I got one!

Guest Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

Hello people...

I have, as we speak, an HTC TyTN in my hands....

Pictures coming...

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest Syphon Filter

I'll post some impressions as soon as I get it up and running, going out again in a bit though so maybe not tonight (will try if possible).

First impressions:

It feels nice in the hand. Slightly thinner than the Vario I would say.

The provided headphones feel a bit cheap and nasty.

I think the choice to put microSD in there was retarded. mini Would have been just fine. I am liable to lose or accident eat one of these micro cards they are so damn small.

The keyboard feels very nice. The layout is good, the numbers are now on the right side grouped together like a numpad as opposed to across the top (such as on the vario). This is much better.

The stylus is pretty much identical to the one on the Vario. No bad thing really...I do fine with it, but i have very small hands.

I am just about to stick my SIM in it and give it a go. Back with info as soon as I can be.

Guest Syphon Filter

Its out on the street! To buy!!

I got mine from Tottenham Court Road, from a company called Rank Hour. They have various areas in a few of the shops.

Quick thing before I go out:

Its bloody quick. On the vario i found the screen switching from portrait to landscape was sluggish. On the TyTN its damn fast.

Guest jm012a9749

I WANT ONE!!! :)

Though becuase i am poor at this present time so i will have to wait for t-mobile to bring it out...

But let me say what every1 else feels..... i am so so SO jealous ;)

Phil

Guest Syphon Filter
Is it just me that thinks those buttons under the screen are damned ugly in this variant?

No not just you, I think the ones on the Orange and T-Mobile variant are much better, but Orange dont sell devices offline to customers and I didnt even bother asking Tmobile. The only thing I may have gained by getting a network device is possibly the contract and I am not dealing with setting up yet another contract...

Guest Syphon Filter

Thats how much these things cost offline I'm affraid.

For those interested:

SPBDiary, PocketPlus and Backup installed and appear to be working just fine as you would expect seeing as the OS is the same.

smartskey kind of works the right softkey stuff isnt quite the same but there are inbuilt hardware buttons that provide the same functionality. There is a jog dial (which also has a push in button) and an "OK" button just next to it. This gives you the "close"/"ok" functions when in windows as it were and when on the Today screen it brings up the start menu.

The device is working nicely and all in all I am happy with my purchase, its faster (CPU wise) which is something that kind of annoyed me about the Vario, it used to get quite sluggish sometimes when using it.

The 3G is nice, but not as fast as i thought it would be. I might have to upgrade to the HSDPA service when T-Mobile roll that out.

Guest nickcornaglia

Question....

What are the benefits of owning this device, if you dont have 3G in your area? Is there anything that would make it still worth it over a previously released device?

Guest Syphon Filter

That depends, I liked the Vario/Wizard a lot. It's a very good device. Despite liking the Vario I had my gripes with it. It was slow, the CPU just wasnt quick enough, changing screen orientation seemed like a struggle. Sometimes it just used to slow to a crawl.

The TyTN/Hermes is faster, the screen switching is quicker and that alone is nice. Its not like a killer feature but its nice. The Hermes IS a Wizard, just faster.

The camera, as with all HTC devices, is tripe. I'd prefer if they didnt even bother with it to be honest. With Sony Ericsson putting out phones with amazing cameras I see no excuse for HTC to lag behind so drastically.

The 3G is definitely faster than GPRS, I am quite keen to try out HSDPA to be honest and see what that is like.

Its not all about data speed though, I like to have a quick'ish device just for texting and emailing. The extra grunt the CPU provides is very welcomed.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to help and try to answer them.

FYI: This wasnt a "justified" purchase, more a treat to myself.

Guest Syphon Filter
Sooo....what's the dealio with the headphone connector.. how can one plug normal.. semi decent cans into this baby?

I see no way of doing that at the moment.

Are there any USB->3.5mm adapters about? The supplied headphones are really poor if you ask me. They dont really fit in my ears and are very uncomfortable. The speakers/buds are too large for me by a long way, they just want to fall out.

This is a gripe I have with HTC (and other mobile makers). If Sony Ericsson can put in a decent set of headphones with their walkman range of phones AND get a bloody good camera in their phones too, I see no excuses for the rest of the bunch. It's these touches that make what is an already great package into something that is truely excellent.

