Vodafone v1605 (Hermes) in shop

Guest julianmclean

Guest julianmclean

Not sure if this is old news, but I stopped in the Vodafone shop yesterday to ask them about the tariff discussed elsewhere in these forums which allows you to swap texts for data. When I asked about the v1605, he showed me one they had on display - it was plugged in and said I would normally be able to play with it, but he couldn't get it to work (and it was in a plastic security cover so we couldn;t do much else quicklt.

I didn't even know these were actually already in shops, but it seems they are available to buy now. The voda version looked pretty sleek actually, as good as the Orange and of course better than the T-mince version, but when I asked about data charges after using up the allowance he said it was about

Guest WILBUR
When I asked about the v1605, he showed me one they had on display - it was plugged in and said I would normally be able to play with it, but he couldn't get it to work (and it was in a plastic security cover so we couldn;t do much else quicklt.

I just went into my local shop and they had four in stock. Couldn't buy one as I didn't have my PAC code yet, but i've got my name on one.....

He also said though that the swapping text for data thing was ending at the end of the month, to be replaced by something different of which he didn't have details yet. I wonder if vodafone are set to laucnh unlimited too?

The assistant in the shop told me the same thing, but said he understood the new tariffs were to allow the customer to chose what services they wanted. I said it sounded like Flext tariff - and he agreed, but said he really didn't have any more details. FIngers crossed. No mention of unlimited data though...

Guest head3d

has any of you guys managed to get one of these in a vf shop?

i have been into 3 shops, one in the east coast of scotland who said they could order it in for me and two in the west coast who havent even heard of this device and didnt even have a look on their computer(didnt think much of their cs!) so i phoned vf lastnight sayin iwanted to join.

the guy didnt know what device i wanted but did a search and found it only to say it was out of stock!! typical!

he did take my number and said he'd phone me back(not holding my breath tho!) oh well looks like i might have to stay with orange and upgrade to the m3100 :'(

Edited by head3d

Guest larry45

Picked up mine last Friday hot off the delivery van at the Vodafone shop near St Pauls, London.

Anytime 700 with 500 text, Stop the clock and the v1605 for free - 18month tariff.

Orginally on Orange PYG with a SPV C500.

Most impressed with the v1605 as I thought i would be - no issues yet...now need to buy a 2GB micro SD card :)

Guest head3d

ive just noticed thats its on the vodafone business part of their website.

think ill give orange a phone tomorrow ask for my pac and try vf again to see if they have any in stock now or atless put me on a waiting list. (been with orange for 10years time for something new me thinks, just dont seem to be give as good a deal as the other companys now!)

would have gave tmobile a try but dont get a good reception where i live in devon and also where i visit family in scotland, also got family abroad so vf seem to be the best when abroad(i like how u can use your talk plan mins when abroad!).

Edited by head3d

has anyone noticed that the v1605 on the website has a vodafone style software menu screen and not WM5 style, I need to send mine back as the screen keeps flipping orientation but i dont want it if there about to release it heavily voda branded.

has anyone noticed that the v1605 on the website has a vodafone style software menu screen and not WM5 style, I need to send mine back as the screen keeps flipping orientation but i dont want it if there about to release it heavily voda branded.

Very odd - it's not a PPC screen at all! It looks like they've (badly!) pasted a screenshot from a Blackberry onto the image. I very much doubt that they'd customise a WM5 in this way - far too much development work!

v1605.gif

blackberry8700v.gif

Edited by matho

There is some customization, but not as intrusive as I've seen on previous VF devices or as much as O's M3100:

- VF customised today plugins for Calendar and separate SMS, MMS and Email notifications. Can't find a way yet of changing to the default Calendar icon - the VF one is a bit big and doesn't fit with the rest of the theme. Owner and Device Lock removed, but easily reapplied by a bit of tweaking

- VF theme - grey with red highlights, and a grey world map as background image

- VF dialler - grey and actually quite nice. Features Video Call button, text input through keypad (only in dialler screen AFAIK)

- Office tools (word, excel etc) moved into separate folder within Programs - quite good as it frees up screen space. Same grouping method for media apps

- VF PrePay and Contract data connection settings pre-loaded

- No application lock!

