Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I originaly made up a special cable (I used the XDA diagrams) for my E100 and this works on my E200 as well.

As long as it is a serial XDA or XDA-II then I dont think you will have any problems.

Good luck

Guest spridget

Iám waiting for my gps mouse with xda cable and will post my review soon!

Does annywone know if the 12v cable feeds the gps mouse AND the spv?

Pitty that mamopolis is only in english, but in time there will be

Route 66 for windows mobile 2003 = usable for 2002 ?

Navignon Mobile navigator 4

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Don't really know about the power, but this is what I think anyway.

If the cable is designed to power an XDA then it should power the SPV as for the mouse, again if it is designed for the XDA cable etc then I would expect it to take power from the cable.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

They do exist, but I have had a quick look and I cant find any :D

I will have a better look when I get back home, in the meantime I would recommend you try specalist XDA websites

Guest spridget

just tried my new royaltek rgf 2000 mouse with xda cable.

It charges the phone but cant'get a gps fix?

with mamopolis the screens says running/no fix !!

DAMN set port and baut rate on default, nothing works?

Is it because it is cloudy?

DOCTOR HELP ME !!!!!

Guest mavisdavis

before I spend my cash i'm after a bluetooth aerial.Can anybody give links to one's they have purchased and photo's if possible....Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest gazzaw
Thanks for the info. Any special rocommendation about a good quality cable to buy?

I use the tom tom XDA cable with a leadtek GPS and it works fine after 6 months. Charges phone and GPS so time to fix is <1sec.

Hope this helps

P.S. any XDA cable should work as pinouts are the same for SPV

Guest mavisdavis

Yes Dr. I should of stated bluetooth, I'd prefer bluetooth so it's compatible with future phones not overly keen on replacing cables every 12 months hence the fact I don't own a carkit I plug it into an aux-in socket at the front of my cd player.Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest spridget

The Gps with mapopolis works o.k but

mapopolis/ Spv quits after prox. 7 minutes?

I hope navi software dutch spoken will be there soon, :cry:

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I agree about the cables.

This is the unit I got not too long ago TomTom BT GPS and if you look around this is a very good price for a BT GPS (you can pay this much for a serial type)

It does not come with the fancy screw bracket that I have seen with the older units, just the cables, charger and a small metal plate with a self adhesive backing which the TomTom can stick to (magnetic inside)

It works pretty good most of the time but I have had to un-bond and re-bond the unit a few times (my mate has the same problem with his IPAQ and TomTom software) but on the whole it runs and it appears to run quicker (I.E update the screen) than my serial gps.

As for Mapopolis stopping after 7 mins are you running this on an E200 if so you may have fallen foul of the SD Card bug this little beauty keeps the card alive and stops Mapopolis from crashing.

If you are running not on an E200 then I don't know what to suggest, does it crash if you don't start the GPS? or what if you set your settings to log GPS data, go for a drive then play back the log does it hang then??

Guest spridget

i've got a spv classic, gonna try to read the log file, thanks!

I sent a mail to mapopolis if it is possible to use dutch language:

Does it read out the FULL direction pane or just the turn instructions? I am

trying to find out if it uses PSPEAK or MapopolisWords. I don't have one

myself -- Lamar who returns tomorrow does. If it uses the WORDS file option,

there is a Dutch version. If it uses PSPEAK there is not, but who knows what

the future will bring. When the translations are done, it should read whatever

is there. We are working on French, Spanish, Italian and German now

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I have read the threads on the Mapopolis official forum and there is a lot of discussion about custom voice packs but these are not for the PocketPC or SmartPhone versions. Our version uses PSPEAK which is limited in the voice but is unlimited in what it can say.

What I mean is that even top range products like TomTom 3 has a massive collection of wav files installed and if you play these they are along the lines of "Turn left", "Turn right", "500 meters" etc all prerecorded.

What Mapopolis does it do dynamically generate the speech for you so that it is not limited to the prerecorded files. I.E. if you have just turned a bend and have 20 meters to the turn you need then something like TomTom is stuck because that last recording is something like "100 meters" whereas Mapopolis will say "in 20 meters turn right" then as you get closer "in 7 meters turn right" etc

The other feature that makes Mapopolis stand out is again where other packages allow you to specify how far away to start speaking, Mapopolis lets you specify how long instead. This I find most useful if you are in very slow traffic other packages will stop announcing details after 100 meters (which in busy London it may take 15mins to travel that far, and by then I have forgot!) but with Mapopolis you specify how long before the turn (default 60 seconds) so it does not matter how slow or fast you are going it always announces in just enough time.

