Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest cjmillsnun
I don't see how having a phone that locks up, often can't see the SD card, and has to be reset by removing the battery can possibly be seen as an improvement. Bluetooth for a headset is no better. My only problem with my E200 before was poor battery life, and that wasn't a major problem because I'm never far from a charger. Now though, I honestly think that my phone is worse than it was before. It's appaling that Orange have inflicted this botched up, so called update on us. We pay their wages, yet they treat us like idiots. I suppose I should have expected as much after the original SPV debacle. It stinks.

Posted from my ruined SmartPhone!

I feel sorry for you m8, however it seems that a lot of people have had no problems with this update, myself included.

If you continue to get these problems. Get the phone replaced under warranty. Sounds like you have hardware problems.

Guest Bonzo
Just a thought for those who are having issues - trust me on this one - please try a 'Clear Storage' from the accessories menu, and see if it is better afterwards, be aware this will effectively Hard Reset your handset though.

OK well just tried this and I may be jumping the gun but I'm gonna say now that I DO think this will have solved my problems... how can I be so sure... well frankly I can't but I do now have the BT symbol on the home screen icon bar where I didn't before... so OK if I'm right and this has worked I hold my hands up and say 'OK it's a fair cop guv'... I should try things before I start whining :)

Guest Bonzo

If U go into the settings & switch the BT to On or Discoverable U get the BT symbol next to the GPRS symbol on the homescreen icon bar... but this may have been a red herring again!!! Although my BT was switched to off the symbol was there until I manually switched it on & then off again!!! lol

But I have to say doing the whole reset thing does seem to have cured the issues I had with the card... it seems to be sleeping and waking quite merrily now with no lock-ups :)

Guest Bonzo

Well it would seem I was a little premature... just had Binarys Task Manager telling me there was no card found and the phone locked up again while trying to access the games I have stored on the card :oops:

Well here I go now to try re-applying the update & see what happens from there I guess!

Guest huwmoseley

Can someone help - have not got further than activating the downloaded update file. Its on my desktop but when I activate it, it flickers a message saying its checking the phone for about 3 mins then gives me a message saying its having difficulty communicating with the phone, asks me to check connections etc (they are all OK) then I have to exit. At which point my PC goes haywire and I have to reboot. Have tried 3 times now.

Is this cos I am running Windows 98 ??

I could wait and do this on my work PC which runs Windows XP .. but really wanted to get this sorted tonight.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Guest Simon Desser
Can someone help - have not got further than activating the downloaded update file. Its on my desktop but when I activate it, it flickers a message saying its checking the phone for about 3 mins then gives me a message saying its having difficulty communicating with the phone, asks me to check connections etc (they are all OK) then I have to exit. At which point my PC goes haywire and I have to reboot. Have tried 3 times now.

Is this cos I am running Windows 98 ??  

I could wait and do this on my work PC which runs Windows XP .. but really wanted to get this sorted tonight.  

Anyone got any suggestions ?

I'd wait till tomorrow :)

Before you continue with the update please check that:  

your PC is running Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows XP

you have installed Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7 or later which is available here and which was supplied on the companion CD in your SPV E200 box  

you have synchronised your SPV with your PC using the SPV cradle or USB cable

Actually, if you want my advice, I wouldn't bother with THIS update :?

Guest huwmoseley

Thanks. I'll take that advice. I have had no problems with this handset since I got it - including any of the sound quality issues, nor battery life come to that (because I shuttle from home cradle to work cradle). Reading these posts on the update has scared me sh**less. Reckon I am going to chicken out..."if it aint broke dont fix it" ?

Guest shardy

A few people (including myself) have found that firewalls, especially Zonealarm cause the PC to go haywire like you described. It works fine if you switch the firewall off. I haven't had any problems with my updated phone (so far) apart from it not fixing the poor audio quality on video recordings. At the moment I'm quite happy with the update, it's corrected more than it's messed up! :)

Guest bikespod

all's fine for me so far. have always liked cleartype and no lock ups or sd card problems. sound is better, but does just seem that they have turned it down. Posted from my SmartPhone!all's fine for me so far. have always liked cleartype and no lock ups or sd card problems. sound is better, but does just seem that they have turned it down. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Bonzo

Well I've done just about all I can really now... hard resets, soft resets even re-applied the update and the SD card problem still exists for me!!! I mean in reality it's no biggie but it is gonna be a pain remembering to remove the card and re-install it ach time I need to access an app that looks towards the card for anything!!! :roll:

Guest Bonzo

Well last post for today on this issue... I just tried the original 8Mb card that came with the phone... left it to go to sleep for 10mins & hey ho when I woke it up the card wasn't recognised!!!

Guest carvas

could anyone tell me if the new rom has t9 in portuguese? or if it doesnt, is there any way to put it there?

thx!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest creature777

Sounds like the Xphone users (incl. myself) is not 100% sure if this update would work on our phones.

I will hold and wait for the one for Xphone

Guest spockie
Sounds like the Xphone users (incl. myself) is not 100% sure if this update would work on our phones.

I will hold and wait for the one for Xphone

According to some ppl who have visited the O2 service centre, they were told that there's an update for the xphone. It's not out on the websites, so i think it's there. Try giving your centre a call.

Somehow, i think the xphone is an Orange variant? coz whenever i received a call, there seems to be an orange bar at the bottom as my incoming caller screen does not load fully. I read somewhere here that someone else has this problem. anyone knows where coz i've forgotten where the thread is. That being said, we can use the orange update for the xphone.

Guest spockie
That orange bar is the defult image of the call_id photo, it is like a splash across the page

Eh, but i disabled it or rather uninstalled call_id. Any idea why it keeps appearing? Do help.

Guest Richie M

Guess its time to reiterate :roll: this update is for Orange UK phones only!

If you have a non UK e200, Qtek, Smart or XPhone do not use this update

Guest unclelimey

this update is total pants... having to put the SD card out and in every 5 mins..... and the totally stupid out of focus fonts

(whoever thought of that idea needs shooting).. and not forgetting the constant crashing, had to pull the battery 3 times already today...

anyway... i just phoned orange and they have agreed to give me another e200.. and they said it will be the old software... thank god for that.. its my own fault really 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' and i was happy with it before, so i shouldnt have changed it

Posted from my DumbPhone!

Guest Rob.P

I is well happy with the update, got a good decent 48hrs out of the phone without even going near a charger.

Was a bit unhappy with the font, I like cleartype but thought the text on my homescreen and start menu was a bit skinny and pathetic, so I thought I'd apply the Cleartype.CAB again to see what happens and lo and behold, all the text is now in bold (or appears to be on my phone anyway) so well happy with the permanent cleartype now.

After Paul pointing out how blind I was with the BT serial port, finding the BT on the phone quite useable now, can effectively leave my phone in my pocket and still dial the net from laptop (although not recommended or lads, your swimmers will be greatly reduced :) )

Nice one Orange, now if we could just discuss that teamaking facility you left out of this update... :lol:

Guest Baddass

just a thought about the SD card issue some ppl are having........has anyone tried the app to disable/enable the SD card? suppose rather than taking card in/out to redetect it you could use the app to activate the port again?? only an idea.........

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.