Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

I've got the same set up as you but run, (almost), problem free, so will try and give you a hand, but don't hold yer hopes too high, i've just finished a big spliff!

Right, see if this does owt for you,

I reccomend using task manager to close all currently running programs on yer e200.

Get yer clip-on, turn it on, stick it on windowsill, It'll take a while to get a fix, (the middle l.e.d. will turn green), so in the meantime switch the e200's bluetooth "ON" (You have bonded yer phone and clip-on i presume?, to make sure when in bluetooth selection press "MENU", then "BONDED DEVICES" and "Clipon-BTGPS" should be present).

Open mapopolis, select "MENU", "SETTINGS","GPS OPTIONS", Select "COM7", Baud Rate "38400", "DONE".

Have a quick look at yer clip-on, has the light turned green? if so stand within 10meters...... ( :D who am i kidding within like 2m!) Press "MENU", "GPS","START GPS", after a few "bong sounds" the puprle "checking com7" should change to a green "running". press "DONE"

Hopefully you should recognize the place highlighted on the screen.

Quote from Mapopolis website : "Platinum maps do not support GPS devices." - You haven't got them there Platinum maps have ya??

Hope this helps,

Guest A.Hughes

Hi (refering to your state when replying to this request :D ) Bro

You wont blummin believe it, 10 mins after my writing my mini war and peace epic, i tried one more thing, dont know why but i did. I went to configs and BT serial setup, unchecked both in and out and switched off my phone took out the battery, waited 30 seconds and switched on again.

Went back to configs and BT serial setup ticked com7 for ougoing pressed done and BOOM, nearly peed my pants a message came up saying please bond device which will use outgoing com7. This i did immediately before my living room turned to niagra falls, and guess what,,,,started mapopolis went to start GPS, 2 seconds later an alarm and there i appeared, were i should have on the screen (my location that is) with 7 satelites in view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant really understand why this happened all of a sudden, maybe the configs folder was a bit buggy and when i unchecked the boxes and turned off it some how reset itself. I had only unchecked and checked the boxes before and never really switched the phone off an on.

But now, what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :lol:

Guest 404error

Dutch Camera

Click the link above to download the file with the Dutch Camera's

Now in Dutch:

Hallo Nederlanders,

ik heb met behulp van www.flitspaal.nu een file gemaakt met Nederlandse flitscamera's. Het beslaat ruim de helft van de camera's in Nederland. Surf naar www.flitpaal.nu en kijk van welke camera's in jouw omgeving nog geen coordinaten aanwezig zijn en werk aan de 100% dekking!!!

Guest tooney

Have installed Mapopolis and a couple of demo maps but cannot get navigation to work. Maps load fine, I pick a start point and a destination then get "Error encountered processing directions. Code 8260

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

I have an E200 with Imate rom 1.10.15.2

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

This may sound like a silly question, but have you loaded sufficient maps to cover you from start to destination :?:

Also you might want to try loading the Major roads map as well.

If you still cant get anywhere just load one map (your area) and generating a route from your house to something like your local pub.

If this works then everything is ok and it looks even more like you may have a 'hole' in your maps, if you still get the same error then all I can suggest is that you try to re-install Mapopolis.

Hope this helps.

Guest tooney

No good, it refuses to tell me how to get to anywhere. Even tried my house to the house next door and got the same error. Reinstalled mapopolis, 1 map loaded and it can't even get me to the end of the road or anywhere else on the map. Brilliant! And my GPS receiver comes tomorrow :D Might resort to a hard reset or even go back to Orange ROM, see if that helps. I did get it to give the 1 direction when I 1st loaded it but it was all down hill from there, just error 8260 whatever I do now.

Guest SafeHarbor

Tooney, an 80xx error usually indicates a corrupted map. As this is a sequencing error, it will normally prevent route generation. Try reinstalling your map rather than the program.

These can also be caused by card read failures that occur during processing. There's nothing to be done about that other than the reset the phone, and remove and reinsert the card.

Guest tooney

All working now. I downloaded the maps again, deleted old maps, reset phone then reinstalled everything and it works like a charm now :D

Can't wait for GPS to arrive to try it out.

Guest mjheathcote

"For anyone else who wants to convert TomTom OV2, etc waypoints into Mapopolis then here are instructions on what to do."

Empty space!!!!

Has your post Dr_StrangeTrick been censored ? :?

I would really like to know how to convert waypoints into Mapopolis.

Thanks.

Guest mavisdavis

:P Got my Fortuna BTCLIP-on today and d/loaded the nottingham demo maps but I cant get it to talk to me when once I've made a route? Do the demo maps support speach?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Yes the demo maps have speach included.