- No network lock!

- No easy way of getting to VF Live! A bit odd considering just about any button you pressed on the old T610 started a data connection and took you to Live! !!

I think that covers it - I'll let you know if I think of any more!

Edited by matho

Guest head3d

done it phoned orange for my pac, offered me different plans to stay but wouldnt give me the hermes for free. so just waitin on my pac code to arrive through the post, already phoned vf they are just waitin for my pac code.

time for somthing new only been with orange 10years lol

Got a v1605 three days ago - must have been one of the last ones before they ran out of stock. Rather alarmingly, everyone I have spoken to in CS seems to think that they are discontinuing it but I do not believe this for a second, just think there are very few devices available. I want one for my wife...need to have same phone for car kit etc.

I have two problems with mine, one that Matho may be able to help with...the locked down today menu is a real bore and would love to know how to tweak settings to allow me to get the messaging plug-in right and also calendar. Want to add owner information too, so any help there would be welcome.

The more pressing problem that I have is that I cannot receive notification of voicemail by SMS. Works fine on alert and deliver (ie by phone call) but I would throw it out the window in seconds if it rang me every two minutes to tell me I have voicemail messages. Also, no problem whatsoever with normal SMS from other mobiles. Anyone else come across this? Vodafone initially claimed it was a network problem, but when I put my sim card in another phone it worked fine. Now they are telling me to take it to a store for one of their "experts" to look at. they reckon it's a handset problem. Spoke to HTC support (who are awesome) and they say that they have come across the same thing with SFR (Voda's French arm) and he recommended that I remove the Voda ROM. Any one else got any better ideas, or any known problems with not running the Voda ROM.

BTW is anyone aware of any problems with the Parrot CK3100 Car kit? I have seen some mutterings, but mine seems to work much better than the old PDA2k that I used to have.

That's it. For now!

I have two problems with mine, one that Matho may be able to help with...the locked down today menu is a real bore and would love to know how to tweak settings to allow me to get the messaging plug-in right and also calendar. Want to add owner information too, so any help there would be welcome.

You called? :D

First, you'll need to install a registry editor such as Resco Explorer [here].

Next, put the attached files into the My Documents folder of your device. (Don't run these files on your PC!!!)

On your phone, find the files using Resco File Explorer and then open them each in turn. Once done, Menu>Exit. You should also do a soft-reset as well for good measure. This will apply a registry change which will allow you to select 'Messaging', 'Owner Information' and 'Device Lock' in the Today screen settings.

Alternatively, if you're confident enough to edit the registry directly (PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!), the keys are below. Please note you'll need to properly exit the Registry Editor and possibly even soft reset before your changes take effect.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Device Lock"]

"Flags"=dword:00000000

"Options"=dword:00000000

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

"Order"=dword:00000024

"Type"=dword:00000004

"DLL"="shutil.dll"

"Selectability"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Messaging"]

"Options"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000004

"Order"=dword:00000002

"Enabled"=dword:00000001

"DLL"="tmailutl.dll"

"Selectability"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items\"Owner Info"]

"Order"=dword:00000003

"Enabled"=dword:00000000

"Type"=dword:00000000

"Selectability"=dword:00000001

I haven't yet found a way of getting rid of the VF Calendar plugin and/or replacing it with the default one.

Also, see Paul's thread on the must-have free software for other useful stuff, eg there is a .cab file there which will give you a 'Wireless' Today screen item which displays the status of all your wireless connections.

Edited by matho

do you have the voicemail problem too? Just curious as you have the same ROM and build date as my unit.

To be honest, I don't know!!

I think the way my voicemail is set up is that it will call me when I have a voicemail. It'll try 3 times and then after that send me a text to let me know there's a voicemail waiting. I don't think I've had any voicemails since I got the phone, so I haven't got as far as getting a text yet.

I'll run a test now and let you know if I receive any texts...

Edited by matho

Personally I just can't handle the irritation of it calling me all the time, or even just three times in fact. With text it sends you one straight after the call and then another 4-6 hours later if you still haven't listened to it. But you need to go to 121 and into your settings and change alert and deliver to text message. It would be great if you could test it for me that way.

