Update: BlindLemon Font Installer : Enable Fonts

Guest MrMagoo

Guest MoRFLeZ
For info :

In the MetroSP app you can choose between the different installed fonts

That's actually very interesting! And it works too .. changes the fonts right away!

o/

Guest MrMagoo

Do we need to uninstall the prev version or just install it over???

Great APP!!!

Tnx.

you don't need to uninstall because the phone does that for you when you install the new version.

Don't bother upgrading if you already have version 1.00 working - this version does not add any new functionality except the inbuilt update to the bootup registry....

More functionality updates soon (although I must sleep at some point) :shock:

Guest MrMagoo
I have tried all the aforementioned methods and I have Comic Sans MS in my Storage/Windows/Fonts folder, I have installed 1.01 of the Font installer and enabled load at bootup, my registry Sysfnt/nm value is "Comic Sans MS" but when I reboot, nothing happens!

I am using an O2 Xphone running Smartphone 2003. Would the fact that my phone is able to read/write chinese (i.e. some type of Chinese OS) prevent this from loading? Although my setting for Language is US English and my regional setting is also English (US).

Incidentally, my phone does not have an option to change font size in the accessibility menu in Settings. Any ideas why? Or could this indrectly be the cause of not being able to change the system font?

can you check the contents of registry key HKLMInit and see if you have an entry for this app? if so please post up the contents of the LaunchXX and dependxx values for it.

Guest MrMagoo
1.01 boot mode doesnt work on my E200. Ive put a shortcut in the startup folder and it works perfectly.  :wink:

Did you use the menu option to install into boot? and if so did it say it had worked or failed? can you see if there is an entry in HKLMInit for this app?

Guest MrMagoo
Uninstalled version 1.0 - even tho it worked flawlessly!

Installed the new version and it seems to be working just fine!

Thanks for your help with support on this thread btw :)

Guest kelv23

only just noticed that this is running for 2002,not tried it yet.anyone got it to work on an mpx200?

MrMagoo any other stuff in the pipeline?

congrats!!!!!!!

Guest StylishLemur

Thanks for your help with support on this thread btw :D

try version 1.01 and it is working

so back to 1.0 now, dont know the reason why also

:)

Guest MrMagoo

try version 1.01 and it is working

so back to 1.0 now, dont know the reason why also

:)

Sorry, I am confused - are you saying that version 1.01 did NOT work?

Guest marcf78

Did you use the menu option to install into boot? and if so did it say it had worked or failed? can you see if there is an entry in HKLMInit for this app?

It seems to work but doesnt

HKLMinitDepend42=1E 00 21 00 (type=reg_binary)

HKLMinitLaunch42=StorageProgram FilesBlindLemonBLAddFont.exe (type=reg_sz)

Could you make the same for BLmanualSD ? :wink:

Guest shadamehr

Ok - I've just installed the new version 1.01, and switched my phone off. It's rebooting as i type this (I had first ran the new version and chose the menu option to install it into the Boot process).

My phone is nearly booted up so I am waiting to post the results.... And they are that.... Nothing different happens.

The Start/Contacts Button and the MAIN Menu list are in the normal font, but then again even with a manual load of your application this was the case. BUT... the Contacts list itself is still in the normal font etc.

I've now just MANUALLY ran your new version 1.01... And my Contacts List font etc etc is STILL the normal system font.

So in effect, this is doing even LESS for me that the last version alas Mr Magoo.

BUT WAIT - crazy or what...? If I choose Settings from the Main Menu, that sub menu is now again in the NEW font.

But NOT SO now, my contacts list, as it was under the old version. My SMS application has changed to the new font too now.

So to summarise, the NEW version still does not cure the manual run problem - I still need run it manually, AND worse, whilst it never used to alter the Start/Contact button text font, it DID however under version 1.00 change the Contacts list font, sub menu fonts, and sms application fonts.

Now it no longer changes the contact lists font.

Soon as I have more time, as I'm flying off now, I will delve into my registry keys.

Though I can indicate that with the LAST version, I had a quick check, and there was an entry under the Launchxx number value, that was a path to the application.

That was there under version 1.00

(Just looked - its Launch42 under the new version 1.01 - so its there. Not sure if this is after my manual run or automatically from boot up though)

Hope this helps.

EDIT************

Just done a re-boot to do a more proper check...

From a boot up, without any user intervention, the fonts definitely do not change. I have checked the sub-menus, that WERE working before, and these are no different.

Additionally, the registry key for Launch42 is still there, with the path to the App, as mentioned above by the other poster.

Soon as I go into my Start Menu however, and run the application, then go back inot the Settings sub-menu, and the new font is working.

My Contacts list STILL does not use the new font however under version 1.01

NEXT STEP...

Just removed ver 1.01, and now re-installed version 1.00 now.

Busy rebooting...

And... NOTHING on an auto run as it were (just as before though), BUT, after a manual run of the app, the sub-menus get changed to the new font, AND the Contacts list does again now.

I hope all this info is helpful to you Mr Magoo.

Guest MrMagoo

It seems to work but doesnt

HKLMinitDepend42=1E 00 21 00 (type=reg_binary)

HKLMinitLaunch42=StorageProgram FilesBlindLemonBLAddFont.exe (type=reg_sz)

Could you make the same for BLmanualSD ? :wink:

These phones seem to be behaving differently for a lot of people - I think that rather than worry about trying to decipher what is going on during boot I will concentrate my efforts on working out how to get the system to swap system fonts on the fly - then we will be able to just put he app in the startup folder.

These phones are great - but boy are they bastards 8)

As far as BLmanualSD is concerned, I can add the startup stuff in, but I just put it in the startup folder myself and that works fine - however, if enough people want it, I will do it.

