Access Denied copying xml file to phone

Guest ben.fisher

Guest ben.fisher

Hi,

I've recently bought a qtek 8310 on a vodafone contract (they call it a v1240).

I wanted to alter the home screen so after having read a couple of articles I made minor changes to the homescreen xml and tried to copy it back to the home directory on the phone. This produced the following error...

Cannot copy : Acess is denied.

Make sure your mobile device has sufficient memory, that the file is not set as read-only, and that you have permission to copy this file type.

I tried changing the extension to .txt, this didn't make a difference, i tried creating a txt file with some text in and this copied fine. I also created a text file with normal text in and gave it an .xml extension which also copied fine.

There seems to be something which is detecting the contents of the file and preventing me from copying it to the phone when it contains xml. It doesn't seem to matter what the location on the phone i try to copy to, i've even tried the storage card.

Can anyone help? I'd really like to get a new home screen.

I tried searching here for similar problems, appologies if I missed a solution that's already here.

Thanks,

Ben.

Guest ben.fisher
Strange, did you kill all the other programs open on the phone?

Post the file, I have the same phone and will try it

I did try killing all other app, but no luck.

Here's the file. Basically i took the vodafone home screen as a starting point and tried to alter it slightly. I wanted to get the most recently used icon list at the top.

Cheers,

Ben.

custom.home.xml

Guest furby

hmm, I copied it to my phone and it was fine. Shows up all red a shiny ;)

I transferred it over bluetooth but not sure if that makes a difference. Can't think why your having problems with permissions. More thought required

Guest ben.fisher
hmm, I copied it to my phone and it was fine. Shows up all red a shiny ;)

I transferred it over bluetooth but not sure if that makes a difference. Can't think why your having problems with permissions. More thought required

Well, i'm going to put the new qtek AKU2 Rom update on the phone pretty soon, so i'm hoping that will illiminate the problem.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Guest ben.fisher

Well... the update of the ROM went without flaws.

The first thing i did was to reset all the phones settings and then Application Unlocked it by editing the registry settings.

After this I was able to copy the xml file without problems.

The only snag was after I upgraded the ROM i realised i'd wiped all the GPRS settings so now I can't actually get onto the internet or test the new push email functionality which was pretty stupid of me ;)

Can anyone let me know how to set this up again on the vodafone smartphone?

I've spoken to vodafone and they can't give me exact instructions, they've given me the wap settings, but I'm obviously doing something wrong when inputing them.

If anyone could let me know what's in their current working vodafone GPRS settings that would be fantastic.

Cheers...

Guest furby
Well... the update of the ROM went without flaws.

The first thing i did was to reset all the phones settings and then Application Unlocked it by editing the registry settings.

After this I was able to copy the xml file without problems.

The only snag was after I upgraded the ROM i realised i'd wiped all the GPRS settings so now I can't actually get onto the internet or test the new push email functionality which was pretty stupid of me ;)

Can anyone let me know how to set this up again on the vodafone smartphone?

I've spoken to vodafone and they can't give me exact instructions, they've given me the wap settings, but I'm obviously doing something wrong when inputing them.

If anyone could let me know what's in their current working vodafone GPRS settings that would be fantastic.

Cheers...

Glad it fixed that problem. The GPRS settings look like they haven't changed since they were posted in the settings repository http://www.modaco.com/Vodafone-UK-t200964.html

Where was the qtek update? On their site?

Edited by furby

Guest ben.fisher
Glad it fixed that problem. The GPRS settings look like they haven't changed since they were posted in the settings repository http://www.modaco.com/Vodafone-UK-t200964.html

Where was the qtek update? On their site?

mmm... i seem to have found most of the settings now, i just don't fully understand them which means i'm not sure how to put them into the phone in such a way that it works! Idealy what I need is a description of the settings as they appear on the screen in Settings, Connection, Dial-Up and GPRS....

