T-Mobile start Port Blocking on Web'n'Walk

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
thumb_30-May-2007_webnwalk.gif

Well, I wish it wasn't the case, but it seems T-Mobile have started Port Blocking their basic Web'n'Walk customers from accessing certain services.

In my case, I have 2 SIMs, my regular FlexT 35 WnW SIM, and my Web'n'Walk Professional SIM. The Pro SIM can still access FTP fine, but the regular one cannot get out.

On both SIMs Windows Live Messenger IM is still working, although on some sites there have been reports that this is being blocked for some users too.

A quick peek at the T&Cs suggests that Peer to Peer file sharing is excluded, but nothing to suggest I shouldn't be allowed to download files from my FTP server!

Have you noticed any restrictions on your Web'n'Walk usage? Post below!

P

Guest magic_peanuts
In my case, I have 2 SIMs, my regular FlexT 35 WnW SIM, and my Web'n'Walk Professional SIM. The Pro SIM can still access FTP fine, but the regular one cannot get out.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Except my regular SIM can't access Windows Live Messenger either. My Pro or Max (I forget which it is, £22.50 a month anyway) still accesses everything so they have to be port blocking. I'm using the same phone, same settings, just changing the SIM.

Guest Confucious

I have not been able to access IM for a couple of weeks, I ocasionally used to log on and will miss it but as I'm not supposed to use it I can't really blame them for blocking it, I can't upgrade either as I got mine as poart of a 25% off bundle and would lose the 25% on the whole £42.50!

Oh well, I knew what I was signing up for and am still well chuffed with flext 35 and W'n'W basic for £31.88 / month :rolleyes:

Guest chucky.egg

You can go up the tariff list, but not down, without losing your 25%

I just changed from Flext30 to 35 and get to keep the discount, and I plan to change to Pro soon so I can use it as a modem.

Guest Dade
I have not been able to access IM for a couple of weeks, I ocasionally used to log on and will miss it but as I'm not supposed to use it I can't really blame them for blocking it, I can't upgrade either as I got mine as poart of a 25% off bundle and would lose the 25% on the whole £42.50!

Oh well, I knew what I was signing up for and am still well chuffed with flext 35 and W'n'W basic for £31.88 / month :rolleyes:

What ports does Skype mobile use? If it's the same as the destop version then it's Port 80, in which case Skype can't be port blocked without blocking out all HTTP traffic!

Guest tsutton
What ports does Skype mobile use? If it's the same as the destop version then it's Port 80, in which case Skype can't be port blocked without blocking out all HTTP traffic!

It's more likely they are using signature blocking...

Guest Dr Who
It's more likely they are using signature blocking...

I thought signature blocking would require real time analysis of every packet of data? If that is true would TMob really commit the resources required? If it is port blocking could you just change everything to tunnel through on Port 80?

Guest Confucious

I would doubt if it's straight forward port blocking (although I am no expert on these things). You might be able to find a way round it, but why? If these things are important to you, pay a bit more and use them within the terms of your contract, We get a great data deal from T and if people abuse it that might change - I'd rather not risk that. If I want to use my phone for IM then I'll pay the extra - at the moment I don't think it's that important and have no need to use my phone as a modem - if I do then T have an option that does that for a few quid more a month.

Just my 2d's worth.

Guest peekie

Seems bad to me , if your a new customer then ok but to take away from old customers who built it all up is going too far , makes you wonder what other suprises are to come and they will :rolleyes: In the uk you pay double what the rest of europe pays for your wnw , plus in europe there is no blocking , if i was paying over 30 pounds for a mobile contract with wnw i would be screaming down the phone at t-mobile , here t-mobile took telfort to court because they were offering for 9 euros a far better service simular to wnw saying it was anti competion :P , they seem to only want to rip people off , think before you sign up the next time :D

Guest Phil John

Just tested using SSH to connect to on of the remote servers I'm responsible for keeping ticking and it connected fine, so at this point SSH works.

Paul: If I may ask, Are they blocking VPN on your basic sim? If not then you could just setup an endpoint on your home router and tunnel the traffic over that. Not elegant, but if you're in a jam somewhere and need access to FTP it may do the trick.

Guest Confucious

Don't know about FTP (I don't use it) but IM is banned by my T&C so I should not have been using it anyway, they have only blocked what I was not supposed to use. If FTP isn't blocked according to the T&C I'd give T a ring - have you tried that Paul?

Guest neilg

Can anyone advise the differences on the plans - there seems to be contradictions in the T's and C's.

