GPS, Bluetooth & A Nervous Twitch

Guest Palindrome

Guest Palindrome

The other day I bought myself a Holux GPSlim 236 for my SPV M500. Got it working right away and I've been using it since without a hitch. I've been navigating across London using Memory-Map's Greater London A-Z, using the GPS for tracking my routes and reference. Fantastic! I've also been using Tom Tom 5 for out of London ventures, which has also been working very well (apart from the odd surreal moment when I'm told to turn around on a long straight part of road...)

Two days ago I thought, "I'll do a hard reset to free up a bit of memory", which I did successfully following the same procedure that I'd used countless times in the past. I got all my programs reinstalled and configured correctly.

Finally I paired the Holux GPS without a problem, getting the create serial port message, and installed the utility that came with the device, an app called GPS Viewer. It scans the COM ports and reports which port is being used. Before it was COM5 and bluetooth was configured to use this again. Unfortunately GPS Viewer couldn't find the COM port allocated to the GPSlim. Tom Tom couldn't find it either when I selected COM5 from the setup dialogue. It definitely is COM5 because the A-Z software can find and display my position using COM5.

The A-Z software has the ability to use NMEA or SiRF which are both supported by the GPSlim. Before the hard reset I was using NMEA. Now NMEA won't work with the A-Z software, but selecting SiRF will. If GPS Viewer and Tom Tom only use the NMEA protocol that would explain why they don't work.

So, does anyone have an idea why the GPS Viewer (or any other GPS software, like GPSDash) can't locate the GPSlim on COM5. Is it something to do with the NMEA protocol? I doubt the device is faulty as it was working a treat until I did the hard reset (that will teach me free up memory).

Bluetooth, eh, it's never easy? :)

Guest Madeye

Hi Palindrome...

You sound like you know a lot more about this than I do (and I'm not sure I really understand the question) but I fancied typing a reply anyway.

In bluetooth settings on the phone, when you add the Holux do you select "serial port" as a usable service?

When you create a new outgoing port, are you selecting COM5 ? If you are, are you ticking the secure connection box?

Would it make any difference anyway? I don't know!

Have you created the tomtom folder (containing currentmap.dat) in my documents on your device?

I'm all out of ideas, sorry!

Wes

Edited by Madeye

Guest Palindrome

Believe me, replies are most welcome (apart from any suggesting I stuff custard up my nose!)

When I paired the GPSlim for the first time I got a message saying would I like to enable a serial port (I can't remember the exact wording). I tapped the YES button. If I unpair and repair the GPSlim I don't get this message again. The same is true when I hard reset my M500, the first time I paired the devices after the hard reset I got the message box asking me about the serial port, to which I answered YES and I haven't seen it since when I've unpaired and repaired.

In Bluetooth Settings in the System tab (Windows Mobile 2003SE) the Outbound COM port is ticked and is COM5. I can't find anything which indicates a 'Secure Connection'. Tom Tom is setup exactly as it was when it was working perfecting before the hard reset.

Am I missing something? Is there a Bluetooth setting which my M500 isn't displaying. Is there a software upgrade for Bluetooth. The whole thing's bizarre and should work. I've ordered a data cable so I can plug the GPSlim into my laptop. That way I'll know definitely is the receiver is working properly. I'm also going to have a search for any Pocket PC software that could tell me a bit more about how bluetooth is configured on my M500.

Guest Palindrome

I am delighted to report the twitch has gone and my GPSlim is fully working again. :)

After much research I came across a freeware app called CEMonitor. This allowed me to test each protocol (SiRF and NMEA). SiRF worked fine but it was definitely NMEA that wasn't responding. I used CEMonitor to reset the GPSlim back to factory settings and NMEA started working.

I'm pleased as punch and going to buy lots of drinks for everyone at the local tonight!