It would be great if you could test it for me that way.

OK! I changed my voicemail notification to SMS, left a voicemail and almost 2hours later still no SMS... I tried it using another phone and the New Voicemail SMS came through almost immediately. So, it seems you may be right and there is a problem...

I think I've read something about this elsewhere, so it may not be a v1605 specific issue but a problem with the HTC device itself...

Thanks matho, that's the same result that I am getting. HTC say that it is a problem with SFR but this is the first that they have heard with voda. Voda is same as SFR tho and they reckon that without the ROM it will work. This is certainly borne out by a client of mine who has and HTC (ie unbranded) device on voda and has no problem. good to know that iot's not my device though, so thank you

Guest boyo69
Thanks matho, that's the same result that I am getting. HTC say that it is a problem with SFR but this is the first that they have heard with voda. Voda is same as SFR tho and they reckon that without the ROM it will work. This is certainly borne out by a client of mine who has and HTC (ie unbranded) device on voda and has no problem. good to know that iot's not my device though, so thank you

sadly, I have a completely unbranded HTC Tytn variant which I have put my vodafone UK contract SIM in and I too do not receive text alerts........but alert and deliver (which is so annoying!) works fine!

so it is not just the vodafone rom it relates to sadly.....hopefully there will be a fix......it worked just fine on my Wizard !!!??

I rang vodafone yesterday to enquire about sending the phone back due too the Letter "o" not working and the screen flipping out al the time, they told me they had them in stock but the system was saying they werent allowed to ship any out, said they would ring me back, i'm still waiting..................................

Guest boyo69
sadly, I have a completely unbranded HTC Tytn variant which I have put my vodafone UK contract SIM in and I too do not receive text alerts........but alert and deliver (which is so annoying!) works fine!

so it is not just the vodafone rom it relates to sadly.....hopefully there will be a fix......it worked just fine on my Wizard !!!??

there is a solution!

go to www.vodafone.net and register to have all voice, fax and email messages alerted via text.....

it does not matter if you do not use the email or fax service......

it will ask you for a mobile number to send a passcode to......at this point, you need to make sure the vodafone sim is in any other phone other than the tytn in order to receive the service sms.....once received, complete the setup procedure and put the sim back into the tytn.....you will now find that voicemails will register as text messages and also the little voicemail 'spool' symbol on your tytn....it even gives you an instant 'voicemail' soft button to press for instant access....

subsequent voicemails will register with a counting up text message replacing the previous one, ie you have 1 voicemail, you have 2 voicemails etc

the only change seems to be that it is now 242 for voicemail rather than 121 but if you ring 121 or click on the voicemail link, it seems to take you to the same place anyway!

worth doing until HTC come up with a fix!

there is a solution!

go to www.vodafone.net and register to have all voice, fax and email messages alerted via text.....

it does not matter if you do not use the email or fax service......

it will ask you for a mobile number to send a passcode to......at this point, you need to make sure the vodafone sim is in any other phone other than the tytn in order to receive the service sms.....once received, complete the setup procedure and put the sim back into the tytn.....you will now find that voicemails will register as text messages and also the little voicemail 'spool' symbol on your tytn....it even gives you an instant 'voicemail' soft button to press for instant access....

subsequent voicemails will register with a counting up text message replacing the previous one, ie you have 1 voicemail, you have 2 voicemails etc

the only change seems to be that it is now 242 for voicemail rather than 121 but if you ring 121 or click on the voicemail link, it seems to take you to the same place anyway!

worth doing until HTC come up with a fix!

So I did all that, about ten minutes ago, but still no dice - does it take some time to go through? I am still getting my old "121" personal greeting, rather than the new one that I just recorded on the new mailbox. What's the deal, do you know?

UPDATE...mailbox has updated and I now happily have all sorts of notifications of my incomng voicemails, but they are all text. Fantastic. Also see the old school tape loop symbol when voicemail waiting, which stays on top bar until you ring 242 or 121. Chuffed.

Edited by dunc