GPS antenne

Guest Speedy

Guest Speedy

Hey

I am in the market for at cheap and realiable gps antenna, preferable a bluetooth device.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction as to where about i might find information about such devices and which models to get and which not to get.

My ppc device is a qtek s200 (prophet).

N.B. Yes i have done a search on the topic without any luck

Edited by Speedy

Guest Speedy
Hi, am I right in thinking you want a BT GPS receiver? If so then eBay have lots at very good prices.

Yes but i am really new to this gps market and have no clue what to look for... eg how many channels and so forth. Where might i find this information and perhaps some kind of compatability list?

Guest Confucious

They will all be compatable - what software do you want to use it with?

12 channels is good - 16 channels is better, but also more expensive.

Sirf II is good - Sirf III is better, but more expensive.

12 channel, Sirf II devices are cheap and perfectly adequate for most uses, a friend of mine got one for

Edited by Confucious

Guest Madeye

To keep it simple I recommend the Holux GPSlim 236.

It has 20 channels (recommended)

Sirf - III chipset (don't get any other!)

Has good cold and warm signal detection speeds. Also, there's plenty of information on this forum for how to get this receiver connected to your device.

A few things to clear up about eBay purchases...

There's some on there with 32 channels, this is NEVER going to be needed. I think there's only about 28 satellites around the earth and you can actually only see (the GPS unit, not you personally) about 11 or so at any time. (approximate figures here, I may be wrong). So only go 20 channels max! (OK so I said 11 would be the most you'd see, but the better units usually come with 20 channels, plus it allows for future satellites that may be launched! :S )

There's another chipset on there claiming to be a sirf III killer. It's not, don't buy it.

If you're new to ebay too then remember to check the postage!!! A lot of these units come from Hong Kong so shipping can be almost as much as the receiver!

Good luck!

Edited by Madeye

Guest Speedy

Has good cold and warm signal detection speeds. Also, there's plenty of information on this forum for how to get this receiver connected to your device.

A few things to clear up about eBay purchases...

There's some on there with 32 channels, this is NEVER going to be needed. I think there's only about 28 satellites around the earth and you can actually only see (the GPS unit, not you personally) about 11 or so at any time. (approximate figures here, I may be wrong). So only go 20 channels max! (OK so I said 11 would be the most you'd see, but the better units usually come with 20 channels, plus it allows for future satellites that may be launched! :S )

There's another chipset on there claiming to be a sirf III killer. It's not, don't buy it.

If you're new to ebay too then remember to check the postage!!! A lot of these units come from Hong Kong so shipping can be almost as much as the receiver!

Good luck!

Have been looking at the Holux GPSlim 236 for a couple of days now, and it seems like a good divice. So just get things perfectly clear... I buy the Holux GPSlim 236, pair it with my qtek S200 and buy the gps maps (tom tom and those..) and i am all set to go??

By the way, which software works best on wm5 ppc's ??

Thanks

Guest Confucious

TomTom do not officially support the M5000 and people have had some problems getting it to work with nom TomTom receivers (why not just buy it with the TomTom receiver?)

CoPilot 6 does support the M5000

The integration with the address book is much better with CoPilot but TomTom is a more roiunded product and although I use CoPilot myself most people (myself included) think TomTom is a better product.

If you don't already have a receiver I would recommend buying the TomTom package including the TomTom receiver, if you buy a different receiver you *might* have problems. CoPilot will install and work with any receiver.

Guest Speedy
TomTom do not officially support the M5000 and people have had some problems getting it to work with nom TomTom receivers (why not just buy it with the TomTom receiver?)

CoPilot 6 does support the M5000

The integration with the address book is much better with CoPilot but TomTom is a more roiunded product and although I use CoPilot myself most people (myself included) think TomTom is a better product.

If you don't already have a receiver I would recommend buying the TomTom package including the TomTom receiver, if you buy a different receiver you *might* have problems. CoPilot will install and work with any receiver.

Thanks for the very good and speedy replies, guess i will be scanning the market a little bit more :)

Guest Brins0

I just purchased the gps receiver mentioned above, and it is amazing, to put it simply. It does it's job perfectly. I turn it on as I put my coat on, and by the time I reach the car, about 1min later, it's ready to go. You can keep it in your glovebox, and it works fine, no errors for me yet. I paid

Edited by Brins0