Expansys.com Returns Policy

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

There have been a few threads about problems MoDaCo members have had with companies in the past. You guys always provide good feedback and suggestions so thought I'd let you know about some problems I'm having with www.expansys.com at the moment.

Some of you will know that I bought a Sierra Wireless Voq Professional Phone from Expansys a week or so ago. I was rather pleased with the Voq Smartphone itself after it arrived, even if nightshift meant I had to leave it home on it's initial charge while I went to work.

I was rather bemused when I discovered next day that the sync cable wasn't fitting properly, it was at an angle. On looking at the socket on the phone I discovered this was due to a missing plastic lug. The plastic around the socket was also cracked. Given the phone hadn't even been carried with around with me and certainly wasn't dropped or handled roughly I wasn't amused. Still, Expansys said in their site blurb that I could return an item that arrived damaged for replacement/refund so I packaged it up and sent it (recorded delivery - better safe then sorry).

That was a few days ago. I hadn't heard anything so rang them today. What should I be told but that they had diagnosed the fault with the device as 'User Damage'. They said I had damaged it so they couldn't resell it and as such would not replace or refund the order. They could send it for repair with the warranty repairer (but given their diagnosis I would be charged for the repair).

My response was fairly obvious. The damage was discovered within a day of receiving the phone and I had in no way caused the damage. I even pointed out that if my own actions had unknowingly caused the damage how could it be fit for purpose breaking within the day? What about my rights having paid them for a product?

There was mention to an email that they initially said they had sent me detailing their findings so I pointed out no such email had been received, nor was one in my junkmail. At this point the representative (I spoke to two, both of which were very nice given what they were telling me!) said he would get it looked into, that for some reason it seemed the email was never sent and I should get a call back. When? About an hour.

Well, that was about an hour ago and no word yet...

Brilliant :o

EDIT: Just received the email below. Result. Despite the problems detailed, escalating the problem resolved it. I can't fault the staff I spoke as they were professional enough. And once it was escalated and the issue explained things were resolved quickly enough.

Dear Sir / Madam

Your replacement order has now been placed and should be with you

shortly the reference number for this is **********

Regards

George

Returns Department

eXpansy Ltd

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Well they've been good enough to call back. Got a voicemail from a guy asking me to call back to discuss it. Unfortunately on calling back he wasn't available. :|

Hoping to get a decent resolution out of this. I don't actually want my money back, nor am I bothered whether I get a Voqmail version or not, just want the Voq I paid for a few days ago...

Guest Pondrew

Spoken to a guy called George who called twice to discuss the issue. I can't fault the staff I've spoken to at Expansys. They've been professional in their approach and when I asked for this to be escalated I got a call back as promised. Actually two calls, both of which I missed, but voicemails were left inviting me to call to discuss the situation.

Having had a chat with George I'm hopeful this will be resolved. Seems my having just returned the device without calling them to say I was doing so was part of the reason for the problem (not that the returns procedure on the site says anything about calling first - see here). It doesn't sound like they realised I'd had the device all of a day and a bit before noting the damage. Nor that I hadn't been carrying it with me and certainly never dropped it. It's been left that George is going to have another look at the device and check with the management and get back to me...

Guest fluffcat1

Berlimey! What a load of hassle! I see they have one listed as grade 'b' now - hope it's not your old one...

OT - they've got a nokia 8800 cheap grade b as well....might have to flog some of these smartphones on ebay LOL...

Richard

Guest Pondrew

Hmmm. Don't think the Voq in their Clearance section can be mine as they're describing it as in new condition but for missing items. Mine was immaculate but it had a plastic lug missing and a small crack in the sync port... and it was complete.

My replacement Voq arrives today (assuming delivery is next day...). Looking forward to installing everything. Comes at a good time as the SD card slot stopped working in my SPV E200 a few days ago!

That Nokia is V expensive even after discount. Anyone know what all the fuss is about with the Nokia 8800?

Guest fluffcat1
Hmmm. Don't think the Voq in their Clearance section can be mine as they're describing it as in new condition but for missing items. Mine was immaculate but it had a plastic lug missing and a small crack in the sync port... and it was complete.

My replacement Voq arrives today (assuming delivery is next day...). Looking forward to installing everything. Comes at a good time as the SD card slot stopped working in my SPV E200 a few days ago!

That Nokia is V expensive even after discount. Anyone know what all the fuss is about with the Nokia 8800?

Noticed how expansys have sold 200 voq's in 2 weeks? Very fast selling phone.....must be a good one ;-)

I like the 8800, I have a dummy casing and it has a nice weighting to it. But then I like poncy arty stuff like that - I still have my 8810, my carbon fibre ltd 8810, 8850, 8910/i - and if I don't get this one I'll feel a failure...

The b stock price is OK for offline. O2 are doing it for £229 with a £20p/m contract though.