To turn on speach open Mapopolis press Menu, go to Settings, Route/Navigation and go to the last option on the page and tick the 'Recite Route Step Text' then press Menu again and go to Sounds and make sure the 'Voice Prompts starting' and the remainder of the options are ticked.

Guest mavisdavis

Cheers Dr.

Shame the wifes gone out in the car now. I'll have a play in the morning but if it wasn't for reading this thread I'd would of still been lost :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Blakey

Okay, so I've had the platinum version for a few months now - dead good. Its really cool when you have a co-driver as you can set up a route and then they can navigate for you. However this week I get my new car and decided I'm getting a GPS system for it, so I've just ordered a Fortuna clip on GPS. Should be here tomorrow. I'm also upgrading my maps from platinum to navigator level.

My first question is: Is there a place to go for mapopolis POI databases? I'm especially interested in pubs! :P People always tend to navigate via pubs so it would be great to be able to search based on that information. I've read this whole thread and can find no mention of such a place. If it doesn't exist, perhaps someone here could start one? There's clearly a big user base...

Cheers!

Blakey

P.S. Expect many more questions/comments on this when my new GPS turns up!! :-)

Guest A.Hughes

Hi Blakey

Yes there is a site, its the official mapopolis site, you will find the link in this thread, it doesnt have much, but what is there is useful.

I think that when they launch the official release of mapopolis for Smartphone, we will see a deluge of POI information ,,,,,,,,,,by the way does anyone know a date for the the official release, seen on here a month or two back that the Director had sent all the info, bugs etc to the programmers?????

Sorry i digressed a little, any more info letsknow, i use the Fotuna GPS, is great unit!!

:P

Guest SafeHarbor

Well, there's life in this old thread yet. :P

First of all, much to our great surprise, somebody does not like Mapopolis:

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2921.html

and the latest I've heard is a directive from the CEO that we shall at least have the support for the translations in place in the betas for all platforms before we proceed. As I'm participating in assembling these (all professional translations, I'm very pleased to relate), I know about where it stands.

Look for the final beta in September, and then maybe a quickie, or a painful, further bug fix version, and then the full release.

I'm also privvy to a little news about where the program is heading, and I can promise you that the release is not the end of innovation. Far from it. Long term to-do items now apply to both Pocket PC AND to Smartphone, and this can only be good for both platforms. Please stay tuned.

PS - My MPx200 is now on the AT&T Wireless "GSM America" plan, and, gee, I can surf, sort of. (The SPVe200 is in the hands of the programmers now. It worked great with my Emtac BT receiver, except for some random card read failures, but I had to send it on. Such is life.)

Guest A.Hughes

Hi safeharbor, thanks for the update, cant wait for the new Beta!!! Dont worry about the numpty at msmobiles,,,,,,,his space ship leaves soon,,,,,keep us posted here of any further developments and thanks for posting your info, look forward to hearing back from you soon :P :D

I would just like to add that this is the best piece of software there is for my SPV, its invaluable to me (as a member of a search & rescue team) and having used the likes of TomTom on an Ipaq, not only is it better but its also way cheaper (£70 for Euro map pack compared to at least double for tom tom!!!) So ignore the idiots on MSMobiles, its official, Mapopolis rules :P

Thanks for the update SafeHarbor, keep us posted (saves me a trip to GPSPassion :D )

Guest Blakey

Just took Mapopolis and my new Fortuna Clip On BT GPS for a test drive and am quite pleased with the results. So far these are my observations:

1. The GPS thinks I live in a house 2 doors down from where I do live. Not too bad but that inaccuracy could lead to hassle finding locations? Is there a way to increase the accuracy of the GPS? At one stage I took a wrong turn to see what it would do and it got confused as to which road I was on - because there are two roads very close together. I think some playing might be in order to work this one out.

2. That voice is quite hard to understand. Maybe you get used to it. I shall look forward to some more easy to understand voices in future. Anyone have any tips on how to improve its "understandability"?

3. It is quite quiet - I had to hold the phone up to make out what it was saying over the stereo - which was on reasonably quietly. I see there is a setting to increase the loudness of the voice but that leads to more distortion and harder to understand.

4. I don't (yet) have a phone holder for my car. I see I'm going to need one so I can easily see the map as I think this will make the speach a lot easier to understand.

Other than these little comments I have to say I'm dead impressed!! I'm going to Wales from Sussex at the weekend and will give it a real test then...

Cheers

Blakey

Guest Blakey

Question regarding hearing the robot voice: if you have a BT headset, does it speak the voice into your ear? I don't yet have a headset for the E200 and think its probably time I got one for the times I get called whilst driving. If mapopolis also speaks through the headset that would clinch it. :-)

Cheers

Blakey

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.