Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

If anyone wants to know, done my first decent test today.

From Birmingham to central London (Finsbury Square) and I am pleased to report that Mapopolis did not let me down. It was spot on with all the directions.

I did not notice until today but when you are driving and you correctly navigate the next instruction it gives a little 'boing' so that you can tell you are going in the right direction. When you do take a wrong turn it gives you a double boing again you know without looking at the phone you have gone the wrong way and when you do go wrong it recalculates the route so fast you don't even know you have gone wrong sometimes.

One more feature I really like when it tells you "Turn left in 0.2 miles" when you approach the turn it says "... is the next on the left"

Very very pleased, much better than the others I have used.

Guest Pagemakers

I can also agree. Very clever indeed.

Even better I hear Tom Tom are going to port their software too!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Well I did email TomTom last year and they said they had no intention to port their product to the MS SmartPhone platform.

But if you look at their website it looks like they have ported one of their products to the Symbian platform to run on devices like the Nokia 6600 (Nokia must have given them a backhander :wink: )

But I have fallen in love with Mapopolis and their support chap Lamar is very friendly and would you want to go back to a Nokia after using a Windows Smartphone :?:

Silly Question:

If you buy the maps, how are they licensed ? You get support and free downloads for one year, but will they work after that period ?

Are the locked to you IMEI # or can you swap phones? I have a E100 now and will soon upgrade to E200 or simular..

Cheers

PT-1

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

for those of you who want to look at the Nokia Tom Tom info go here.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/compatibili...=232&Language=1

From what I can gather the demo maps are valid for 9 days from when they are first opened. So if you downloaded a map 2 weeks ago but only opened the map today it would expire in 9 days from today. Therefore the program saves (probably) in the registry when each 'demo' map is opened.

The 'full version' maps have different filenames and are unlimited, so you can log onto their site, download England and it will not come up for expiration (from what I can tell for ever). You are allowed to re-download any maps you have bought for up to one year so as long as you save them to your harddisk you are ok).

Hope this answers your questions.

Hi,

I have just ordered from this Ebay Seller: http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...&sort=3&rows=50

Any of the mentioned GPS Units can be ordered including a XDA Holder ( I know they are no good for SPV), GPS Mouse Holder, Software, GPS Mouse incl. 12v Charger for Phone and Power Supply for GPS (I'm not sure on the last one, maybe batterie). The cost around €60 or around £40.

I think they might ship to England and I will update you as soon as I get mine. If anyone needs help with this german site, just pm me!

Cheers

PT-1

Guest pbird49

E200 ROM update installed. Trying to find Fortuna Clip-ON BT GPS device but cannot get a fix. Has been sat here for 10 minutes +. Don't know COM port being used so tried Auto-detect but seems to sit on COM1 testing and not try any other port.

Anyone had any better luck? If so, how?

Guest griffog

Normally COM7, don't forget this is a Beta and the auto com port function does not appear to function.

And having just got back from CeBIT I can confirm that TomTom will release Navigator for Smartphone as well as Sony P900 and Symbian in Q3 this year :)

Guest rikwebb
E200 ROM update installed.  Trying to find Fortuna Clip-ON BT GPS device but cannot get a fix.  Has been sat here for 10 minutes +.  Don't know COM port being used so tried Auto-detect but seems to sit on COM1 testing and not try any other port.

Anyone had any better luck?  If so, how?

Had the same problem.

Uninstalled the software and then re-installed it and everything seems fine.

I think the problem started when it was connected to the GPS and I took it out of range. Failed from that point onward, until I reinstalled the software.

Hope this helps

Rik

Guest rikwebb

After installing the O rom update, I now have this all working. :) :lol:

Its #*#*ing good, all things considered. :shock:

I have been out and about today testing it, and it has performed very well, not once has it given me incorrect directions or failed to work.

Now, if we could only change that nasty robotic voice!!!!!

The time for selling my iPaq is getting closer, GPS was about the last thing on my e200 wish list, although the Alk CoPilot software for PPC was better, I could live with this.

Rik

I've ordered one of those fortuna bt clip - on thingys, The main reason being some good reviews I've seen that mention that it's one of the first to carry a li-on(?) 'REMOVABLE', Battery, the same as in Nokia 3310's etc.. So that if the battery becomes unreliable after a year or so you don't have to chuck away the reciever!, As far as know the other on market have a built in battery..

Guest griffog

It depends whether you want cheap or small. The Fortuna ClipOn is small and the cheapest is likely the GlobalSat BC308 which often appears on eBay for between £100-130. We have reviews of all the BT GPS receivers at PocketGPSWorld, I haven't found any that so not work yet!

Guest griffog

If you're referring to the TomTom BT GPS this is no longer available on its own, it can only be purchased as a bundle with PocketPC or PalmOS Navigator Software.

Guest pbird49

I have a Fortuna Clipon BT and it seems to do the job nicely. £130 on EBay altho I think I is a little cheaper now. Nice little device with long (8 hours) battery life.

(I got it working on my E200 - thanks for the help Paul and rik)

Guest Dectomax

Hi,

I've just downloaded the mapopolis demo and it seems great. Thinking about buying a GPS unit and getting the full version. One question, is there any way of entering your own points of interest on the maps, so it notify's you when youre approaching one. (ie. Speed camera's, Good pubs, etc. etc.)

Thanks.

Guest Dectomax

Thinking about it, how hard would it be to write a proggie that takes your present co-ordinates from the gps and uses that database (see above post) of co-ordinates to determine if your approaching a speed camera. I'm no programmer so I don't know the ins and outs of it. Would be a bloody useful thing to have tho. Just a thought.

P.S. If anybody fancies writing a proggie like that, I'll buy it!! :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.