C600 turns off by itself on mains power

Guest elziado

Guest elziado

Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?

Since I have had the phone I have only ever charged it using the USB cable but I decided to try the AC adapter today and the phone turns itself off every time. It stays on for a little while, maybe 5 min, then lets out a warning tone and turns off...am baffled, any ideas?

Am I missing something here?

Guest cold_fire
Is it just me or has anyone else had this problem?

Since I have had the phone I have only ever charged it using the USB cable but I decided to try the AC adapter today and the phone turns itself off every time. It stays on for a little while, maybe 5 min, then lets out a warning tone and turns off...am baffled, any ideas?

Am I missing something here?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looks like the problem is the charger .

Guest MitchellO

Yeah sounds like the charger might be overloading the phone, and the phone shuts off to protect itself.

Do you know anybody else with a mini USB AC adaptor that you can try?

Guest cold_fire
Yeah sounds like the charger might be overloading the phone, and the phone shuts off to protect itself.

Do you know anybody else with a mini USB AC adaptor that you can try?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has to be from the same phone as i tried to charge my C600 with a Motorola V360 charger and it did not worked .It might read informations from the battery .

Guest elziado
It has to be from the same phone as i tried to charge my C600 with a Motorola V360 charger and it did not worked .It might read informations from the battery .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tried my USB wall charger from my mp3 player (similar voltage etc) worked no problem... think it is the charger.

Anyone had similar experience? Will Orange send me just the charger I can't send them my phone, I have spent ages tweaking it, installing stuff on it etc.?!

Edited by elziado

Guest moosery
Tried my USB wall charger from my mp3 player (similar voltage etc) worked no problem... think it is the charger.

Anyone had similar experience? Will Orange send me just the charger I can't send them my phone, I have spent ages tweaking it, installing stuff on it etc.?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

depends if they send you the phone first before asking for yours back - if so you could send them the new phone back with the old charger ;)

Guest MitchellO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, definately sounds like a defective charger.

Guest elziado
Yep, definately sounds like a defective charger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orange just sent a courier with a new phone, charger etc. As I had more or less established that the problem was with the charger I just opened the box and swapped the charger. Unfortunately the courier wouldn't wait 5 minutes for me to try it out and guess what, same thing happened. The phone charges fine for 5 minutes then emits a warning beep and turns off.

I can't believe it! Just been on the phone to Orange and they can't contact the couriers directly so there is no possibility of them returning to swap the phones. Am still baffled though. They can't help me arrange another courier time either because until that courier returns and logs the phones etc exchanged the action is still open on the system... ;)

Has anyone else had the problem of the phone turning itself off after 5 minutes of charging it from the mains? (With USB working fine).

Guest linkdead
Orange just sent a courier with a new phone, charger etc. As I had more or less established that the problem was with the charger I just opened the box and swapped the charger. Unfortunately the courier wouldn't wait 5 minutes for me to try it out and guess what, same thing happened. The phone charges fine for 5 minutes then emits a warning beep and turns off.

I can't believe it! Just been on the phone to Orange and they can't contact the couriers directly so there is no possibility of them returning to swap the phones. Am still baffled though. They can't help me arrange another courier time either because until that courier returns and logs the phones etc exchanged the action is still open on the system... ;)

Has anyone else had the problem of the phone turning itself off after 5 minutes of charging it from the mains? (With USB working fine).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there, I had the same problem with me qtek 8310, everything works with the USB cable, no luck whatsoever with external chargers, I recalled my device and are getting a new in a few days hopefully. The charger shows output 5.15v , 1A (faild phone). It should be 5.0v 1A (working same as qtek8010/8020 charges).

I did not get my phone as a "doa" dead on arrival, I had to call the store who sold it and recall, I't has taken over a month time now :cry:

From my side I think you should claim out a new device, good luck.

Guest elziado

The thing that gets me is that the other mains charger (from an old mp3 player) I tried was 6V 300mA and that one charges my phone fine, without any problem.

They should send a new phone tomorrow or over the weekend, if I can find time to stay in and wait for the courier! I think it's best to get a new phone just in case there is an underlying problem.

Guest MitchellO
The thing that gets me is that the other mains charger (from an old mp3 player) I tried was 6V 300mA and that one charges my phone fine, without any problem.

They should send a new phone tomorrow or over the weekend, if I can find time to stay in and wait for the courier! I think it's best to get a new phone just in case there is an underlying problem.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I use a USB AC adaptor that I bought for my iPod to charge my SP5 at my mums house and its works great! All it is is an AC to USB power converter really. It just outputs the same voltage as a USB port, but I think 1000mA of power? Will have to check.

Guest elziado

Got a new phone, charger, battery today. I only managed to phone Orange yesterday!

I think the problem was the battery. This time I have a Samsung battery, the one with my first C600 wasn't a Samsung one.

Has anyone else noticed any difference with batteries?

