Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Gorskar

What you mean This?

Hm, After looking around a bit I've found that my lovery demo map is going to expire in 9 days. Its good enough to warrant a flexing of the ol' credit card though methinks :)

Quite an amazing app!

Guest pbird49

Can anyone get this ROM update? I have installed the app and it's looking dandy. I also have a BT GPS but can't get it to work as yet. If anyone knows how to get the GPS device working without this Beta update then I would very much like to know how.

Well.. Its supposed to have been enabled in the Beta update from Orange. To quote Paul, who has the update... So there is hope yet ! :) .. We have to wait until Paul can test it for us..

Guest ferret

Right, I've installed the app, downloaded two demo maps (mid glamorgan & south glamorgan), it's found the maps and everything seems to have installed correctly, however when I go and view map, all I get is a orangey pinky pale blank screen.

Have placed the maps in a storage card folder (new folder in the program called maps(!)).

Any ideas??

It finds the maps ok, but just doesn't display them.

Guest ferret

Ok, got it working now (don't ask me how) but I have to confess I'm not that impressed with it (sorry)!

I might be that I live in a geographical dull place, but the maps for my area are quite outdate.

Navigating on the SPVs screen is quite tedious in my opinion.

Plus my house, or street, (or my village come to it) doesn't exist!

If Qman is reading, could you explain how you managed to get a GPS to work, bet everyone is dying to find out :)  :lol:

Late last year a forum member over at the XDA-Dev forums reported

that Radio Shack was selling the DigiTraveler GPS system at a discount

price of $39.00 (it later was dropped even lower to $29.00) and that he had rewired the plug to make it work on the XDA, so we all jumped on the bandwagon and the rest was history.

As you know the SPV has the same serial port as the the XDA so all that was needed to make it work was "Mapopolis for the Smartphone". :wink:

A How-to on the rewiring with photos can be found at:

http://www.yorch.net look under Tutorials.

and photos of the DigiTraveler can be found/seen here:

http://support.radioshack.com/support_tuto...etuppda_tut.htm

I'll post some screen shot as soon as I get a screen shot program installed, how does that sound!

HTH

Ok here are some screen shots so I thought! :)

For some unknown reason my bitmap images won't upload!

So my question is this what format do they have to be in then?

Ok just saw the "You cannot attach files in this forum" at the bottom of the screen so I guess that answers my question! :shock:

Help!

Guest nickcornaglia

On Modaco in general, you can not attach BMP files. Try GIF or JPG. You can PM them to me and I'll post them here if you'd like.

On Modaco in general, you can not attach BMP files. Try GIF or JPG. You can PM them to me and I'll post them here if you'd like.

Ok you got PM!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hey thanks Qman, I will check these out over the weekend. Your a star :) :lol:

But I have to say that even with the demo data the ammount of detail is fantastic and even without a GPS its what we have all been waiting for. I will certainly be buying this when it is released.

Guest Kallisti

Here's looking forward to the update from Orange so we have bluetooth serial for our GPS. I've got all the kit, but as usual, left in the lurch by orange.

For what it's worth, mimicing the french site above I tried bonding with my GPS and looking for it on COM7: but it says it doesn't exist. Tried COM9:,COM5,COM4:,COM3:,COM1 (hangs), COM8:, COM6:,COM2: (not available).

So close to a killer app here...

Guest Richie M
What exactly have you attached to download? I don't think it is a ROM upgrade? Isn't it?

please clarfiy

mostly appreciated

Er not sure who you are refering to, but there arent any ROMs posted here :?

I think this is a great app! I wish my phone had bluetooth because I do own a bluetooth GPS that I use with my Pocket PC.

Also, does anyone know if this thing will route across maps?

Guest nickcornaglia

I remember on an older version on Palm devices, if you had two adjoining maps...it would merge them together. So I guess this would do what you're asking.

Guest Skitals

Mapopolis has always been by far my favorite and most used Pocket PC app, and I'm sure this will be my favorite smartphone app as well! I tried it out and it seems just as feature rich as the Pocket PC version. Im so happy I can use the same maps i had for Pocket PC (my pocket pc and bt gps were stolen when my car was broken into, and my smartphone has replaced it).

Now someone PLEASE figure out how to connect some cheap gps mouse up to the samsung i600!

Oh, and I had written to Mapopolis about porting the software to smartphone long before I ever had a smartphone and before the i600 and mpx200 came out... so I'm taking partial credit for this happening :)

Guest gpspassion

If I may, a little plug for www.gpspassion.com where I've put up a preview showing GPS interaction via Bluetooth on an E200:

And we also host the Mapopolis forums. Make sure to post your comments in the beta section to make this a great app!

Guest rikwebb
If I may, a little plug for where I've put up a preview showing GPS interaction via Bluetooth on an E200:

quote]

GPSPASSION - How did you get it to talk to a BT GPS ?? - Do you have the ROM update?

I have the Emtec BT GPS, but the e200 will not see it over a com port, although it will bond with it.

Regards

Rik

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.