E200 update on the way...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Kallisti
Significant advances have been made in audio quality (aka the 'buzzing' problem), and the audio is now comparable to other handsets

Sounds like news on the buzzing to me?

As for those expecting this in a few days, history suggests a few months might be a more reasonable timescale. I'm just hoping it doesn't break my BT car kit support.

Guest skjelnes
The new ROM, apart from significantly longer battery life, brings many more improvements:

* improved Bluetooth driver - now it is possible to connever over Bluetooth with Pocket PC 2003 devices

* activation of serial ports for Bletooth (inbound and outbound ports) works fine - important for using of GPS receivers with the smartphone

* new radio version 1.12.01 (compared to 1.09.00 previously)

* Bluetooth programs in menu now got typical Bluetooth icon

Does this mean you can use it as a Bluetooth-modem for Pocket PC 2003 and laptops?

Guest bikespod

this really is good news. i'm currently waiting to hear from orange exec on an equivalent replacement, not the downgrades they are offering. was really not looking forward to any of the alternatives and would really miss modaco. if it sorts the t9, the buzz and the battery i'll definitely stay loyal for sure. please please please let it be soon. another month would be bearable, just. come on orange get it right this time, restore our faith in you and your products. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest JampoTT

Does this mean you can use it as a Bluetooth-modem for Pocket PC 2003 and laptops?

You already can!! I have an Ipaq 4150 and use the E200 as a BT modem. Followed the instructions someone has kindly posted on the E200 section of this forum, and it works like a charm.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr_Protozoa

FFS! Can't they hurry it up a bit?!

This battery is starting to annoy! I get 9 hours use out of it before it starts complaining! (Unless i disable the SD)

Guest Dumdidum

Ah BTW: You will not get 3 days of akku time...

I would say with SD in and normal use its 1.5 days!

But standby-time has been increased significantly! If you let your phone on without radio on (p.e. you want to use the alarm in the morning) it uses 4% in 8 hours (!)

If you turn on the radio you have 9% in 8 hours

Guest Simon Desser

And a VERY rough translation:-

Here a small very interesting message that I received on behalf of Orange France... Orange will provide during first about fifteen March an update for the SPV E200. Among the improvements will appear in particular the following elements: - Autonomy of the battery: A work of optimization was carried out in order to improve autonomy (up to 100 hours in day before in decontaminated Bluetooth mode and with a good radio operator signal). In addition, it is from now on possible to buy one second battery on the shop of the site orange.fr. - Bluetooth: Bluetooth allows from now on the use as modem since the PDA Microsoft. The dialogues used at the time of the appairage were corrected and it is easier to parameterize a connection Active Sync via Bluetooth. - Quality of the sound in the loudspeaker and the ear-phones: The filtering of its was re-examined so that you can hear and heard more clearly. In addition, other elements were added or corrected: - the reader Packet Vidéo pre-is installed so that you can benefit from the new video heading of the gate Orange World. - the applications Config. e-mail and Import of contacts pre-are also installed. It is easier to configure your account e-mail (Orange, Wanadoo, another supplier of access Internet) or to import your contacts since another infra-red telephone. - connections were corrected so that MSN Messenger functions without having to modify them. - And some other improvements... To note the support of the its AMR in the MMS and the problem of taken down inopportune keyboard locked via the joystick could not be treated for the moment but will be it in a future version.

Still no bloody sounds in MMS messages :twisted:

4 Months!!! assuming it's on time :!:

By the way, Sony Eriscsson have already released 3 firmware updates for the P900 :!:

Come on Orange/HTC/MS - 4 of my mates have given up on the E200 and gone for P900's :!:

Guest drblow

Too right Simon! :x

It's a joke the way Orange handle these updates. 2 of my mates have already quit Orange & E200's in favour of P900's on Voda - and they are alot happier! I don't personally like symbian, although as a platform it seems to be more stable, much better supported & developed than smartphone.

Interesting to see that the French release mentions speaker quality. I think thats the first time I've ever seen it mentioned in print. I can't see the situation improving with Orange realistically tho, can you? They're already in the habit of providing 1 update a year, & if the last ones are anything to go by, this one will be extraordinarily late, & will not resolve all the bugs people are concerned with. To be honest, I'll be very suprised if the battery life is actually noticeably different. It's the speaker quality that'll clinch it for me. I've had enough of holding the phone tight against my ears in an effort to hear people speak. Much as I love SP2003, once the update is out & if it doesn't fix the buzz then my only option is an mpx200.

Guest Simon Desser
i don't get it, it says we might get it around the 15th march, where is the 4months part listed ???

4 months from when the phone came out (Mid November to Mid March) :?

And it sounds like it still won't fix the no sound in MMS problem :shock: which WASN'T a problem on all previous SPV's :evil:

Guest morpheus2702

I can see the headline in the News of the World now: "Lord Lucan found dead clutching E200 Smartphone".

Or actually, if it was more like Cluedo you could guess "umm, Mr Orange, in the Orange development centre, with a rusty SPV". :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.