Guest MrMagoo
Oh B*ll*cks...

I was just about to revert back to version 1.00 which was better for me (still no auto run, but it DID alter contact list on a manual load - the new version doesn't) - BUT I can't, as I have overwritten my copy on my PC, and you now only have version 1.01 posted on here.

Can you upload version 1.00 again please Mr Magoo?

Version 1.00 is still on the first post - i just checked, however the ONLY difference is in the method used to create the reg values Launchxx and Dependxx, NOTHING else has changed in this version.

If you are getting such strange behavior - I am even more inclined to think that trying to get the fonts loaded before home.exe and appman.exe run is not working.

I did test making them both depend on this app, but that had disastrous effects resulting in a hard reset :) so I am not keen to do that again!

I could try it again tonight when I get back to my emulator though - otherwise I will continue to try and make the system updateable without a reboot - that would be infinitely better anyway!

In the meantime you could try doing what some other people have done and use a task manager to kill / restart the start menu - personally I haven't had any success with that, but then again - my phone works perfectly with this tweak at bootup :oops:

One other thought - have you got lots of fonts installed or is the font you are using particularly large (file size) - I only have four new fonts installed which total just over 400KB in size - I am wondering if yours are bigger and whether that is causing the system to take longer to register them ?

Guest Eleventh
One other thought - have you got lots of fonts installed or is the font you are using particularly large (file size) - I only have four new fonts installed which total just over 400KB in size - I am wondering if yours are bigger and whether that is causing the system to take longer to register them ?

I have also installed 4 fonts (approx 360kb).

i have notice that on bootup after the operator screen(QTek 7070) the screen turns white for about 5 seconds before it goes to the windows boot screen.

Then i tried deleteng 3 of the fonts i used and i think it lessens the wait on the white screen.

Guest shadamehr
Version 1.00 is still on the first post - i just checked, however the ONLY difference is in the method used to create the reg values Launchxx and Dependxx, NOTHING else has changed in this version.
Indeed - just edited my post to clear that up

In the meantime you could try doing what some other people have done and use a http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7065>Task Manager to kill / restart the start menu - personally I haven't had any success with that, but then again - my phone works perfectly with this http://smartphone.MoDaCo.com/viewtopic.php?t=7695>tweak at bootup  :oops:

Just tried using SP Task Manager to kill the start application. INTERESTING. Whilst it still does not alter the font displayed on the Programs/Contacts button, it DOES now change the MAIN MENUS to the new font - nice one.

I just have Arial Narrow, Comic, and Trebuchet - but I seem to recall this behaviour when I only had one font, comic sans, copied over.

Thanks again though mate for all your help.

Guest Sv1000

It doesn't seems work for me !

Manually, it work perfectly ! But not with Install on Boot !

If I launch app after boot, I can see my font.

Any idea ?

Seb = = = o>°o

Okay, i've tried all methods of getting this working on here.

This is what i've concluded:-

1. On my phone (E200, SP2003), I needed to put the shortcut into the Startup Folder

2. This method doesn't seem to work for TrueType fonts (i.e. Arial Black Italic)... only OpenType fonts (i.e. Arial Black, Arial Narrow etc.). Most of the Windows fonts are OpenType, but the majority of 3rd party ones are TrueType

That got me working, hopefully it will help you lot out as well :)

Regards

Mort

P.S (WingDings is an OpenType font, so why not try that! :roll: )

Guest MrMagoo

Mort may have something there - I am pretty sure the fonts I am using are "Opentype" fonts as well and it works every time on mine...

currently using "Century Gothic" for my system and homescreen and this is definitely an "Opentype" font.

Guest MrMagoo

Damn Mort - good spot !

I just tried a Truetype font as my system font and it did exactly like other people are saying - the Start and Contacts buttons didn't use the ttf font, they used nina!

I have just set it back to an opentype font and they are working again.

Let's hope this is what the problem is for others! :)

Glad I could help :shock:

When I installed Visio 2003, it installed a funky new font called Technic (TrueType), which would have looked the mutts nuts... Thats what i tried to get working... but alas.

I've gone with Arial Narrow instead which is OpenType. Which looks professional, and when your typing an SMS, you can fit a novel on one screen!

You tell the difference between the 2 different types in windows, by looking at the icon. OpenType fonts have a green "O" on a white icon. TrueType has "TT" in blue.

Makes you wonder what else Microsoft have hidden from our unsuspecting tweaker-thumbs. The support for fonts is all there, just needs to be accessed the right way. Thanks from all of us MrMagoo :)

*bows*

Mort

Guest shadamehr
I've gone with Arial Narrow instead which is OpenType. Which looks professional, and when your typing an SMS, you can fit a novel on one screen!

You tell the difference between the 2 different types in windows, by looking at the icon. OpenType fonts have a green "O" on a white icon. TrueType has "TT" in blue.

Mort

Apart from one small slight tiny problem...

Arial Narrow IS the font I have been trying to use with no joy throughout this entire thread of my experiences.

I can't get it to work as the Programs/Contacts button text.

However, with a manual run of Mr Magoo's app, and then an SP Task Manager kill of the Sart process, I CAN however get it to work for all the system menus, sub menus, sms apps, and soft keys EXCEPT for the standy ones (Start/Contacts)

So not sure its as simple as TrueType Open Type distincions guys...

EDIT!!!!

Using the good advice above, I copied the link to the application into my Startup folder.

And get this - it solved EVERYTHING - soon as my phone boots, the new font is used for everything - including the PIN code request box, AND the Start/Contacts button now!

I thoroughly recommend anyone having intermmittant but sort of some success to try this step!!!!!!