Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kevlar

Anyone else experiencing loss of bluetooth headset connection mid call? It's just happened to me for the 2nd time since the update, not losing the call just the bluetooth link. The bluetooth icon is still lit, as is the headset icon, but the headset isn't getting anything. This never happened before the update, and I have spent many hours talking on my headset.

Orange, you have turned my e200 with it's minor annoyances into a piece of junk!

Kevlar

Guest spockie

hellooooooooooo??? help?

can i check with you all, the ones with ROM updates, do you have file manager? what's it called? Not talking about the smartexplorer but the one that comes with the phone

Guest tooney

My bluetooth headset has disconnected both times I have used it since the update. I thought it might be a problem with the headset as I don't use it much and no one else has reported this problem since the update but I'll test it later and find out.

Anyone else experiencing loss of bluetooth headset connection mid call? It's just happened to me for the 2nd time since the update, not losing the call just the bluetooth link. The bluetooth icon is still lit, as is the headset icon, but the headset isn't getting anything. This never happened before the update, and I have spent many hours talking on my headset.

Orange, you have turned my e200 with it's minor annoyances into a piece of junk!

Kevlar

Quite agree. This is exactly what I have emailed the Vice President of Technical from Orange and said. They are now refusing to replace my handset until their Technical Suport team have looked at the issues and reported back...Somehow I think they are gonna say that the handset is now faulty and can be replaced...But WHEN? - I have been told between 7 and 10 days....

this is CRAP. Orange have a legal obligation to replace handsets that are faulty via Orange Care, irrespective of how the handset became faulty. Fact is it was their software that has damaged the handset, and now they are being funny about it !!!

Anyway I am waiting the outcome of the mail that I have sent. Basically if I don't get a satisfactory response ie - a replacement handset - I will be taking the matter further.Orange have ruined my Mobile Phone, which I am paying a lot of money for. Up until today, I couldn't even receive mail on the damn thing as their SMTP server was down - ANOTHER service that they cannot deliver.

All the phone is good for now is making and receiving calls, something which I could do on pay as u go on a 'Nokia' !!!

Now I'm really Pissed off.

Paul - Have you got anywhere with Orange ?

Guest carvas

hmmmm... i have a Qtek 8080, and i was just going to install the new rom on my phone...

well, reading all these posts made me change my mind. i must say that the guys from Qtek have done a pretty good job with their rom, just the battery life is a bit disappointing...

i've seen in a post above that the E200 rom doesn't have File Manager... well the 8080 not only has a File Manager, it has a Task Manager and a Space Maker, all the from IA... :wink:

the 8080 has 10 differente languages for T9! and it doesn't forget the added words! and i've seen in some posts that the 8080 is even faster in than the E200...

i was going to install the Orange rom just beacause the faboulous home screen that they developed! it's just a piece of art! =D>

i don't really understand why these 2 phones have such huge differences, they are the same phone! :-s

if a rom from Qtek is going to be available i really suggest you to put it in your phones! i talked to the guys from Qtek here in Portugal and they said that in the next 2 or 3 months a rom from Qtek is going to be available.

let's hope Orange makes an effort and make me change my mind and install the E200 rom. :)

I've tried downloading the update four or five times now and the result is always the same. The package begins to he read and then it cannnot be unpacked because the file is corupt. It takes about 1 hour and 5 minutes to download the thing!

Any help?

Guest mcloume200
Just lost everything....

Nice one Orange.  :roll:  

No certificates, email, homescreens, music....

Not that impressed!

Well if you Read the FAQS on Oranges site you would have seen that they do infact tell you this will lose everything on your phone. Some people!

Guest Trancemaster

God Damn you Orange! Just installed the update, when I go into Bluetooth and set to "On" or "Discoverable" and click "done" I get an error message saying "The settings could not be saved", and no bluetooth! WTF use is my phone now if I can't use bluetooth, it was one of the prime reasons for buying an E200 (besides MS Mobile being the best mobile OS I've ever used). Anyone got any advice?

Guest rikwebb
God Damn you Orange! Just installed the update, when I go into Bluetooth and set to "On" or "Discoverable" and click "done" I get an error message saying "The settings could not be saved", and no bluetooth! WTF use is my phone now if I can't use bluetooth, it was one of the prime reasons for buying an E200 (besides MS Mobile being the best mobile OS I've ever used). Anyone got any advice?

I suggest that you re-apply the update mate, sound fcuked to me.

I dont get this issue, and Ive not heard of this one before.

Perhaps the update didnt take properly??

Rik

Guest Roland

RE Bluetooth: Upside - not experiencing mid-call disconnect, downside - phone still "forgets" about by paired device after power-off, i.e. shows the device and the bluetooth logo but doesn't actually connect. If I delete the device and er-associate it then all is good.

RE Unlocking: No joy from the Orange website trying to unlock with the update. Happily run through the screens, add all relevant info and get the "You should see ..." screen, which never actually takes place. Either it's because I'm in the US and they're not sending to my +1 phone number or they are and the message is dysfunctional.

I'm still quite pleased with the increased battery life, which makes it more of what it should be IMO - a phone with additional capabilities.

Guest Trancemaster
I suggest that you re-apply the update mate, sound fcuked to me.

I dont get this issue, and Ive not heard of this one before.

Perhaps the update didnt take properly??

