Mapopolis-Finally...Cool Interactive Maps for the Smartphone

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

For those who have requested better pics.

The GPS came from the GPS Warehouse (Mine is discontinued this is the current version)

These devices have no switches, lights or buttons just plug them apply power and off you go.

For the phone end I scavenged a 9 pin male connector from an old PC, removed the unused wires then opened the phone connector, soldered the lead to the pins and if you lay the lead flat you can close the connector with both the GPS lead and the original attached.

For the power I took and old PS2 keyboard extension lead and soldered this into the base unit and located where power that runs up to the phone, this means that the GPS will not be on unless the Safe-2-Talk is on.

If you have never used a GPS before they usually take 20-30 seconds to 'warm up' so I plug the GPS into the cables, switch the Safe-2-Talk on, load Mapopolis then I go to GPS on the menu then Start GPS. That way all you need to do is to find your destination then press This Location twice and press Route to Here.

Safe-2-Talk.jpg

GPS.jpg

Guest mjheathcote

Pocket GPS World speed camera database updated.....

Waiting for mapopolis camera database file to be available :D

Mike

Guest A.Hughes

Need a bit of help guys, read all the posts here and info on the mapopolis site, but how or where is the info relating to Businesses rest, banks etc.

On their site there is a pack for info but i cant seem to be able to buy it, or to put it another way, it dont show up in my basket. Is it that the info is contained already within the various maps or do i have to make them myself?

I have purchased the plat map pack and got all the maps and major roads etc, but the other info stuff is really what i am looking for.

Sounds confusing, i know so am i hence the request for help!!!

Cheers guys :?

Guest PT-1

All I could find is within Mapopolis when you have a certain Map loaded you can look for Postcodes,Museum,Train Station etc.

It is within:

Menu

Find

Place or Category

Is it that what you are after ?

Cheers PT-1

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Just thought I would let everyone know.

I got my new E200 upgrade from Orange and my modified cradle works with the E200 :)

Power works, Mic works, Speaker works and GPS works :lol: :lol:

So if anyone is planning an upgrade more than likely you existing kit will work as well (my spare cradle does not work, but that a different issue)

Guest Blakey

Can you connect an E200 with the old ROM on it to a BT GPS mouse? Or does it require the new ROM?

Obviously people's opinions on the new ROM are not wonderful, but if it's required for BT GPS, then I think it's gonna have to be done!

Cheers

Blakey

Guest andyhud

Hi guys,

I've read the post with much enthusiasm and have downloaded and installed mapopolis onto my E200 and maps. All works well from that perspective.

However, I will need a Bluetooth GPS unit for this as I am getting on of these car kits for my phone.

http://www.shop.smartphoneaddons.com/produ...?products_id=50

On Ebay there are a few Bluetooth GPS receivers available for use (I am in the UK) and just wondered if someone could point me in the right direction for one to work with Mapopolis and my E200.

I have seen these, but am after your comments first.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...3095978731&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...4130547464&rd=1

Looking forward to your comments

Many thanks

Andy

Guest Blakey

Not trying to hijack this thread, but are there any similar programs to Mapopolis which will give you OS standard maps (for the UK) for use with the smartphone? I'm a keen mountain biker and Mapopolis is obviously no use for off road cycling, so I'm after something which will work off road.

Cheers

Blakey

Guest smithgt

I've been using my E200 and a BT GPS mouse and it works very well. My only gripes are the voice is not really lould enough and its quite a rough computer voice.

But as for functionality i can't knock it. It even tell me how fast im traveling and my altitude!!

Definately consider purchasing the released version.

Guest Blakey

Smithgt,

Don't want to hijack this thread so have started another, more applicable one about mountain biking and GPS/mapopolis here.

On the topic of mapopolis - do you use Mapopolis when on your bike, off road? If so please tell me how useful it is...

Cheers

Blakey

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

While one of my colleagues is on holiday I have persuaded him to let me borrow his Bluetooth TomTom GPS.

