Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Pagemakers

Funny thing happed to me over the new year. My mate was driving back from Scotland with me in the passenger's seat.

Using my tom tom navigator and speed camera POI's I kept calling out "speed camera ahead" and he would slow down (not that we were speeding officer).

After a couple of hours it was getting boring and I fell asleep. Seconds later I awoke to the sound of my mate swearing. He had just been flashed by a camera.

Ouch - accurate enough for me :shock:

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Sorry guys I have tried all possibilities.

At the moment it is not possible to make Mapopolis give any kind of warning either audio or visual when approaching one of the cameras in the overlay (or any other user defined POI)

I have passed this to Mapopolis and this has gone to the developers so we will have to wait and see.

Guest Dectomax

Not being a programmer i don't know how easyhard this would be, but would it be possible to write an entirely seperate little proggie that just takes in GPS data from the COM port for your present location, and compares it to the data in the speed camera database and sounds an audible warning when you are say within 50meters of a camera.??

Guest mcwarre

@Dectomax

50m? Wow you have fast reactions! At approx 80 miles/hr (~120KPH) a reaction time of 1 sec equates to ~33.3M then add stopping/slowing distance it will take you well past the 50m!

I have an Origin Blue i GPS Speed Camera detector and I have set the warning distance to 750m which provides a safe distance / time to slow down in. If I were illegally speeding of course, Officer!

Guest Dectomax

Try again ... 500m :oops: Anyhoo would it be possible?? The only other option is to train a monkey to sit in the passenger seat and spot the speed camera icons on Mapopolis and scream evreytime you approach one. :)

Hi,

I just had a look on the Mapopolis Website and they must have updated the Cab File. The last on I had was from 20.03.2004 the new one is from 30.03.2004.

@Lamar:

Is there no way to see this Information within Mapopolis or add the Information onto the Webpage. Ay Idea what has been changed ?

Cheers

Steffen

To see your version number, enter Help, and scroll to bottom of screen, they display current version number. I have loaded the latest beta (2), and am displaying 4.42. Only used it yesterday and didn't notice much difference... HINT: remove the whole mapopolis folder from /storage card/program files TO YOUR PC'S DESKTOP, then upon installation of the new beta, transfer the "Landmarks.bin" file back to the mapoplis folder on your smartphone... otherwise you loose all your manually entered landmarks... I didn't manage to save the favorites and it wipes all your colour settings(no real problem),.. There seems to still be a problem with the "speed warning" setting effecting the value of the "first turn warning", I.e u have to adjust the time b4 a 1st warning is given , my entering the value in the "speed warning above XXmph" box?!

Just woke up so that may not make sense... :D

Guest austinpowers
That's what I use and it works perfectly.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

I have just acquired a Tomtom bluetooth GPS to use with my E200 (+ROM update) and Mapopolis. I can't seem to track more than two satellites without the DC power plugged into my phone and gps unit :D . As soon as I go on the mains...hey presto I get to track 5 or 6 and get a GPS fix. Have you had any similar problems?

Thanks

Austin.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Just been informed by the guys at Mapopolis, new beta on their site (posted 30/03/04)

WMS Beta-3 posted 30 March 2004 (Nobody told me it was released.)

Some miscellaneous bugs were squashed.

Change to "This Location" routing action as follows:

If the route start point is set using the This Location menu and the destination has already been set, the route will be plotted immediately.

Previously, the route was plotted from the location menu only by going to the navigation screen to set the destination.

Guest austinpowers

How do I plan a route which takes me between one map and another? I live on the boundary of three mapopolis maps and have no way of leaving my street without crossing into another map. Help please...!

Menu, choose maps, menu, selection, multiple select. then highlight the maps u want to use, also select add contiguous... no idea what it means but looked important

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

First of all don't load contiguous, if you have several maps on your card it will load all connecting maps (Entire UK in my case!!) and this will make the searching very ssllooww...

If the area's are adjacent then fire up Mapopolis, go to Load Map, then press Menu then Selection and make sure you are on Multiple Select then Unselect All to clear all previous maps.

Using the joystick highlight the maps you want and press the action button, the maps you have selected will highlight load only the maps you need then continue to set your route as normal.

If you are talking about long distance say Birmingham to Liverpool then unselect all again and load WestMidlands, MerseySide and MajorRoads. Its the last one that does the trick, all it contains are the major roads for all of England so you load your starting map and destination map along with this one and it calculates your route for you.