The only thing I can see that would definitely do the job is a set of these:

http://europe.htc.com/products/accessories.html

and that's assuming that you can plug in any 3.5mm based headphones...which may not be the case.

More impressions:

The device seems to be running very nicely. Like I say, I didnt have much to complain about with regards to the Vario, so this device is just more of the same.

One thing I have noticed is that it takes a bit longer to come out of sleep/standby mode., but only marginally...so marginal that I am thinking that maybe I am just imagining it.

When you first run the device automated customisation CAB runs, this DOES NOT set your network settings up for you. I had to enter the T-Mobile GPRS settings manually. But it does install a rather nice HTC theme which is all green and funky, I like it a lot and will be leaving as it is.

The top bar displays whether you are in 3G/GPRS coverage so you always know how you are connected (like on the Vario next to the signal meter).

There is not "PhonePad" input option, I guess this has been removed from the ROM. I have installed TenGo Free and that seems to be working just fine. Though, with this sort of device its generally easier and quicker to use the hardware keyboard.

I think the backlight has many more "brightness" positions allowing for finer control which is nice.

The wifi implementation seems to work quite nicely and I have had no issues so far (connecting to my Linksys wireless router at home this is).

Activesync works as it should, not had any problems there.

Not tried video calling, now sure how much it would cost me on Flext so a bit scared of incurring a massive phone bill.

The signal reception seems fine, about the same as the Vario I would say.

I am definitely starting to notice the difference between GPRS and 3G.

Guest Syphon Filter
one would hope so too......:)

Yeah, at first I was a little concerned, it didnt seem all that much faster...but it definitely is. It's ideal for light browsing and a quick spot of IM here and there. I check my emails and things a fair bit too when I am out and about. So it's definitely useful to have, GPRS is ok, but 3G seems to bring added value for sure.

When T go live with their HSDPA I will try it out (hopefully in store using a shop device/SIM card). If its leagues better then I will see about getting my contract up'd to allow access.

Guest Dr Who
Yeah, at first I was a little concerned, it didnt seem all that much faster...but it definitely is. It's ideal for light browsing and a quick spot of IM here and there. I check my emails and things a fair bit too when I am out and about. So it's definitely useful to have, GPRS is ok, but 3G seems to bring added value for sure.

When T go live with their HSDPA I will try it out (hopefully in store using a shop device/SIM card). If its leagues better then I will see about getting my contract up'd to allow access.

Hey Syphon, if possible could you take a photo of this phone next to, say, a C500/C600? I really want one of these babies, but want to see whether I can use it as my only phone or whether I need a smaller one for when I am off out at night.

What is it with HTC and headphones???? Their designers must have massive lug holes 'cos I have never had a set from HTC that actually fit in my ears. Since I would be mostly using this via headphones then this is pretty important to me. Maybe time to upgrade my BT headset to something decent. I forget, does this model support A2DP?

I think I might have to have a stroll down TCR today - is down near the TCR tube?

Guest bronksy

Goodge St takes you out intot he midst of electronic heaven.

There is a lot of crap on TCR and don't expect any customer service.

Has anyone seen the Aug Orange brochure.. apparently the P990 and the M3100 is in there..

Guest Syphon Filter
Hey Syphon, if possible could you take a photo of this phone next to, say, a C500/C600? I really want one of these babies, but want to see whether I can use it as my only phone or whether I need a smaller one for when I am off out at night.

What is it with HTC and headphones???? Their designers must have massive lug holes 'cos I have never had a set from HTC that actually fit in my ears. Since I would be mostly using this via headphones then this is pretty important to me. Maybe time to upgrade my BT headset to something decent. I forget, does this model support A2DP?

I think I might have to have a stroll down TCR today - is down near the TCR tube?

I'm not going to be home till late tonight, but I will do the photo comparison when I do get in.

I have a C500 at home so I can use that.

I havnt tried the A2DP stuff, will give that a go too later tonight. Will post my results and findings.

The guys I bought from are called RankHour, they have sections a few of the shops. I got mine for