Rik

Thanks for the advice mate but no joy. Tried running the update 3 times with no luck. Got straight on the phone to Orange who put me through to tech support. They also suggested I try running the update again but I explained I'd already done it three times and saw no point in doing it again. Apparently someone will call me "in a couple of days". Congrats to Orange on their shitty customer service, they're nearly as bad as NTL.

Guest martin

One thing that might be worth checking is the file size (in bytes) of the ROM download and compare it to someone elses that works.

Just to make sure it downloaded OK :)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest londonlad

Thanks for the advice mate but no joy. Tried running the update 3 times with no luck. Got straight on the phone to Orange who put me through to tech support. They also suggested I try running the update again but I explained I'd already done it three times and saw no point in doing it again. Apparently someone will call me "in a couple of days". Congrats to Orange on their shitty customer service, they're nearly as bad as NTL.

if i were you i would download it again and apply that one to the e200. It could be when you downloaded it to your pc, the update got corrupted.

Guest Trancemaster

I've downloaded the update three times, and installed it more times than I care to mention but always with the same result. Everything on the phone works fine except the bluetooth. I guess I'll just have to wait for Orange to call me and tell me they're going to replace the handset. Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

Guest spockie
hmmmm... i have a Qtek 8080, and i was just going to install the new rom on my phone...

well, reading all these posts made me change my mind. i must say that the guys from Qtek have done a pretty good job with their rom, just the battery life is a bit disappointing...

i've seen in a post above that the E200 rom doesn't have File Manager... well the 8080 not only has a File Manager, it has a Task Manager and a Space Maker, all the from IA...  :wink:

the 8080 has 10 differente languages for T9! and it doesn't forget the added words! and i've seen in some posts that the 8080 is even faster in than the E200...  

i was going to install the Orange rom just beacause the faboulous home screen that they developed! it's just a piece of art!  =D>  

i don't really understand why these 2 phones have such huge differences, they are the same phone!  :-s  

if a rom from Qtek is going to be available i really suggest you to put it in your phones! i talked to the guys from Qtek here in Portugal and they said that in the next 2 or 3 months a rom from Qtek is going to be available.

let's hope Orange makes an effort and make me change my mind and install the E200 rom.  :)

hey carvas, just to let you know, i've upgraded the xphone to the new e200 rom coz i really couldnt stand my battery life. Anyway, the Filemanager was the only thing that was removed from the ROM. The task manager n spacemaker are still there. In fact i'd prefer smart explorer, it makes filemanager look crippled, eg can send via BT etc.

For those in Asia, you might want to check my thread at:

http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?...der=asc&start=0

the topics are already covered here in Modaco.com so its just for the convenience for those owning an Xphone in South east asia. By the way it is attributed to XPhoneGeek who helped me out with the Xphone situation. Thanks man.

With the new update my phone actually feels faster and battery life ROCKS man! It's just the SD card lockup which has an issue. My advice to all is that keep the phone most used app/files/mp3/was on the RAM and the rest on the card. when youneed to access the SD card, first press it out and then in again. Works everytime! oh it also help to prevent your phone from hanging when it wants to access the card, but if that does happen i think you just need to take the card out n in again?

Paul, any update on the fix for SD card sleeping in the new ROM?

Guest Paul [MVP]

I've made Orange aware of the problem, and they are looking at it, i'll post here as soon as I have any info!

P

Guest Simon Desser
"]I've made Orange aware of the problem, and they are looking at it, i'll post here as soon as I have any info!

P

Which problem in particular :?:

EDIT:- Sorry, I presume you mean SD card sleeping :?:

Are Orange aware of the other problems with this ROM? - I can list them if you like :?:

Guest RussellH

Just phoned Orange Upgrade department, to see about possibly upgrading to the E200 again. I asked if the new ROM upgrade fixed all the bugs. The guy I spoke to said the only problem with the E200 was the battery life, and that the upgrade would not fix this. He told me not to expect more than a day out of the battery, because the handset is more of a PC than a phone, and that this is normal. He claimed Orange were not aware of any other issues with the E200. I pointed out how there advertising material claims standby time of three days, which surely was a lie. He said that this would vary depending on signal strengths in different areas. I also told him I was aware of many other issues with this phone that we hoped would be resolved with this update. Needless to say, I couldn't be bothered to say any more. Are they liars or are they thick?

Well nothing to report yet - still waiting on the call from Tech Support (so called!)

Can I ask Paul and the other Mods who Beta Tested the ROM, why the hell weren't these problems picked up at testing stage ?

I work in IT on IBM midrange systems, and I can say without a doubt that every functionality of applications are tested, when IBM release an OS upgrade. I know things are relatively new within the smartphone platform, but there is just no excuse for this.

Today I thought I would test playing an MPEG which I have ripped and re-encoded AND which played perfectly before the update. NOW I find the video jerky and after 5 mins of play, the handset locked up again.

I just cannot understand how the hell this update has been released AND is still available.

If it were MS or IBM it would have been pulled the first sign of trouble.

Can someone recommend the next best thing to an E200 ? - I've had enough !

Guest spockie

hey, i think i found a way to permanently remove cleartype...but cleartype is sooo much better. Anyway try this coz it happeend to mine.

Install the cleartype.cab which was first used to enable cleartype on the old rom

then update your phone with the new ROM

when you're done, your RAM should still hold your stuff including cleartype

then just uninstall it...

i realise i didnt need the cleartype file so i uninstalled it....then rebooted the phone, cleartype was gone???

so i had to reinstall cleartype....weird

mebbe someone can try this in the new ROM n reinstall the new rom again? just a thot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.