Eten M500 is dead, long live Torq P100

Guest martinwilliams999

Guest martinwilliams999

The Eten M500 seems to have disappeared from UK & US stores, and has been replaced with the Torq P100, which is exactly the same handset.

There have been some very minor tweaks, like a ROM update and improved GSM reception.

Have a look at the review below, which although written about the Eten, does explain the changes made in the Torq.

MobileTechReview.com

I ordered mine from

Buymobilephones.com

After I've had it week or so, I'll have a go at writing a review.

Edited by martinwilliams999

Guest stranger

any idea what networks the Torq p100 is on??? what differences are there between the m500 and this? am fed up of waiting for the m500 now. who made this torq?

many thanks

I believe that rom update with improved gsm is the exact one available for etens (rom 42).

And by the way the wm5 update may not be available for the torq... would it?

Edited by bennish

Guest martinwilliams999
any idea what networks the Torq p100 is on??? what differences are there between the m500 and this? am fed up of waiting for the m500 now. who made this torq?

many thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pondrew is right, the Eten M500/Torq P100 is NOT made by HTC, but custom made for Swiss electronics company, Eten. The Torq name is just a rebranding for the US & UK markets.

The differences seem all good, however:

The processor is a Samsung 400MHz affair, which seems to make the handset more responsive than the Intel CPU in the SPV M500.

The screen is appreciably brighter.

There is a Windows Mobile 5 update promised for December (which will apply to both the Eten & Torq, as they are identical).

The camera seems a little sharper (although it's still only 1.3 Mp) and has an LED flash (useless over distance, but helpful in close-up).

The Voice Commander software works with a Bluetooth headset, unlike the Microsoft Voice Command used in the SPV.

The M-Desk application is much better than the Today Screen.

It looks nicer.

It's available now.

The only possible drawback I can see is that it's 4mm thicker and 4mm taller than the SPV.

I've ordered mine on the O2 network, but it's also available on Vodafone or SIM free.

These phones are not SIM locked, so you can stick any active SIM card you like in there.

Remember, you can only take your number with you if you change networks.

Guest martinwilliams999

Having had the Torq for a couple of days now, I can confirm it is completely identical to the Eten M500.

Not much point writing a review really, as this subject has been well covered by others more skilled than me.

I will just say I'm very happy with it and glad I decided not to wait for the SPV M500 to reappear on the market.

• 1 month later...
Guest sjatbeach

Hmmm, according to the admin at ETEN Users Forum one cannot perform ETEN ROM upgrades on the TORQ P100.

I have just validated this as I was attempting to upgrade from ROM 0039 to 0042 with no luck. I got an error message on my TORQ P100 similar to "The OS is not compatible with this hardware".

I also have emailed the support email addresses at ETEN and on the TORQ web site and will post their responses once available.

However, with the above said and if I were purchasing a device today, I would wait until the support infrastructure is in place prior to purchasing the TORQ P100. I was under the false assumption that the ETEN ROM upgrades would work on my device.

Guest bigdaddyshan

Hi Guys,

Thought you might like to know that I contacted the guy called Hein (must be a technical guy for TORQ) and he has confirmed that a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade will be available for the TORQ P100 at the end of Nov. I've copied in part of his e-mail reply to me just below. Hope this helps! I'm well chuffed about this upgrade. Don't know about cost, but I'm just glad it's been confirmed! ;)

"We will be launching the Windows Mobile 5 upgrade closer to the end of November. Please contact me again closer to that time." (Hein de Swardt)

Cheers!