I see:

Web'nWalk, Web'nWalk Plus, Web'nWalk Max, and Paul mentions Web'nWalk Pro, also there is the business modem tarrif and ideas which services are actually allowed on which tarrif. Just interested to work out the reality as the Terms on the website don't seem to be totally clear (although it could just be me ;-) )

Guest spacerace
Can anyone advise the differences on the plans - there seems to be contradictions in the T's and C's.

I see:

Web'nWalk, Web'nWalk Plus, Web'nWalk Max, and Paul mentions Web'nWalk Pro, also there is the business modem tarrif and ideas which services are actually allowed on which tarrif. Just interested to work out the reality as the Terms on the website don't seem to be totally clear (although it could just be me ;-) )

Not T&C's but a good guide....

From T-Mobile Site

Flext + web 'n' walk Plus plans

Choose this plan if you want Flext, and you want to use your mobile as a modem to connect you laptop to the internet. You’ll get unlimited* internet access plus you can use instant messaging services.

Flext + web 'n' walk Max plans

Choose this plan if you want Flext, and you want to use your mobile as a modem to connect you laptop to the internet. You’ll get unlimited* internet access plus you can use instant messenger and voice over IP services, like Skype.

I think 'Pro' is possible the data only tariff, not an add-on to a voice tariff like the rest are. No restrictions on use other than the 'fair use' restriction which is about 2Gb / month.

Guest Confucious

W'n'W Basic excludes IM, Modem use, streaming and Skype (£7.50)

W'n'W Plus just excludes Skype (£12.50) and

W'n'W Plus Max includes everything (£22.50)

W'n'W Pro was the old £10/month one which is noi longer available

They do different data only packages for the PC card I believe.

Or at least this is my understanding

Guest simon211175
W'n'W Basic excludes IM, Modem use, streaming and Skype (£7.50)

that's what I'm on. I can still access MSN Messenger. I don't use Skype and haven't tested streaming, as I've never used it

Guest hunyango_uk

can't access most of the times my IM's (i'm using windows live messenger & IM+). the good thing about t mobile was the unlimited data tariff but what's the use of the unlimited data tariff if you can't access the service you want to use.

glad that i cancel my one contract with them one to go, in few months.

is there any good service around?

edited!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest nuttyphilt
can't access most of the times my IM's (i'm using windows live messenger & IM+). the good thing about t mobile was the unlimited data tariff but what's the use of the unlimited data tariff if you can't access the service you want to use.

glad that i cancel my one contract with them one to go, in few months.

is there any good service around?

anyone in favor of ditching T-MOBILE because of cutting the services of IM? raise your hand please.......... :rolleyes:

i did raise my hand, because i definitely need IM everyday.

But the T&Cs say that you can't use IM on the basic WnW so what's the problem? OK it's annoying but if it's really that important to you then all you have to do is fork out an extra £5 a month and away you go...

Guest coulsond

Hi

I have a web n walk pro datacard, I bought it last year before the price hike. A few days ago I noticed that I can no longer access messenger, although my ftp capability hasn't been affected...yet.

I also have normal web n walk on my Vario II (again the original pricing) and I can access messenger fine, although I don't tend to use it on my phone.

cheers

Dean

Guest Confucious

I just get a problem connecting - strange, isn't it - some people can't connect while others can.

Edited by Confucious

Guest hunyango_uk
But the T&Cs say that you can't use IM on the basic WnW so what's the problem? OK it's annoying but if it's really that important to you then all you have to do is fork out an extra £5 a month and away you go...

well, i am using IM 2 yrs from now. and never did encounter any problem before. what's the use of having the pocket msn on my vario when i had it then. and yes it's stupidly annoying. <_<

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Ahh I tried so hard not to post this post, but I just can't help myself....

MUWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAH

I stuck with orange, and pay £8 a month for unlimited, portblock free access. Its really quick, with no pathetically slow DNS servers.

and... heres the best bit.... a 2G GSM Network THAT ACTUALLY WORKS.

Heres the score see... I still have my orange phone, but my work have swapped from o2 to TMobile, so I have a N73 on TMobile. I've also used a smartphone on the same sim too. The point is this: TMobile is AWFUL. The network randomly dies and network busy messages happen all the time. Also the signal goes completely seemingly all over the country.

There is uproar in the office because its so bad, and some people have even swapped back.

By the way, this is a nasty post, and I believe rightly so, after all the abuse I, and others received for sticking with orange. You get what you pay for... oh but hang on... £22.50 for WnW Pro.... you pay more and still have a crap network?

Let the flames begin.... I'm ready to back up every last thing I've said.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.