Vodafone VPX screen different to other Blue Angels

Guest fluffcat1

Guest fluffcat1

Well, I'm a bit bored this evening so thought I'd butcher my lovely VPx and try out an M2000 board I'd just received to see what version rom etc it had. After re-assembly, I only got a white screen but I could calibrate the touchpanel. I checked the connections, all seemed fine, and retried to no avail, so next I tried a known working board from an XDA IIs. Again a white screen. Checked the connections, all secure.

Put the VPx mainboard back in, worked first time. :|

All the units boards' are designated PH20B. I have seen variation in the touchpanels used but never the LCD's. The surround casing around the LCD is deeper. See post here for what I mean.

Anyone got a service manual with part numbers? I haven't yet diss-assembled the VPx LCD module to check - the last BA I had the LCD apart I never got back together quite right. ( Topic here.)

Richard

Edited by Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

Hey Fluff, interesting discovery. Wonder how they've made the other PH20B boards incompatible. Fancy butchering an M2000/MDA III or similar to see if their LCD will work with the VPx board? ;)

I've also sent u a pm...

Guest fluffcat1
Hey Fluff, interesting discovery. Wonder how they've made the other PH20B boards incompatible. Fancy butchering an M2000/MDA III or similar to see if their LCD will work with the VPx board?  ;)

I've also sent u a pm...

Examining an m2000 board side by side with the VPx board, there are many differences on the respective boards, especially around the screen connector, having a different arrangement of surface mount componants, which makes me think the LCD requires a different signal to drive it. From previous experiements on HTC screens ( mainly smartphones ) a white screen usually occurs when the screen is at a different resolution to the board driving the signal - or it's not connected properly. Which it is, as the touch panel uses the same connector and this functions OK.

Next step is to take apart franken-angel m2000 and use the screen from that with the Vpx. :twisted:

Hmmm.

Richard