i-mate K-Jar: A step back?

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

kjar_1_small.jpg

When I first saw a render of this device a while back, it looked spectacular and the hope was that the specs would match the looks. However, all that glistens is not always gold!

What you see before you is the i-mate K-Jar (erm...catchy name there guys :rolleyes: ). A device which you'd be forgiven for thinking was I-Mate's successor to the great JasJar (HTC Universal). Well, the K-Jar is neither made by HTC nor anything to really shout about either. This Tech Faith Wireless manufacturered device has the following specs (deep breath people!):

• 2.8" QVGA touch screen
  • TI OMAP 750 CPU (speed?)
  • 128MB ROM
  • 64MB RAM
  • Wi-Fi (802.11?)
  • External (single line?) display

Hardly awe inspiring i'm sure you'll agree <_>

More pics after the jump...[/teaser]

kjar_1.jpgkjar_2.jpg

kjar_3.jpg

Source [PDAFrance]

EDIT:

Here's that render I was talking about:

kjar_render.jpg

...and here's what I assume the real life version is based on or is possibly a re-cased version of:

tfw_universal_copycat.jpg

Guest thepuma77

Just like the Razor: It has a nice conceptual design that catches the eye but no groundbreaking technology to catch the heart. The I-Mate K-Jar follows this pattern.

Guest nedge2k
look thin from the render (I know u cant see the depth but from the way the hot looking gal is holdin' it :( )

If you notice on the render, it has "RAZR" style call/end/dpad buttons too which prolly give the illusion of it being thin :rolleyes:

Guest scott_donald

i want to see more pics of the omni... hmmm was excited there when i first saw this but then after reading first post i am now very disappointed...

If you notice on the render, it has "RAZR" style call/end/dpad buttons too which prolly give the illusion of it being thin :rolleyes:

good spot!

the real thing's buttons look a fair bit differnt!

Guest nedge2k
i want to see more pics of the omni... hmmm was excited there when i first saw this but then after reading first post i am now very disappointed...

erm...more pictures? There aren't any pictures of the Omi...unless you know something I don't?

Guest willieturnip

its just a cheap version of the jasjar :rolleyes:

the screen is WAY too small imho

i wonder what the price is going to be though....i mean, not exactly high tech. should be very affordable..

Guest Knocksock

Stop complaining :rolleyes:

K-Jar is small - who could say that Jasjar was easy to use effectively ? Did you ever manage to put it in your pocket ? How many times did you swear because of the buttons on the front was unluckily pressed ? Those who wants a big screen...there is ultra portables, Tablets, etc. At this point I think screen size doesn't matter - because the larger screen it has, the bigger the device is..allthough it seems from the pics they could have used more of the device "plastic" for the screen..

It has AKU 3 - making device easier to configure, more options "wherever" in WM5

It probably has a good battery length - without 3G/UMTS it will keep going like a Duracell-rabbit :(

MiniSD (I personally hate that they keep changing standard)

I think the design is nice. Also this might be a device in the low-end pricing as with SPL

Isn't it time that we get low-cost PDAs/Smartphones, with WM5 ? Not everyone need 3G/UMTS - HSDPA isn't available many places..so - EDGE is good enough for many.

I think they could have chosen CPU from Samsung, but hey...they will probably in mid 2007

Wi-Fi - 802.11b/g (n is "waste" since its in draft)

IR is probably thrown away - I don't mind...

2 MP Camera - perhaps i-mate has made a proper camera-application for this ? Read Pauls review of SPL

MiniUSB - Who wants a HTC StarTrk/Qtek 8500/i-mate Smartflip solution for USB not following the USB-standards ? Lets hope they also skipped the jack-plug for handsfree - as on SPL. Jack-plug solutions is baaad. But lets wait and see...

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.