Just letting you all know it works :)

Guest skanna

I've been using this program for some time now, and its really very good. The odd time bluetooth has turned itself off and you have to fiddle with the phone to put it back on. Otherwise its fine and it has successfully navigated me aroung the Isle of Wight, mainland Hampshire and even in London. The only problem I have is that it sometimes takes me onto such obscure roads, even tractor paths or a trail across a field. How do I keep it on the main roads. Its not fun driving down a very narrow road and then manoeuvreing to avoid oncoming traffic. Fair play, it gets you there but you want to stick to the main roads.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

You are not alone, it has done the same to me and a few others as well

Mapopolis generated route algorithm

It is something they are working on but you are right its a pain in the butt to have to keep diverting off the main road onto a side road or even dirt track only to end up on the main road again :roll:

The only way around the problem is to use the 'Route through here' option. I.E. generate your route then if you notice that you don't go the way you want find a point you want to pass through then press This Location and Route through here (very painful and tedious)

After having said that it has not let me down. If I am travelling to somewhere I have never been to and I don't have a clue how to get there then I am quite happy to follow the route because I know it will get me there.

Belive me one wrong turn in central London and you are stuffed for an hour :lol: Mapopolis may take me the scenic route but it still saves me loads of time :)

Guest spridget

Hello, just bought a Royaltek RFG 2000 gps mouse wirh 12v cable from Xda trough Ebay for my SPV classic.

But i've read that this thing needs a driver ??

This is for the rfg 1000 model ( the 2000 is a upgrade)

Drivers

There's one difference with the Onyx over conventional mouse type GPS receivers and that's down to it needing a driver to be installed to control the receiver. Most GPS receivers you can connect direct to via serial connection, but with the Onyx you have to load a driver onto the PDA or PC. Installing the driver to the Pocket PC was straight forward, just insert the CD, select the relevant driver, and follow on screen prompts.

The voice from the phone gps is not really clear, wondering if its any good when driving?

I hope i don't need drivers with this thing aaaaaaah :x

Guest spridget

Just read the discription of the mouse from Ebay,

sehr schnelle und genaue GPS Maus mit neuem Trimble Chipsatz

INKLUSIV ein Adapterkabel (inkl. KFZ Stromversorgung) Ihrer Wahl:

iPaq 36/37xx

iPaq 22/38/39/41/54/55xx

MDA 1+2 / XDA1+2

Dell X3 / X5

Loox 400/600/610

Jornada 5xx

Casio 125/500/SX45

Casio 200

Yakumo Delta

Yakumo Omikro

Toshiba 330-750 / E400 / E800

Palm M5xx/Tungsten,

Asus 600, Asus 620

Acer N20

USB (Treiber werden mitgeliefert)

RS 232

12-Kanal Technik

extrem klein

nur 55mA Stromverbrauch

integrierte Magnetplatte zur einfachen Befestigung

schnelle und genaue Positionsermittlung

wasserdicht! für die Platzierung im Innenraum hinter der Windschutzscheibe oder auf dem Autodach geeignet

arbeitet mit jeder NMEA kompatiblen Navigationssoftware (TomTom 1+2+3, Destinator 2+3 usw.)

es werden keine Treiber benötigt (Ausnahme: USB + Toshiba)

This means i do not need a driver for the spv or xda yes yes yes yes yes ye.. . :)

Guest Mr Orange
Not trying to hijack this thread, but are there any similar programs to Mapopolis which will give you OS standard maps (for the UK) for use with the smartphone?    I'm a keen mountain biker and Mapopolis is obviously no use for off road cycling, so I'm after something which will work off road.

Cheers

Blakey

I'm using Memory Map on my SPVM1000 and the Holux BT GPS unit.

Great for The Brecons Gap trail and seeing how slowly I went around Afan....

Guest Jasonkruys

Just got a cable ordered that will hopefully allow me to connect my E100 to my roadangel unit in my car :lol: can't wait to see if it works :) Thanks to Dr_Strange..

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Either from whay I can make out the serial connector on the XDA/XDA-II are the same.

You did not say which phone you have :?:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.