Richard

• 1 month later...
Guest machalla

Funny I'm having a very similar problem with expansys right now. The phone as shipped seems to have had a problem right out of the box. I posted up a query on Expansys forums the day after I got it.

"I just got one of these new out of the box yesterday.

There appears to be some problem with the keyboard and navigator stick.

If I press the number 2 button on the main keypad it brings up the letter A in an sms but will not let me select b or c at all (through the usual multiple clicks you would expect, 2 for b, 3 for c).

If I try to use the navigator stick to move right it instead puts in the letter a when trying to move through an sms. If I'm in the home screen and move the joystick right it thinks I have pressed 2# instead of moving right. All the other directions on this work fine (up, down, left).

I also cannot unlock the the phone by pressing the # key. Instead I have to press the 2 key which it seems to interpret as a #.

It sounds like a key is mapped incorrectly somehow. The fold out keyboard gives the correct keys with no problem. "

http://www.expansys.ie/forumthread.asp?cod...ead=8&man=SIERR

After a few days of trying to use it and expecting a simple solution (a config problem somewhere) I decided to send it back to them. Now they are claiming that when it arrived back to them there was a crack in the phone which is news to me. The phone was physically fine except for the problem with the keyboard when I sent it on to them.

They seem to be following a party line when it comes to these phones. I imagine the manufacturer of the VOQ phones going out of business means they want nothing to do with returns.

Guest fluffcat1
I imagine the manufacturer of the VOQ phones going out of business means they want nothing to do with returns.

Sierra Wireless are NOT going out of business, they just don't make/sell/support the phone anymore.

Richard

Guest Pondrew
Sierra Wireless are NOT going out of business, they just don't make/sell/support the phone anymore.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fluffcat1s right. Although the end result will likely be the same, next to no support from Sierra Wireless.

Not a lot I can suggest really, in my case I knew my Voq had a crack in the sync socket at the bottom, that was why I sent it back. The dispute was over whether I caused it or whether it had always been there. Wierd that they could claim there was evidence of damage when there wasn't. In my case one of their reps agreed to visually check the device again, and after that they communicated that a replacement was on its way (I'm guessing the second check proved no evidence of negligence).

Guest gilesjuk
Noticed how expansys have sold 200 voq's in 2 weeks? Very fast selling phone.....must be a good one ;-)

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a bit of a lemon, the company have abandoned it. They didn't put bluetooth on it and there's other flaws.

Edited by gilesjuk

Guest machalla
Fluffcat1s right. Although the end result will likely be the same, next to no support from Sierra Wireless.

Not a lot I can suggest really, in my case I knew my Voq had a crack in the sync socket at the bottom, that was why I sent it back. The dispute was over whether I caused it or whether it had always been there. Wierd that they could claim there was evidence of damage when there wasn't. In my case one of their reps agreed to visually check the device again, and after that they communicated that a replacement was on its way (I'm guessing the second check proved no evidence of negligence).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mistake about Sierra but as Pondrew stated its pretty much the same end result.

I asked for a photo of the crack in the phone as I certainly don't remember one being there.

The upshot is that they told me they would look at the phone under the 30 day warranty (I would presume theres a 1 year standard warranty myself but what do I know) . Then shortly after that mail I was told they were shipping me a replacement phone as the returns manager had decided in the circumstances to offer a replacement.

Which is fine.

Unfortunate then that they had to have me fight with them for a simple bloody replacement (replace, repair I didn't care that much).

Which has resulted in them losing two further phone orders that were about to happen this week plus several more that would be happening over the next few months. Plus loss of business from my friends who have heard about this, my company and our clients.

I'm sorry I even bought the damned phone off them now even if it has turned out ok now.

Guest GuyAdams

I hope I dont have these problems, I have just bought a i-mate SP5 from eXpansys and although had a few issue with the contract application (through my own fault) all seems to be ok so far, then again I havnt recieved the device yet.

Hope it comes soon, only have 20 days left on my Orange contract.

(POST EDITED PER FORUM RULES) if the SP5 comes even close to the SPV for reliabily and functions I will be very happy.

Regards

GuyAdams

Edited by Pondrew

Hi guys,Ive just sent a ppc back to expansys and they should of recieved it on tuesday according to my Royal mail tracking.

I was told by expansys that they would email once they recieve the ppc but ive heard nothing yet :?: ,I know its only 3 or so days but its £500's worth.

How long was it when you guys returnd somthing to expansys that you got a reply to say they had recieved it,Was it straight away?

Also how long does it take for the cash to be refunded to your account?

Thanks

Guest Pondrew

Can't comment on refunds going back into accounts as haven't received one, instead receiving a replacement.

As for contact after they received my (signed for) delivery back to them. They didn't bother. Had to call them :?: