SP5 in tea

Guest iainmann

Guest iainmann

I dropped my SP5 into a mug of tea...with four sugars in it! I've let it dry but now some of the keys don't work.

Should I take the battery out and run it under clean water...or will that ****** it completely?

I realise the guarantee won't get me a new one.

Thanks for any help....please!

Guest fluffcat1
I dropped my SP5 into a mug of tea...with four sugars in it!  I've let it dry but now some of the keys don't work.

Should I take the battery out and run it under clean water...or will that ****** it completely?

I realise the guarantee won't get me a new one.

Thanks for any help....please!

Open it, clean it with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton bud if needed, look for any corrosion, leave to dry thouroughly then re-assemble. Worst thng you can do is run it under a tap...

Richard

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Water and electricity don't mix! If it still turns on you're very lucky, i've heard tea can sometimes have an acidic effect on PCB's and disolve the tiny electronic tracks on the board itself.

As for the keys, you'll have to send it off to HTC (www.htceurope.com) and pay for a repair. It shouldn't be too expensive and they are usually pretty quick.

Guest fluffcat1
As for the keys, you'll have to send it off to HTC (www.htceurope.com) and pay for a repair.  It shouldn't be too expensive and they are usually pretty quick.

HTCEurope won't repair i-mate products despite using the same parts as brands they do repair. The service agent is SBE Ltd. But you can probably repair any damage yourself anyway with a little care.hopefully it's just 'sticky key syndrome'.

Richard

Guest iainmann
HTCEurope won't repair i-mate products despite using the same parts as brands they do repair. The service agent is SBE Ltd. But you can probably repair any damage yourself anyway with a little care.hopefully it's just 'sticky key syndrome'.

Richard

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks all. I'll try the careful Isopropyl alcohol method first. Fluffcat, can you point me to some info on taking the phone apart?

Guest fluffcat1
Thanks all. I'll try the careful Isopropyl alcohol method first.  Fluffcat, can you point me to some info on taking the phone apart?

Follow the typhoon method - except there is no screw under the mini sd card slot. I keep meaning to post a c600 method ( same family )but I'm forgettful and lazy ;)

Richard

• 1 month later...
Guest iainmann
Follow the typhoon method - except there is no screw under the mini sd card slot. I keep meaning to post a c600 method ( same family )but I'm forgettful and lazy ;)

Richard

All sorted, thanks to Fluffcat1.

First I chickened out of trying to repair it myself...and sent it off to the I-Mate repairers in the UK. I knew it wouldn't be done under the guarantee. They said the repair bill would be

Guest fluffcat1
Richard is a star...and as for the I-Mate repairers SBE LTD ********

:P

Yeah SBE suck in a big way. They have a jam of mine currently *edited to protect the innocent ;-) * - I think when something is completley beyond them they just claim water damage and give you a HUGE quote to get you to go away.

Personally, I would write to their local trading standards office as they were trying to get you to pay for work that was unnecessary to fix the phone - new motherboard my @rse! - and copy i-mate in on it as well. They need to know how bad SBE are - and not just from my ranting ;)

HTCEurope, on the other hand, are excellent IMO. Just a shame i-mate chose to contract out to SBE.

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1