Not wanting it to make it look like I am on commission but its other outstanding feature is that Mapopolis will also tell you that your turn is next on the left, right which I have never seen before. Again in real life this means I am driving down a road and Mapopolis announces "In 320 meters turn left onto Rover Drive" (it also pronounces the road names as well!!) now this may be the 3rd on the left so what happens is as you drive past the 2nd turn Mapopolis will then say "In about 63 meters prepare to turn left onto Rover Drive, Rover Drive is next on the left" which for someone like me is fantastic, I don't really need to look at the screen, just listen.

So (eventually) in answer to your question it does read out the direction pane, but the voice cant be changed yet (Lamar has promised more voices in the future) but with its dynamic speech it more than makes up for the way it sounds.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest A.Hughes

Hi Guys

Can you get additional information to load into mapopolis like hotels, garages, atm's and similar stuff.

I have downloaded some files but they have OV2 extensions, never heard of these before.

Is there anyhting like this available for mapopolis, cant find any on their GPS Passion site!!

Thanks in advance for any help guys :D :D

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi A.Huges

I haven't seen any extra overlays for Mapopolis and the files you mentioned are for TomTom.

You can create your own overlays from .LOC files (which can be created from CSV files) Mapopolis have a free program from Mapopolis for this.

I can tell you what you need to convert them or if you have any CSV files I can convert them for you.

Guest A.Hughes

Thanks for the reply Dr, as you are the modaco expert on mapoplis, can i convert the OV2 folders i have to be read by Mapopolis?

If so that would be great, some of the info for my line of work anyway would be priceless.

Thanks again :D

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

:D Hi again, you are in luck :lol:

I can now convert OV2 files into Mapopolis format :D

But at the moment Mapopolis does not support custom icons :D (at the moment) so you will need to let me know which ones you would like, open Mapopolis, press This Location, then press Add Landmark (it does not matter where you are) then scroll through the icons until you find one you like.

Please make sure that any data you post is not copyrighted or you have permission to post the data.

Guest A.Hughes

Blummin star you are Dr, i will send you the files all zipped, no bigger all of them than 100k, some have got icons packaged with them, but icons realting to hotel etc will do fine.

Hope to hear back soon, and thanks again, oh by the way none of the files have copyright or any other infringements.

:D :D

Guest skanna

Dear Doc ST

Just a few questions about Mapopolis- I've been using it for some time and its easily the best application for the E200. Do you know when the actual 'real' version will be released? The program we are all using is a BETA program. Also, can you connect the phone to a Road Angel unit? I am thinking of getting one anyway although I do have a BT GPS unit. The bluetooth connection is sometimes lost, which is a pain especially while you are driving! And finally, my E200 sometimes freezes while running the program. This has only started to happen recently and it may be the phone. But the phone just stops responding and has to rebooted?! May need a hard reset, but I haven't got the time at the moment.

Any ideas?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Skanna, glad to hear you like Mapopolis (no I am not on commision)

With regard to the Road Angel unit I posted this article not too long ago about someone else with the same question. Hope this helps.

As for when the final release is due then your guess is as good as mine, I have not heard anything from Mapopolis for some time other than the boss over there took all the bugs and enhancments to the programmers. Maybe this means soon :?:

As for the lockup's I also have the same problem since I have upgraded to an E200 (my E100 ran Mapopolis for 7 hours continuously once!!) and this is almost certainly due to the SD Card bug.

Mobistar and Qtek release Voyager updates, WITH SD BUG!

I find this helps, but use the later version.

Beersofts "keep your sdcard working in your e200"

One word of advice, if you do go for the hard reset keep you .BIN files as these save all your settings.

Guest A.Hughes

Hi Guys

After reading every reply in this topic i m no nearer to finding an answer to why i cannot mapopolis working with my E200 and foruna BT GPS clip on.

I have removed and reapplied the mapopolis app to both my phone and SD card, and still no joy

I checked my phones ROM version 2.6.1.3,,,,thought this was the wrong one after reading another thread, but now believe it to be correct, so shouldnt be an issue with Blue tooth.

Checked the Beta version of mapopolis its says 4.42, but apparently there is a version 3 of this Beta, if any one has the .cab for version 3 i would be grateful if you could either post here of pm me a copy.

I have purchased the top range of maps from mapopolis which includes voice support, so i should really be seeing some sort of action on my E200.

checked and unchecked the BT serial port 7, but still the application hangs and i have to do a soft reset.

All in all i am getting nowhere.

After bonding and checking all the right settings i go to switch on GPS and it hangs on checking com7,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is it me or just my phone, i have read countless posts saying how quickly and first time the fortuna BTgps clip on worked with mapopolis and their E200 smartphone.

Can anyone please hed some light, or is it just a case of either a hard reset (never done one of them before) or re-install the the ROM version 2.1.6.3, i have all my stuff backed up so i am prpared for the worst, but hopefully the last two will be the worst case scenario.

Any help greatfully received, i am sure the stars of this site will come good and resolve this issue.

Hope to hear soon guys :? :D :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.