Hope this helps.

Guest austinpowers
First of all don't load contiguous, if you have several maps on your card it will load all connecting maps (Entire UK in my case!!) and this will make the searching very ssllooww...

If the area's are adjacent then fire up Mapopolis, go to Load Map, then press Menu then Selection and make sure you are on Multiple Select then Unselect All to clear all previous maps.

Using the joystick highlight the maps you want and press the action button, the maps you have selected will highlight load only the maps you need then continue to set your route as normal.

If you are talking about long distance say Birmingham to Liverpool then unselect all again and load WestMidlands, MerseySide and MajorRoads. Its the last one that does the trick, all it contains are the major roads for all of England so you load your starting map and destination map along with this one and it calculates your route for you.

Hope this helps.

Dr you are to be praised. I was panicking about the contiguous bit after a single road search across two maps took over a minute!

Thanks also to Bro! 8)

Austin

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

No probs, I use it almost every day and after mentioning to Mapopolis support they told me about the major road maps (brilliant idea) as it took me almost 10mins to calculate a route from Birmingahm to Tonbridge Wells. That was after I sat with a road map to work out which counties I needed to load to complete the trip :oops:

Another tip is try to avoid using 'Anywhere' when you are searching. If I am traveling locally I change Anywhere to Within 25 Miles or pick out the specific area first or postcode this also makes it quicker.

Guest austinpowers
No probs, I use it almost every day and after mentioning to Mapopolis support they told me about the major road maps (brilliant idea) as it took me almost 10mins to calculate a route from Birmingahm to Tonbridge Wells. That was after I sat with a road map to work out which counties I needed to load to complete the trip :oops:  

Another tip is try to avoid using 'Anywhere' when you are searching. If I am traveling locally I change Anywhere to Within 25 Miles or pick out the specific area first or postcode this also makes it quicker.

I assume that the Major Roads map is in the European Map Pack. I'm working on the 9 day eval at the moment which is lasting quite a while because 9 days is longer than my average E200 has lasted before being replaced by Orange :wink: As soon as I get E200 (no5) I'll purchase the European maps as this application is awesome - even the pronunciation of the street names is better than asking some of the locals (East London/Essex)!

Cheers

A.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Yeap, just checked the major roads is only part of the paid service and not included in the demo maps.

There are major roads for Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland as Mapopolis classifies them as separate countries and each country has a separate major road map.

So it is possible to drive from Birmingham or Essex (I will be round there in a few weeks) through France to southern Spain or Italy etc in one go wihtout having to stop and load separate maps.

Guest austinpowers
Pity... that I live in a country where maps are something u have in ur school Geography textbook :-(

From my memories of Chennai you don't need GPS let alone mapopolis. Just jump in an Auto and tell the Autokaran where you want to go...

He'll stop at the next corner and ask a standerby and then...

You arrive at your destination. :wink:

Guest Rusty

Could do with a feature to make it load the map for whichever area you are currently in (assuming you have GPS connected). Myself and the missus went for a drive today and once we left our county, Mapopolis obviously didn't have the map loaded for where we were, trouble is i couldn't actually find the map for where we were either, tried a few and none worked. GPS knew where we were lat/long, as well as postcode so surely it wouldn't be so hard to make the program load the appropriate map??

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Hi,

I'm back from my trip to Wales AND i tested Mapopolis Beta 30/03/2004....

Summary:

Trip from London to Bangor(Wales)

1st I did not know what Maps I should open so I kind of guessed the from the Mapopolis overview Map to not exceed the population Limit. I have not got tha Major UK Maps yet, so I had to open all the countys.

Of course I must have forgotten one, so it tried to route me another(longer) way. I restarted the application near Birmingham and Mapopolis succesfully routed me half way through and then crashed with a weird sound on the speaker of the phone. I had to re-start the phone, but after that it managed the journey succesfully to the doorstep. I have a clean new rebooted phone with tha flashmemory cleared before installation of mapopolis. I was just using the demo maps. Today on the way back, mapopolis opened one map, reminded me it will expire in 6 days and the went back to the homne screen. I could not use the application at all anymore.

One error I found was tha I cannot store "start GPS" in the settings. It's gone after a closing the applicatin/restart of the phone.

Cheers

Steffen

Orange (HTC) SPV E100

256 MB SD Sandisk

Radio Version 2.01.00

Rom 1.6.1.10

Haicom HI203 GPS Mouse

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.