The ROM update was off the qtek site at www.qtekcorp.com . To get it you need to register with the site and enter your IMEI number. This didn't seem to be a problem for me. If you have any problems let me know.

After that is was just a matter of following the instructions at Rom Updates Instructions

Every seemed to go to plan. Like the instrcutions say, be patient, some steps take a little while. Particularly after the ROM update has succeeded and the phone reboots, but all seems to go to plan.

Cheesr..

Guest furby

Lets see if I can help there. (can't work out how to do screenshots so in words i'm afraid)

Start-> Settings -> connections -> GPRS

On my vodafone there is a connection call "Contract Internet" . Guessing this isn't there on your phone?

If not, on that menu list. Menu -> Add. Then fill in all the settings for vodafone

As it appears on the phone:

Description

Contract Internet

Connects to:

The Internet

Access Point:

internet

User name:

web

Password:

web

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

IP address

(blank)

And select Done, and Done again.

You should be back on the connections list.

Select Menu -> Advanced and in the Internet Connection Box select the connection you've just made. There are a few other options in the Interent Connections if you you choose Menu and Advanced. But I don't think you have to change these.

Select Done again and then see if you can connect with Pocket IE.

For WAP, select Dial up from the connections and then Menu-> Add:

Description

CSD WAP

Connects to:

WAP Gateway

Phone Number:

+447836900808

User name:

wap

Password:

wap

Domain

(blank)

Done and Done. Then go back into GPRS and add another Connection. WAP in this case.

Description

Contract WAP

Connects to:

WAP Gateway

Access Point:

wap.vodafone.co.uk

User name:

wap

Password:

wap

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

IP address

(blank)

A long post there but I hope it makes it a bit clearer ;)

Edited by furby

Guest ben.fisher

Fantastic.... You are a star ;) :P

Internet working now.

I am curious though... some other posts on the internet seem to imply you need things set up in the Dial-up and Proxy settings...

Do you have anything there? I'd like to be sure i've got all the settings back to avoid going through this process again later on.

And thanks again for the settings ;)

Guest furby
Fantastic.... You are a star :P ;)

Internet working now.

I am curious though... some other posts on the internet seem to imply you need things set up in the Dial-up and Proxy settings...

Do you have anything there? I'd like to be sure i've got all the settings back to avoid going through this process again later on.

And thanks again for the settings ;)

I tend to use wi-fi more often (seems to be everywher in London) so not really sure but Ye, there are settings for proxy. The CSD WAP settings I posted above are the only settings in the Dial-Up section.

Same as the others (connections -> Proxy -> Menu -> Add)

Description

vodafone WAP Proxy

Connects to:

WAP Network

Proxy (name:port):

212.183.137.012:8799

Type:

WAP

User name:

wap

Password

wap

Not really sure what WAP is used for when GPRS is there. Maybe it's not always available.

For the sake of completness. On the Connections list (Beam, Bluetooth, Dial-up etc.)

If you select. Menu-> Advanced. The settings on my phone are:

Internet Connection

Contract Internet

Work connection

Automatic

WAP connection

Contract WAP

Secure WAP connection

Automatic

Assuming you named your new connections that way of course.

Happy to help, if I upgrade I'lll be helping myself as well ;) Does seem like my IMEI is longer than the box on the qtek site though. Guess I'll have to wait for vodafone to get their act together

Guest ben.fisher

Thanks again for the extra info.

Before i got hold of the new ROM i read a few posts about people not being able to register for the i-mate or qtek support web sites because only phones distributed by Brightpoint had an IMEI number that would work or something like that

I went to qtekcorp.com and it said my IMEI number would be valid for the www.myqtek.com web site.

Anyway, i actually went there to get the ROM update after registering on that site... sorry i think i may have given the wrong url earlier. I don't know if I was just lucky to have a phone distributed by Brightpoint or what.

It looks like you can send users on here messages, if you have problems getting hold of the ROM then send me a message with your email address and I'll see if I can help out a bit more.

Cheers,