Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest lutzh

...got myselof the SysOn Bluetooth GPS, works perfectly quick and simple with mapopolis. its a little more expensive but i like it alot.

cheers, lutz

Guest griffog
Thinking about it, how hard would it be to write a proggie that takes your present co-ordinates from the gps and uses that database (see above post) of co-ordinates to determine if your approaching a speed camera.

You obviously haven't been to our site! We compile the UK's most comprehensive Gatso Database and utilising a free POI proximity app users of TomTom Navigator get alerts as they approach a gatso site and can easily record new sites.

Guest griffog

At the moment we supply the database in a format suitable for users of TTNav as well as a .csv file that users can convert as they wish to use with other apps that support custom POIs. I don't believe Mapopolis does (certainly the PocketPC version does not) but so long as you do not use it for commercial gain or host the database elsewhere then of course you can use it :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

Unfortunately, I found the database to be pretty inaccurate with duplicate and incorrect entries... could probably be pretty comprehensively cleaned up with a group effort of Smartphone users though!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I.e Submit a picture taken with your phone of u stood underneath the speed camera with the co-ordinates... no good pressing buttons whilst moving will be yards out.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hey griffog, thanks for the link to the cameras.

Do you guys have this in smaller chunks I.E. the same sort of area as Mapopolis maps so if we load West Midlands we can just use West Midlands cameras and if we load Cheshire we can use just Cheshire's cameras.

As I think that if all the cameras are loaded in one go it may make Mapopolis very slow....

Guest gazzaw

There is a lot of talk about bluetooth GPS, however I have a leadtek wired GPS using a TOM TOM XDA cable and it works really well as it powers the GPS even when the SPV is not plugged in.

I have an MPx200 and a bluetooth gps device that I used with my Ipaq. Is there any way to get these two to talk? I realize that the MPx200 has no bluetooth support, but is there an ad-on or something like that?

ANyone tried the Maps after the should have been expired?

Mine remided me a few days before with the days I have got left, but now nothing....? I can still open them (Waiting for my GPS to arrive.......)

I'm hoping that updating my phone during the trial period may have confused the maps sense of time! Knowing my luck they'll remember on the day that my GPS arrives. Come on postie! Posted from my arse!

Guest Pc-Mobile
I have an MPx200 and a bluetooth gps device that I used with my Ipaq.  Is there any way to get these two to talk?  I realize that the MPx200 has no bluetooth support, but is there an ad-on or something like that?

I am afraid there is no way you can connect any GPS to MPx200 at present, or even ever. (IR is possible but not really viable)

Guest mcwarre

OK, I have to ask...

Is there a GPS device that works with the MPx200?

I have found some GPS mice that have a USB connector (hence I can convert USB to mini-USB). What about drivers? Will the pocket pc ones they supply work on the MPx????

Guest rikwebb
I'm hoping that updating my phone during the trial period may have confused the maps sense of time! Knowing my luck they'll remember on the day that my GPS arrives. Come on postie! Posted from my arse!

It did with mine, reset the time back to 9 days. So if you fancy doing a hard reset every nine days, you could use it for free !!

There must be a reg key or file it creates that tells it when it was first used.

Rik

MMMmmm am sure it could be done, but i'm going still going to buy the full maps at the end of my (extended) trial, don't fancy hard resetting all 'time, and suppose I got to give the programmers credit in the form of hard cash, for having the balls to transform my phone in such a diverse and usefull way.

Guest mcwarre

Just contacted Lamar at Mapopolis:

Q. The MPx200 has a 5 pin mini-USB connector. I can /physically/connect GPS mice to it via a USB to mini-USB connector. Does Mapopolis have suitable drivers for it or does it have to come with the hardware? If the drivers are with the hardware are you aware of any GPS devices (non-Bluetooth) that include Smartphone 2002 OS drivers?

A. Mick, I have a MPx200, and I don't see a gps solution on

the horizon. PC-mobile, the cable guys, have said that they

won't be able to make a cable for the Moto 200 because that

mini-USB port is NOT a USB host -- it's a slave USB port,

ala HP h1930, ala Palm Tungsten E, aka CHEAP.

Motorola is not going to be interested in a gps solution

for this phone because they're preparing to introduce a

Smartphone with a real gps in it. I'm sure that they'd

prefer that we upgrade our brand new phones. :-)

What a friendly helpful guy! I am off to buy Mapopolis right now!

Anyone know what phone Moto are going to introduce with 'a real GPS' in it???

Guest Dectomax
There is a lot of talk about bluetooth GPS, however I have a leadtek wired GPS using a TOM TOM XDA cable and it works really well as it powers the GPS even when the SPV is not plugged in.

So let me get this right..... You can take a standard wired gps unit, get a TomTom cable for an XDA (XDAII??) and plug it into an E200 and it will work with Mapopolis. :shock: Does it HAVE to be a Tom Tom cable?? Please confirm if this is correct, they are cheap as chips on e-bay!! :)

Guest Pc-Mobile

So let me get this right..... You can take a standard wired gps unit, get a TomTom cable for an XDA (XDAII??) and plug it into an E200 and it will work with Mapopolis. :shock: Does it HAVE to be a Tom Tom cable?? Please confirm if this is correct, they are cheap as chips on e-bay!! :)

Yes.

I have posted in many relevant forums and one in this thread.

Almost all GPS made for XDA (mouse with XDA cable or whatever) should work with SPV range.

As do almost all Garmin/Magellan stand alone handheld GPS with the correct XDA cables.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

There you go, thanks to the guys at Mapopolis for telling me where to find the conversion program, but here you go. All the UK saftey cameras in a Mapopolis file.

Save this to your phone and rescan, it uses a 'yellow lantern' icon (no facility to change it) and it seems ok.

GPXtoMaplet.zip

Cameras.zip

Bonus! all we need is a custom 'Oi #$@&Face SLOW DOWN' spoken warning, Can pc-cables knock up a lead for connecting an E200 to the brake pedal of my white van? Posted from my SmartPhone!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.