Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Rusty

Just thought i'd mention some interesting behaviour i've noticed on my E200 :D Like the rest of people using Mapopolis, i too wanted to see a function whereby the backlight could be made to stay on whilst the phone was charging so i could put the phone in it's cradle in the car and not have to keep pressing a button to get the backlight on to see Mapopolis. I knew i didn't would never be bothered to keep changing my backlight settings so i waited patiently for this function to be enabled.

However, on one particular journey, i decided to set the backlight to timeout 'never' so i could keep an eye on Mapopolis, but i forgot to disable this setting once my journey had ended, yet once removed from my car charger, the backlight DID actually timeout and the screen blanked in about 20-30s. Once back on charge, the backlight came back on and stayed on! I now have my backlight set to 'never' and the phone behaves just how i want it to ;) light permanently on when on charge, timing out when taken off charge. Just wondering if anybody else with an E200 had noticed this?? perhaps it's part of the new update, perhaps it's just my phone.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Or is it because it enters another profile when in cradle? and your just changing the options for that profile to 'never' whilst Normal profile remains at 30s..??

By the way, is there a GPS service that you must subscribe and pay to in order to use the GPS system via Mapopolis application or just connect it and use it?

Is the GPS usage included in the map's price?

No subscription to recieve the gps data, you just need to buy a reciever, and the software (in the case of mapopolis it's free), PLUS the maps (for which there a varying degrees of functionality, depending on how much you wish to pay. note : the demo maps support gps, other details are found on their site)

Guest Rusty

I'm quite certain it's nothing to do with any change in profile Bro, the SPV range has never changed profile when docked in it's cradle. Furthermore, my phone displays the behaviour above even on my car charger which is not a docking station :D

Hi Guys,

I was just testing this. Loading the following Maps: Middlesex (starting

point, Gwynedd (wales) and all the Major road maps) When I try Navigate/Get a Route it tells me cannot find route. I have not turned on add continguous. I have then tried a Route from Middlesex to Norfolk/Norwich and get the same message when I press done. I have loaded all the Major Road Maps and Middlesex and Norfolk. I can find the adresses in the Maps without a Problem, but finding a route just using major Roads and the 2 County Maps of my Origin and target doesn't seem to work for me.

Any Hints?

Guest roodje

I cant get it to work wit the tomtom GPS... I use the BT serial port setup to make it a COM6.. still no signal.. can someone please explane how it will work?

Guest skanna

had the same problem. Try deleting the gps bluetooth device and re-pairing, should work then. I ve had a different problem with bluetooth turning itself off while I am driving!

It has to be manually turned back on and theo continues to work, but you should not be fidleing with the phone while behind the wheel.

I ve had a different problem with bluetooth turning itself off while I am driving!

It has to be manually turned back on and theo continues to work, but you should not be fidleing with the phone while behind the wheel.quote]

Same Here, it seems to happen when the phone is having to cope with the stream of data from gps, and re-routing. The 'timer' icon appears (showing that the processor is working hard) and they seem to loose sync with each other and thus resetting the bluetooth to OFF.

I have been trying to get this software working on the original SPV using a Garmin GPS45 connected through a XDA serial cable. I have set the port to auto detect at 4800 but nothing seems to happen. Has anybody else tried a GPS device with the original SPV?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi there, I have an E100 with a Haicom 201S GPS.

I have to use COM1 (auto detect goes back to COM1 anyway) and if the device is physically plugged into the phone then I am certain that this is the only port it will work on.

If no good then I suspect that it may be the wiring. Remember that it needs to be wired as if you where going to use a null modem cable.

Checkout this page http://www.yorch.net/ and go to Tutorials

Guest Henrik25

I might be a little slow :D But do you have to make the wiring yourself ?

I thought i could just buy a GPS reciever with a XDA cable and plug it into my SPV (the original).

Another question. Do you guys use some kind of travel kit to charge your SPV while driving ? If I have the backlight set to on all the time my guess would be that the battery runs low real slow.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Unfortunately not the GPS mice are designed to plug into a PC's serial port and the XDA cable is also designed to plug into the PC's serial port. what you cant do is plug them together (they both will come with 9 pin female plugs)

You will either need a crossover cable (null modem cable) or one of the female to female crossover adapters.

As you can imagine this could get a bit untidy. I have the Safe 2 Talk car kit and I have soldered a 9 male connector on a short ribbon cable into the connector (see earlier posts, but I have a new camera now so let me know if you want better pics) and this also provides power to the phone as well as the GPS.

When Mapopolis is running and a call arrives, the 'call duration' screen comes up and Mapopolis stays silent when the call ends Mapopolis comes back to life.

Guest griffog

That's incorrect, a GPS Mouse that comes with an XDA Cable will plug directlyu into the bottom of an e200, the cable comes with the correct sync connector and also a splitter for 12v vehicle power.

Guest mjheathcote

Does anybody know how to import speed camera database POI into Mapopolis ?

Even if no warning of approaching camera it would still be useful to know what to expect on a journey beforehand.

Thanks,

Mike.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Yeap he is right sorry I have only been using PC GPS mice. I have to admit I have never seen one of the XDA GPS mice but I have heard of them.

To use the camera database copy the cameras.mlp to the Mapopolis folder on the SD card. Then in Mapopolis press Menu then goto Choose Map press Menu again goto Selection and make sure that you are on Multiple Select then go to the top of the list and you will find Cameras.mlp, highlight this and press Action then go down to the map(s) you require and highlight/action them as well when you have chosen the maps you need press Done and thats it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.