low light is very bad)

It's a PPCPE (Pocket Pc Phone Edition) which means it's more of a PDA with a phone built in, hence no keypad (except for a few buttons and a direction pad), touchscreen use etc.

It takes full SD cards (as oppsed to minisd) in an SDIO slot which means you can get a WiFi card for it if that's of interest to you. I holiday'd in San Francisco and was able to pop the WiFi card in and out and check emails while walking around from the multitude of access points. Very handy in this respect !

It's the smallest current PPCPE on the market (there are a few new ones of similar size, but not on Orange) and the most usable as a phone, however it's still quite a bit bigger than a normal phone and takes some getting used to. Definitely go try it in a store before you buy.

Guest nowimboard
Have a look around for imate JAM / HTC Magician reviews, they are identical devices barring a bit of Orange customisation.

It's got a 1.3MP camera, but it doesn't take very good pictures in anything but very bright good conditions (low light is very bad)

It's a PPCPE (Pocket Pc Phone Edition) which means it's more of a PDA with a phone built in, hence no keypad (except for a few buttons and a direction pad), touchscreen use etc.

It takes full SD cards (as oppsed to minisd) in an SDIO slot which means you can get a WiFi card for it if that's of interest to you. I holiday'd in San Francisco and was able to pop the WiFi card in and out and check emails while walking around from the multitude of access points. Very handy in this respect !

It's the smallest current PPCPE on the market (there are a few new ones of similar size, but not on Orange) and the most usable as a phone, however it's still quite a bit bigger than a normal phone and takes some getting used to. Definitely go try it in a store before you buy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for you comment. The Wifi is not really important as such. I just wanted something a bit differnt from my c500. I would like a touch screen but the the thought of having to txt with a stylus scares me! I checked wiht orange and the stores should have them next week. So i will just have to try. Its £99 at the moment and she said it might go down. So i might wait till the end of August and see what the price is then!

Are there any huge problems with the phone users no about?

Guest Disco Stu

There are no major problems that I'm aware of.

To be honest the texting thing is frustrating but then I've got stubby fingers. It's quite possible that you may be able to text without the stylus, but that's not a promise :)

There are however a range of alternatives for text input - QWERTY keyboard, phonepad, handwriting recognition etc are all standard - and there are third-party options like my favourite, PhonePlus.

I dream of MS incorporating voice-to-text in the next version of Voice Command..... 8)

Meanwhile here's some screenshots for info :

post-4510-1121447248_thumb.jpgpost-4510-1121447258_thumb.jpg

Guest nowimboard
There are no major problems that I'm aware of.

To be honest the texting thing is frustrating but then I've got stubby fingers. It's quite possible that you may be able to text without the stylus, but that's not a promise  :)

There are however a range of alternatives for text input - QWERTY keyboard, phonepad, handwriting recognition etc are all standard - and there are third-party options like my favourite, PhonePlus.

I dream of MS incorporating voice-to-text in the next version of Voice Command..... 8)

Meanwhile here's some screenshots for info :

post-4510-1121447248_thumb.jpgpost-4510-1121447258_thumb.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that. So it's possible to txt and dail using the screen and fingers? Hmmm... I guess i will just have to wait and try in in the store before I properly consider it. If not i wont bother upgrading,, save the free upgrade for a New spv early next year I guess. Maybe one with 5.0!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest jimbouk
Thanks for that.  So it's possible to txt and dail using the screen and fingers?  Hmmm...  I guess i will just have to wait and try in in the store before I properly consider it.  If not i wont bother upgrading,, save the free upgrade for a New spv early next year I guess.  Maybe one with 5.0!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have just switched from a c500 to an M500 and the most essential advice I can give is to let one fingernail grow and then file it into a point. This allows you to use the T9 keypad on the screen without using the stylus.

Another option would be one of those guitar plectrums that slots over your finger!