Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Yeap running on the new E200 rom (took quite a few tries to get Mapopolis to talk to my BT GPS after upgrading :roll: ) but that was the next thing I tried after hearing about BT improvements.

The trouble is when I had an E100 and and normal serial gps mouse attached to my old Safe-2-Talk car kit, everything worked first time and the voice was a lot clearer through the car kit speaker.

Now I have an E200 with BT GPS and at least once a week I have to unbond/rebond the gps as they simply refuse to talk and now I don't have a volume control for the voice (unless I go to settings etc, not a good idea when driving) and when you are doing 70Mph :wink: its a bit difficult to hear with all the background noise :P

But Mapopolis have promised more voices in the future.

Guest Blakey

Presumably, if you plug a cable headset into the E200, you get the voices in your ear - as it just routes all noise to the headset, right? Seems strange that it doesn't work through the headset. I guess that's to do with the BT profile? I wonder if the c500, with its improved BT handling, will be able to play these voices through the headset? Which profile would it need, I wonder?

I'm curious.... :-)

Hey. Paul, if you're reading this (or anyone with a c500, mapopolis and a BT headset), can you try it and tell us, please? :-)

Thanks

Blakey

Guest GilesHopgood

Any body tried serial GPS on their New C500 yet, like tooney, I too am worried about this. I would love to upgrade my E200 to a C500, but my mostly used application is Mappololis with a Fortuna U2 GPS Mouse. I can see that a usb cable is available but this is the full size item. I am assuming some sort of adapter might be available. If I have to add the cost of buying a bluetooth GPS unit, then the cost of upgrading gets silly. :x

Guest mjheathcote

Just purchased a Garmin Etrex bluetooth adapter with car power plug from

http://www.semsons.com/index.html

99 dollars including shipping.

Less than 55 pounds but I may have to pay a little tax on delivery.

The life of my Etrex lives on, and should work with the new C500 or any other bluetooth smartphone/PDA/laptop.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chucky.egg

@LEFTKOYL

AFAIK the original SPV didn't have Bluetooth, so you would need to find a GPS receiver that you could connect to the phone. Try looking for an IPAQ solution as I think the SPV had the same connector as the IPAQs

@GilesHopgood

Mapopolis works fine on the C500 with a Bluetooth GPS unit

does the bluetooth connection cut out sometimes, like on the e200? This usually happens while your driving and the phone has to 'think' for some reason ie recalculate the route. Bluetooth turns itself off and gps is lost.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Griffog over at Pocket GPS World has updated the speed camera database.

I have sent a revised Mapopolis format to be posted so look out for this soon. For those who cant wait see my earlier posts on how to convert the OV2 files to MLP files.

Safe driving.

Ok, having read the entire thread (boy is it long :) ) I have a request for help.

I have just received my Fortuna Clip-on BT GPS and I can't get mapopolis on my C500 to communicate with it.

I have enabled the BT serial emulation (COM6 in, COM7 out) and I have set mapopolis to use COM7.

When I start GPS in mapopolis I get the following message

Info

GPS Port (COM7: ) is not available.

I have no other BT devices partnered.

any ideas?

When you set up the com port, it will ask you to bond with a device.

You will need to add your BT device at this point. If it was set up before this point, you will get that message.

Hope this helps

Rik

Well, after reading this thread and getting a Fortuna clip on, I splashed the cash on Mapopolis yesterday and I can only say I'm very disappointed. I admit I live in a rural area of North Wales (Gwynedd map), but my road is off an A road and is not shown. The local Marina (one of the biggest in the area) is not shown, despite being there for 12 years and the road to it IS shown- the nearest is a tiny affair 20 odd miles away. I then checked out my parents address in Cheshire - there is only 1 number shown for the whole road.

I know I could add the Marina in, but I feel very let down by Mapopolis. I haven't spoke to them yet but has any one here had any experience with refunds?

I believe from the reviews that the US maps are better. I go over 2/3 times a year and would be happy to swap my purchase from Europe to the US maps.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Travisb, sorry to hear about your problem. I have used Mapopolis in Wales on a couple of occasions and both times it has not let me down.

I personally have not had to request a refund from Mapopolis. But I fear you may be unsuccessful for two reasons.

Firstly any day now they are due to release new maps for England (keep checking the News on the Mapopolis site) and your roads may be in the new maps.

Secondly anyone is allowed to download and evaluate 'demo' maps. These contain the same data as the 'paid for' maps but they expire after 9 days.

Any area's not covered in the maps tell them about as they like to keep on top of Navteq (company who supply the map data) and anything that is missing they will pass on.

Sorry I cant offer any more advice, but good luck anyway.

Well, I can't fault the customer service at Mapopolis. A couple of emails to their customer support and they have agreed to swap my purchase to the US maps and refunded the difference. As they are relying on NavTeq to supply their Euro maps, I guess they are relying on them for accurate maps. I shall look forward to using the US versions when next over in San Jose/ Santa Cruz

Guest 404error

A few pages ago Lamar said that the final beta would be released in September...

But It still isn't there....

Does anybody have more information?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest noddyholder

NOTE FOR E200 USERS I bought from ebay a hard wired gps receiver tthat also charges your phone for about £40. It is meant for the O2 XDA but as the charging port thingy is the same i took the risk WOOHOO cheap gps and car carger GO FER IT

Guest SafeHarbor

Hi, all,

Mapopolis is about to announce the next phase of the beta test for Smartphone in preparation for the actual release.

Download:

http://kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/PPC/Smar...ne_2002.ARM.CAB

(I will be changing that link to the Mapopolis website when the Windows Installer appears there.)

Version 4.50.28 09 December 2004

* Adds "Cancel" menu choice for "Detour Now"

* pSpeak, in English, can be added to other languages. If you would like to have this option, contact [email protected] for instructions.

* De-shrinks the Find text entry field, which had mysteriously become smaller a few betas back.

Version 4.50 Release Notes

* 4.50 adds localization support for UK English, Dutch, Danish, German, French, Spanish, and Italian. Male and female voice choices are available for most languages.

* Implements "Detour Now" function assignable to a button. If you make a mistake entering the distance to detour around, select it again and make your correction. It will still detour to the original destination.

* Updates viewer for NE maps and better polygon rendering of bodies of water.

* pSpeak is now called "Text to Speech" within the program and is optional for the English language only.

* Existing voice files like Crystal, Mike, and Simone04 are not 100% compatible anymore. Please ask the kind authors of these voices to update their files.

This beta is focusing on LOCALIZATION - basically to get it to "speaka your language." Future releases will concentrate on fine-tuning for the specific needs of each language.

There are still a number of enhancements that are on the todo list.

Guest SafeHarbor

We don't know if we can make the Windows Installer work with 2002. WMS 2003 added some sort of install-through-to-the-card function that 2002 does not have. With 2002, everything has to land on the phone first, and then it installs to the card. Perhaps, when it gets a working language selector, this will be possible in WMS 2002. Anyway, we hope so at this point and intend to find out for certain this week.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.