WIFI SDIO Cards with spv E200?

Guest JHarte

Is it possible to access a wireless network with a wifi sd card and an E2OO? if so, how? I only ask cause my uni has a wireless network installed, and it would save me a lot in gprs charges! thanks

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Is it possible to access a wireless network with a wifi sd card and an E2OO? if so, how? I only ask cause my uni has a wireless network installed, and it would save me a lot in gprs charges!  thanks

I'm not sure if the Orange SPV e200 supports SDIO WLAN cards right out of the box, but this should be possible if a ROM update enabling BSQUARE SDIO Now! support is released in the future (similar to the iPAQ h3900 ROM update released to enable SDIO Now! support).

In fact, the SDIO Now! website specifically mentions that "SDIO Card functionality" may be added to "Smartphone 2002 devices" if OEMs choose to implement SDIO Now!. Referring to the BSQUARE SDIO Now! Licensees web page, HTC is now listed as a licensee and perhaps future HTC devices will be SDIO Now! ready - hopefully the HTC Voyager (SPV e200/Xphone) may be SDIO Now! enabled also?

Basically, current SDIO WLAN cards (e.g. San Disk SD Wi-Fi Card, Socket SDIO WLAN Card) will only work on BSQUARE SDIO Now! ready hardware, and beyond that, the only requirement would be software drivers and a WLAN configuration utility from the respective SDIO WLAN card manufacturers for the Smartphone.

HTH. :lol:

I just read an infoSync World article - "Wi-Fi drivers for Smartphone underways" - which reported that SyChip (the company which developed the SD form factor WLAN NIC reference design for OEM vendors - Socket & San Disk), have developed beta drivers for their SDIO WLAN cards on both Smartphone 2002 and Windows Mobile for Smartphone 2003, to be released in 2004.

Oops... :oops: :lol: wasn't paying attention to the earlier posts which mentioned the msmobiles.com article. Either way, it's good news to Smartphone users. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

well, I'm currently using WIFi on my e200. ere's my review (german)

http://www.pocketpc.ch/viewtopic.php?t=7043

[edit] was already linked in msmobiles.

well, I ot the experience with it. works nearly perfecft. low power consumtion, compatible to all APs and AdHocs I came across, some GUi leaks, like you have to enter SSID even if none is broadcasted, but it's still beta :lol:

Edited by yves

Guest Alex_le_brit

well, I ot the experience with it. works nearly perfecft. low power consumtion, compatible to all APs and AdHocs I came across, some GUi leaks, like you have to enter SSID even if none is broadcasted, but it's still beta :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yves, how did you get it to work? Do you think it would work on Smartphone 2002 too or does it need 2003 ? Can you tell us all.

Guest Alex_le_brit
2002 does not support wifi and would be unlikely that driver will be written for it as it is old technology now as we are now on 2003SE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True but not all of us can afford the £100+ just to get ourselves up to 2003, let alone the who knows how much to get up to 2003SE.

EDIT: Just looked on ebay UK and noticed you guys are paying about £30-40 less for a secondhand E200, than we are in France.

The chances are the next generation of smartphones and PDA's will all have WIFI and bluetooth built in anyway, in which case where's the market for add in SDIO cards? If the manufacturers of these things want to increase market share, then building add-ons for older systems is the way to go.

I stumbled across a site yesterday, which showed SDIO cameras, scanners, radios, even a digital TV tuner. Hmm now those would be good on a phone.

If you ask me the way to go on Smartphones will be one where you can upgrade the software, instead of binning the phone just to get the latest OS. But can anyone honestly see that happening?

Edited by Alex_le_brit

I disagree, with each new smartphone we are seeing advances in hardware, and you cant really expect a phone to last more than a year regardless of os.

I think we will see a wifi smartphone before the end of the year, but it will be quickly sacrificed to make way for 3g, im not conviced there is a need for wifi and 3g...

Guest Alex_le_brit
I disagree, with each new smartphone we are seeing advances in hardware, and you cant really expect a phone to last more than a year regardless of os.

I think we will see a wifi smartphone before the end of the year, but it will be quickly sacrificed to make way for 3g, im not conviced there is a need for wifi and 3g...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A difference of opinion I guess, I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to comes to computers. I have an old Dell, running Win 98SE, and an original SPV. I see people here changing their phones every 6 months and think to myself that I've got beter things to spend my money on.

As to 3G and WIFI, there's a big difference. 3G you pay for, WIFI you can get for free, so that's a sure fire way to see that the phone companies won't be happy to have a WIFI enabled Smartphone.

As to 3G and WIFI, there's a big difference. 3G you pay for, WIFI you can get for free, so that's a sure fire way to see that the phone companies won't be happy to have a WIFI enabled Smartphone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I´d agree on that. 3G won´t be happy about widespread WiFi phones, as there are still many free WiFi spots, depending on your location. It´s like developing a Car based upon hydoxid-cells in a world full of pertocorps :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Can you kindly tell me where is possible to get the beta of the application u're talking about?

I've an SPV E200, a SanDisk SD WiFi card, but nothing is working, driver are not compatible.

:(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you kindly tell me where is possible to get the beta of the application u're talking about?

I've an SPV E200, a SanDisk SD WiFi card, but nothing is working, driver are not compatible.

:lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the drivers from SyChip, but they are non-public. I can not send them to you and they wont give them you either. You will have to wait some more time until they release the drivers to the public and also make a custom SanDisk built for your card.

regards

yves

Guest PayableOnDeath
Please note: if you have some latest MS Smartphone like C500/STM5600 or MPx220 then you obviously can't use these drivers because these phones have mini-SD card slot - not usable for full-size SDIO Wi-Fi cards. There are no mini-SD Wi-Fi cards and there will never be.

:cry: :cry: :cry: noooooo damm my c500

oh why does it have to have mini-SD :lol:

I got the drivers from SyChip, but they are non-public. I can not send them to you and they wont give them you either. You will have to wait some more time until they release the drivers to the public and also make a custom SanDisk built for your card.

regards

yves

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you kindly please tell us when it will be?