Change Hard Coded Start Menu Order

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

Change Hardcoded Start Menu Order

You know how when you spark up your Start Menu a number of items are 'pinned' at the top (Messaging, IE etc)?

This tweak lets you change which items are 'pinned', or indeed change the start menu so everything is sorted alphabetically.

What do I need to do it?

To apply this tweak, you need a tool that can edit the Registry on your phone.

I recommend (in this order...)

Mobile Registry Editor - This (free) application lets you edit your phone Registry from your PC - Click Here for details

Resco Explorer - This fantastic little (commercial) utility provides a top notch File Explorer on your phone, plus the all important Registry Editor - Click Here for details

PHM Registry Editor - This (free) utility is a standalone Registry Editor for your device - Click Here for details

The Tweak

Spark up your Registry Editor of choice. I have included screenshots below using 'Resco Registry' on the Smartphone, but you'll see pretty much the same thing whatever you are using.

You will be presented with a screen that looks like the following:

post-53-1129165954_thumb.jpg

Here you see a list of the 'Hives' in the Registry.

The Registry has a 'tree like' structure, which you can navigate by scrolling and clicking, and go back by hitting, well, back :o

Navigate yourself to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu

post-53-1129165968_thumb.jpgpost-53-1129166020_thumb.jpgpost-53-1129166035_thumb.jpg

post-53-1129166046_thumb.jpgpost-53-1129166060_thumb.jpg

Now you will see before you a key named 'Order'. If you view the contents of this key, you'll see the list of items that are pinned on your Start Menu!

post-53-1129166226_thumb.jpg

Editing is a piece of cake... remove lines for items you don't want pinned, and add either folder names or shortcut (.lnk) names for those you do. The items will be pinned in the exact order you enter them in this list.

• 1 year later...
Guest smittyofdhs

and if you remove or rename the key, the start menu will be alpha ordered with folders at the bottom of the list (ie files then folders). I renamed my registry key to Order_Orignal and created a new key (same type as Order) and labeled it Order with no values in the key