Removing Orange Bloatware

Guest Radeon12345

Guest Radeon12345

Received my SPV E650 Monday and I love it :( , but I just can't stand the orange and grey icons Orange decided to use, they look bloody awful. Anyone now a way of changing these or at least resetting the customised icons back to MS original WM 6 icons ;) . What was Orange thinking :D

here's a first pack of shortcuts... You have just to replace what you want in \WIndows\Start Menu and subfolders... If you want to change the icon of one subfolder you have to delete icone.lnk in the subfolder. (to replace à shortcut you have to apps unlock your Vox and to change the shortcut property with an explorer (like resco) because they are in Read only..)

WM6_Icons.zip

Guest juliankay

Hehe, I had just fixed all my Icons by hand.

I too hate the Orange one, it's a shame they brand the hell out of it.

The only branding I've not removed yet is the call screens (which have a blue backgrounds), the camera (which doesn't matter so much), and Comm Manager (which I believe is branded, but I haven't checked).

Oh yea, nearly forgot. There are icons in the Call History which have been branded too! Ugh. Damn orange.

Anything else need removing?

One fix package for everything would be great and save people sooo much time.

Thanks

Guest Radeon12345

Just need the original MS icons for a few things, mainly the call history, address book, organiser and pictures and videos. And if available the Accessories icon, games, document readers and bluetooth folder :rolleyes:

Would love to remove that blue background also and have it white :P

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest Looby
Hehe, I had just fixed all my Icons by hand.

I too hate the Orange one, it's a shame they brand the hell out of it.

The only branding I've not removed yet is the call screens (which have a blue backgrounds), the camera (which doesn't matter so much), and Comm Manager (which I believe is branded, but I haven't checked).

Oh yea, nearly forgot. There are icons in the Call History which have been branded too! Ugh. Damn orange.

Anything else need removing?

One fix package for everything would be great and save people sooo much time.

Thanks

How did you do that?? :rolleyes:

Guest Samsonite

could i ask someone to post some shots of some icons for comparison please?

i'm not sure i understand what the differences are.. are they totally different or just different colours?

Guest juliankay
How did you do that?? :rolleyes:

Which bit? I used the Windows Mobile 6 emulator as a base reference for the icons and registry settings!

Guest Looby

Well, I can get the icons to appear when going to Windows/Startup and I downloaded the Icons pack on to my PC but I don't know how to change them. I don't want to mess the phone up by being uncertain. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Blue Bluderbus

I don't know how to get my phone app unlocked, but I have found that you can create a new folder in \Windows\Start Menu called whatever you like (e.g. "Original Icons") and copy the original shortcuts from the above Zip to this new folder. At least you can see what the originals look like - much better!

If someone can tell me how to app unlock the phone, and whether this is a safe and supported thing to do, I'd appreciate it!

Guest J.L. Bloem

Hey there,

Just got myself a E650, what a great phone! Dutch version, -with- Windows Live luckily :rolleyes:

Only thing is, the orange items are indeed awfull. I just downloaded this iconpack on this thread, but i honestly have no idea

how to application unlock the phone, and how to change these icons. A poster refers to Resco Explorer, but i don't know how

to use that software to change the icons to the original ones from the pack.

Anyone cares to do a step-by-step explaination? Or make a .cab for the E650? I read on Paul's S710 thread, that he's working on a version for the E650 as well, besides the one for the S710 he made. The two cabs don't work on the E650, as you might know already.

From the screens on that thread, those icons look -alot- better then Orange' icons.

Thanks in advance!

Guest Noonsy

Hi I've a similar problem. I've installed the resco explorer.

I think I've app unlocked the phone via the french orange site, but when I try and change the file from read -only and apply the file stays read only, so I can't copy the file over the top.

I can't understand why orange didn't just leave the phone as was -

Why shouldn't I use IM via my own Wi-fi connection that I pay someone else for?! crazy... I used Pocket MSN on my C600 - the data transfer is so small why remove WLM. people still SMS/MMS? (rant over :rolleyes:)

it's a great device (once you've installed all the apps you want :P) and when then fix the stupid install bug). (I've also got a backspace bug on texts anyone?) I've owned most SPV's (smartphones) except the c550, and this has to be the best so far (with the c500 second)... very pleased with it in general...

Rich

Guest nexxexium

We still need a screenshot of the windows mobile 6 icons so we can verify the icons are installed correctly. Nothing much changed on my e650 with wm6 icons.

Some please post screenshot!?

Guest mattpayne

Just wondering when the second icon pack will be out?? :rolleyes:

Call history

addressbook

organiser

settings

messaging

pictures and videos

accessories

document readers

are still missing pretty icons! :P

Guest psims
Hi I've a similar problem. I've installed the resco explorer.

I think I've app unlocked the phone via the french orange site, but when I try and change the file from read -only and apply the file stays read only, so I can't copy the file over the top.

Same problem here - Resco says the system attribute is removed but i try with the File Manager (copied from my old WM5 sp) and I cant remove it. I presume resco tries but fails.

Guest peekie

One tip when you have changed the icons use sprite backup , this will should you hard rest the phone put the icons back and remove the orange ones :rolleyes:

Guest Radeon12345
Just wondering when the second icon pack will be out?? :rolleyes:

Call history

addressbook

organiser

settings

messaging

pictures and videos

accessories

document readers

are still missing pretty icons! :P

I want these to :D

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest Noonsy

Hi,

Has anyone been able to change the icons using resco explorer with the e650? (or by some other method)

I'm still having a problem making the files writable.

Guest DigiBob
Hi,

Has anyone been able to change the icons using resco explorer with the e650? (or by some other method)

I'm still having a problem making the files writable.

Me as well. Any help is very much apprecited.

Thanks

Guest DuNcAn SPv E650

Method is quite simple actually...

Go to: http://spvunlock.rd.francetelecom.com/

This program removes the security on your Orange smartphone.

Fill in all the necessary info. An e-mail will be sent to you with a .CAB file attached. Follow the directions in the email.

Reboot your smartphone (by turning it OFF and back ON)

Use the same link to get a CAB-file to turn the security back on.

Ok, now the application lock on your phone is removed.

Now you can change most icons in the menus on your phone. Some icons can't be changed… YET. Like "Call History", etc… these are branded with beautiful icons by that impressive graphics team of Orange… yep, being sarcastic.

After re-booting your smartphone, you can use ActiveSync's explorer to replace most of the icons with the ones mentioned in an earlier post by jpa (WM6 icons). Icons in your start menu are located at: Windows\Start Menu.

Simply copy and paste the icons. This replaces most icons by the WM6 ones. Some are located in sub-folders. Find the folder which contains the icon you want to replace, copy the new one to your phone, and replace it.

Paul (MVP) mentioned he'll be working on a de-brander for the e650 as soon as he gets his hands on an e650... http://www.modaco.com/Pauland39s-HTC-S710-...02-t254418.html

Like the rest of you… am waiting impatiently.

Oh… hi everyone… yep, this is my first post.

Let me know if it works or if I overlooked something or… hope this was helpful.

Guest perros

I installed the icons from the zip posted earlier, although I'm not convinced that all of them are WM6 icons. Especially the Java one.

I'm looking forward to a full de-crappifying patch.

-Perros-