Hi ... I also have had problems with my new SPV C600 from Orange. Charging via USB fine ...charging from the supplied charger it switches off ! Orange replaced the phone and charger today ... still the same problem. Orange do not seen to realise this is a problem and they have now offered to replace my phone for another model. I am tempted to have a C500 again as I had no problems at all. Does anyone have any experience of the SPV M500 it looks like a PDA ... is it easy to use? I need a phone for work and it is on 24/7 would this be a good alternative to the C600. I need the facility to sync with outlook so the choices appear to be limited. Any other ideas ?....thanks

Guest elziado
Hi ... I also have had problems with my new SPV C600 from Orange.  Charging via USB fine ...charging from the supplied charger it switches off !  Orange replaced the phone and charger today ... still the same problem. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did they replace the battery? I think the problem is with the battery.

Did they replace the battery? I think the problem is with the battery.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes they replaced the battery ... its like the charger is giving out too much voltage and the phone just shuts down to protect itself. Orange technical say they have never heard of the problem ... what planet are they on ... unless they are not selling many spv c600's !!! I have arranged to have a different phone I cannot waste anymore time ,,, good luck with yours !! Ali

Guest elziado
Yes they replaced the battery ... its like the charger is giving out too much voltage and the phone just shuts down to protect itself.  Orange technical say they have never heard of the problem ... what planet are they on ... unless they are not selling many spv c600's !!!  I have arranged to have a different phone I cannot waste anymore time ,,, good luck with yours !!  Ali

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried a new charger and that did the same, but when I got a new charger, battery and phone all was fine. Apart from that initial blip am now enjoying the phone!

Same problem with my Qtek 8310, but I am still thinking, whether there is a point in spending a month without my phone... =(

USB still charges my phone fine and laptop is always together with me...

Guest elziado
Same problem with my Qtek 8310, but I am still thinking, whether there is a point in spending a month without my phone... =(

USB still charges my phone fine and laptop is always together with me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did think about just keeping it, but my phone was only a few days old and I wondered if there might be an underlying problem and didn't want anything else to "crop up" further down the line. Plus Orange in UK send replacement phones out the next day usually and swap on the spot.

• 5 months later...

Sorry for dredging up an old one folks.

Just upgraded from my knackered c500 to a brand new c600 - love it so far, but I am having the exact same problem.

What's weird is that it seems to do it with both my old and new chargers :) Really don't want to have to return it as I just got it all set up the way I want...

What's the concensus on this - is it the charger / phone / battery?

Interesting.

Just done a bit of experimentation. Doesn't matter which charger I use, it switches off.

Have just swapped the c600 battery with my old c500 one (same part number) - it is currently on charge but hasn't reset yet... However, there is no charging icon on it.

Something is not right - I'm assuming it must be the charging circuits in the phone? How strange that it seems to crop up in quite a few...

Guys, does nobody else have this problem?

I have just had my phone replaced by Orange and the new one is doing exactly the same.

This is no use to me as I charge the phone at night and when it powers off the alarm clock does not work.

The charging logo doesn't seem to be coming on all the time either.

What causes it and what can I do? Orange had never heard of the problem.

both C600s did the same thing

Have tried the replacement with C600 & C500 chargers, and both batteries - still does it.

New battery is a Samsung, old is a Sanyo.

So it looks unlikely to be the charger or the battery.

But 2 phones in succession have the same fault.

Am I missing something? Would be really useful if I could get some thoughts from you guys because I've got nothing :)

Don't know if anybody is reading this but I am clearly not the only person who has had this problem (found somebody else on another forum as well) so I will continue to document my woes here in case some other poor sod has to deal with it.

Did the same when I plugged it in last night so overslept and missed 2 important phone calls ;)

Rang Orange who (unlike the chap I spoke to 2 days ago) were totally unhelpful, told me to turn off the power management, and charge and flatten the battery a few times. :) Yeah that's going to help when it does the same with the battery off my C500 which has been in use for over a year and has never given a problem.

Of course she told me to plug in the phone while I was on the phone and the damn thing stayed working!! Thought maybe it had sorted itself out, plugged it in later, and it shutdown. It's just done the same thing.

I am going to ring them again and if the replacement doesn't work they can get stuffed and keep the contract as well because clearly it is not a unique problem and it should have been sorted by now :D :(

Don't know if anybody is reading this but I am clearly not the only person who has had this problem (found somebody else on another forum as well) so I will continue to document my woes here in case some other poor sod has to deal with it.

Did the same when I plugged it in last night so overslept and missed 2 important phone calls ;)

Rang Orange who (unlike the chap I spoke to 2 days ago) were totally unhelpful, told me to turn off the power management, and charge and flatten the battery a few times. :) Yeah that's going to help when it does the same with the battery off my C500 which has been in use for over a year and has never given a problem.

Of course she told me to plug in the phone while I was on the phone and the damn thing stayed working!! Thought maybe it had sorted itself out, plugged it in later, and it shutdown. It's just done the same thing.

I am going to ring them again and if the replacement doesn't work they can get stuffed and keep the contract as well because clearly it is not a unique problem and it should have been sorted by now :D :(

OK - 3rd phone arrived yesterday and so far it is behaving itself (crosses fingers).

So if this happens to you, just keep getting it replaced until they can get you one that works :roll:

Hope this will be helpful to somebody in the future.

Aero.