[Updated 22/10/2003] FastScroll for IE v1.11 + source code

Guest maxh2003

Guest maxh2003

:edit: source code now available below. It's pretty simple, low-tech stuff, so don't be disappointed if there's less there than you expected... :)

:edit: following hot on the heels of version 1.1, here's version 1.11 - now there *really are* no "disabled" popups!

:edit: updated, see version history below...

Here's a little app I put together to make scrolling down (long) web

pages less painful. With this, you can scroll through pages about

ten times quicker!

Requires an app-unlocked phone, obviously...

Unzip the attachment and put the EXE wherever you like. I use it

with X-bar, but you can just run it using SmartExplorer if you like.

When you run it, it pops a window explaining: "1 to enable, 2 to

disable". Press 1, and a window pops up to confirm the fast scroll

is enabled. The program instantly hides itself so you can get back

to IE more easily. You can still scroll as normal, but you can now

also press * for PAGE UP and # for PAGE DOWN.

To disable fast scrolling, run the EXE again and press 2. Note that

in version 1.1, no popup is displayed.

Note: behaviour in other programs than IE is as yet untested, but it

ought to be OK. If you have any problems with other apps, then run

the FastScroll EXE again and manually quit using the left soft key

("Quit").

Enjoy!

version 1.11 20/10/2003 maxh2003

BUG: There are now no popups at all when disabling Fast Scroll.

Left one in by mistake :-(

version 1.1 20/10/2003

BUG: With Fast Scroll enabled, when you press * or #, * or # is

automatically sent to the operating system before the PAGE UP or

PAGE DOWN commands are sent. This addresses the cannot-unlock-phone

defect.

FEATURE: '0' is now mapped as emergency disable - it works even when

the phone is locked. Note that no pop-up message is displayed when

you do this.

FEATURE: FastScroll now quits itself whenever you disable fast

scrolling. It's *such* a small program that there's no advantage to

having it memory-resident, and this reduces the chances of it

causing problems with other apps. In practice this change shouldn't

affect the user at all.

version 1.0 17/10/2003

FastScroll.zip

PageUpDown.zip

Yeah :)

Another great xBar plug in :( :D

I will add to the xbar web site.

please contact me if you want more access to the keypad.

Thank you for your works

Xet'

Guest www.msmobiles.com
Here's a little app I put together to make scrolling down (long) web pages less painful.  With this, you can scroll through pages about ten times quicker!

Requires an app-unlocked phone, obviously...

Enjoy!

Would you care to post same screenshots so that I could carry a news item story about it at msmobiles.com ?

Guest Simon Desser

Great app, BUT, if you leave it running in the background and lock your keypad, you can't unlock it again, you have to take the battery off:(

That's because it takes over the hash key which is needed to unlock the keypad. I think the only way round the problem would be to assign the scrolling functions to different keys (maybe the volume buttons on the side?)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Simon Desser

I should have remembered to close this app before locking my keypad (as per above post) but I didn't :oops:

I then received a text message, I couldn't unlock my keypad so I couldn't read it, the only option was to take the battery off, and after rebooting, I'd lost the bloomin' text message :twisted:

Guest maxh2003

Yep, I did the same thing too (lock my phone with the program enabled and have to pull the battery). I suppose if you wait until the numeric lock thing is enabled, you should be able to unlock it that way. No, I couldn't be bothered to wait.

Sorry for the lost text message :oops:

I already tried using the volume control keys but it didn't work for some reason :? in any case I can't build a new version til Monday cos the source code is at work. There doesn't seem to be any way to sense that the phone has been locked so maybe the best thing to do is use the 7 and 9 keys instead. Any views?

Guest Simon Desser
maybe the best thing to do is use the 7 and 9 keys instead.  Any views?
I thought about the volume buttons 'cos you could "live without them" whilst the app is running (shame it doesn't work)

I wonder if you used 7 and 9 keys whether you might run in to difficulty when dialling a number :?: (at least that wouldn't result in removing the battery)

(BTW, I rang a couple of people to see who'd sent me a text and I guessed right by the second phone call :) )

I'm ok with * & # as I only enable it when I need it and then disable it straight after. Whichever keys you use, if you leave it enabled it's gonna cause problems when you're entering text, as I found out ealier today. Took me a few minutes to realise what was going on when I couldn't change between T9 and abc or call up the symbol screen.

Guest Simon Desser
I'm ok with * & # as I only enable it when I need it and then disable it straight after.  Whichever keys you use, if you leave it enabled it's gonna cause problems when you're entering text, as I found out ealier today.  Took me a few minutes to realise what was going on when I couldn't change between T9 and abc  or call up the symbol screen.
I agree that the "best" keys are * and #, but no other keys (other than the left soft key) would result in having to remove the battery, if you happened to forget to quit the app. and locked the keypad

I agree that the "best" keys are * and #, but no other keys (other than the left soft key) would result in having to remove the battery, if you happened to forget to quit the app. and locked the keypad

Yeah, it's the lesser of two evils I suppose. Bet you don't forget more than once though eh? :)

Guest MoRFLeZ

Finally got around to installing X-Bar and then decided to install this as well! It is excellent! Roaming MoDaCo mobile is MUCH better now...

7 and * sounds like a pretty good solution to me!

Finally got around to installing X-Bar and then decided to install this as well! It is excellent! Roaming MoDaCo mobile is MUCH better now...

7 and * sounds like a pretty good solution to me!

What do you think about volume up and vol down to scrolling text ?

Guest Simon Desser
What do you think about volume up and  vol down to scrolling text ?
That was my original suggestion:-
I think the only way round the problem would be to assign the scrolling functions to different keys (maybe the volume buttons on the side?)  Posted from my SmartPhone!

But maxh2003 said he'd already tried that and it wouldn't work :)

I already tried using the volume control keys but it didn't work for some reason  :?

Guest maxh2003
maxh2003 : did you try the GXinput to get these keys ?

Well I hadn't tried it before, but on seeing your comment I had a look and sort-of got the thing working. Problem is, it would only respond to Volume + / - when the FastScroll app was the visible window. As soon as the user went back to IE, and thus FastScroll was running in the background, the Volume + / - stopped working. Don't know if I was doing something wrong or whether GX Input would naturally work in this manner? FWIW I'm using RegisterHotKey to 'steal' the * and # buttons.

Anyway I've managed to fix the cannot-unlock defect in version 1.1 so I guess the problem is less severe now. Also I've added a panic button ('0') which resets everything to normal and shuts down the app.

Guest Simon Desser
Anyway I've managed to fix the cannot-unlock defect in version 1.1 so I guess the problem is less severe now.  Also I've added a panic button ('0') which resets everything to normal and shuts down the app.

What can I say :?: FANTASTIC :!: This new version works a treat, and still uses the * and # keys. Thanks :)

Guest maxh2003

Well, if anyone catches the thing misbehaving or their phone starts doing funny things when they press keys (well, even funnier than usual) then do post a bug report here.