Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

yes my keyboard has stoped working it says i need a valid operating system !!!!!!!!!! stupid thing there is aparently a link in this topi for updated drivers but i have not tried them. also i have always had disapering text in both rom versions. and from my last post on this page i have lost another 2 bars on fone and i still havent used it !!!!!!! this extended so called battery life SUCKS my fone will probs be dead when i wake up in the morning,good job i leave my charger at work........

Guest hamed khan
Hmmm I wonder if the problem I'm experiencing is just relative to my phone then!!!  

Since the update the phone looses the icons for any programs stored on the SD card intermittantly, (in my case this is just games), I assume this will be associated to the software switch used to poll the card in order to save battery life...

More disturbingly I've had the phone lock up twice since the update when opening programs stored locally on the phone!!! Not only does it lock up but it wont power down correctly either!!! It just hangs on the splash screen and requires removing the battery to bring it back to life!!!

Anyone else noticed anything similar???

Having same prob as this guy, every once so often (5-10 times per day) my media player doesn't pick up my MP3's on my SD card. Inserting and re-inserting the card fixes the problem, but having to do it all the time is a pain, and it was NEVER a problem b4 the update. Also some of my tracks have randomly been jumping to the next song sometimes for no reason. Any other people?

Guest hamed khan

Ah it wasn't just me then!

Me too! How buggy is this update!? If they didn't even have time to spellcheck the installation, imagine the OS bugs they must have left in?!? I really wish I could go back, the only bonus i am experiencing is battery, and i don't mind giving that up for my phone to go back to normal like b4 the update.

Guest hamed khan

Also sometimes my Activesync disconnects my phone for no reason whatsover, and i have to remove and re-insert the phone in the cradle for it to pick it up again, what the hell is that about? It never did it before, i have suddenly began to realise how unreliable this update has made this phone...

Guest hamed khan
The update is s*** now i have a fone that doesnot work, Bluetoth is still sit cant send a picture to my mates fone which all other bluetoth fones can do.

You CAN send files via bluetooth. I do it all the time, but you have to install the newest version of SmartExplorer.

Most of my problems are the same as many other people:

-SD card disconnecting,

-ActiveSync disconnecting my phone sometimes for no reason (no one else has mentioned this, is it just me?)

-MP3 tracks skipping to next track randomly (must be related to the disconnecting SD card),

-My phone has crashed once since installing the update, but never again and it had never crashed before...ever. I think though if i push my phone it will probably crash, i have always kept it very minimalist, so its not getting much provacation at the mo,

-Performance-wise, if anything, has gone down for me,

-Definetly a drop in in-call sound quality for me, i had the buzzing problem before, but i think this is worse, the sound is way too quiet, MP3 playback through headphones seems ok though...

Motorola are setting the standards now for smartphones, once they release a decent candy bar shaped phone running the newer OS, HTC will be dead ducks.

Out of curiousty Paul or Midnight, what database backend do you use for this site? My dissertation for Uni, has been getting my down and dirty with Distributed Oracle DB's, so i'm super-interested in that kind of stuff :)

Your system doesn't seem to be displaying the correct message post times BTW...

Motorola are setting the standards now for smartphones, once they release a decent candy bar shaped phone running the newer OS, HTC will be dead ducks.

I agree 100%

Guest spockie

erm, you do know that HTC will be assigned by moto to produce their mpx line rite? So now the xphone/e200/qtek and the upcoming mpx are all under HTC

Guest Pondrew

spockie, apparently a company called Chi Mae produced the MPX200 (and probably the 220 if it ever sees the light of day) while the MPX100 and MPX are being produced by Compal.

HTC ARE going to produce the new Motorola iDEN though so you got a point. People seem to be overlooking the fact that Motorola aren't actually making ANY of their Smartphones themselves.

Guest morpheus2702

Yeah, but isn't this true for mobile phones generally (Nokia aside I believe)?

Remember the mumblings when Ericsson said they were no longer manufacturing themselves? No-one really cares as long as the quality is good and the brand identity is maintained.

Guest spockie

gee man, i mean just as long it it isn't htc doing their mpx line its good enough. why aren't they using wm second edition for the mpx100 phone? funny.

now where is that fix for the card slot? apart from that the new rom has been great!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest shadamehr

Specifically for Paul (MVP),

Paul, not EVERYONE is having problems since the ROM Update.

But it's only too true to say that a LOT of people are having major issues though (my perfectly fine speaker, I was a lucky one, is now absolute rubbish for just one example).

That being the case, and given the severity of these issues for those people that are experiencing them, can I ask, have you have any rumblings at all, even vague, from Orange, as to how they plan to resolve this situation?

Even if it's vague, can you share it with us though, as a LOT of people are hoping to hear some good news. The same people that were hanging on for good news in the form of the ROM Update to be, only to find that its a step backwards for some aspects of it.

So PLEASE Paul, if you have even half-indications from Orange as to how they plan to fix this bizarre situation, share with us...?

Guest Maverick

The only problem I have is the battery life (and the occasional SD card lock-up). I dont know if they can increase the battery life further.

I had excessive speaker buzzing before the update... It was like Darth Vader from Star Wars was calling me up! Now it has been fixed and the volume level is not as bad as its made out to be.

Guest DJHope

Cant believe you can't *back-out* a rom upgrade to be honest! Its one of the most essential parts of every release we make at BT! Orange should learn from this and offer everybody a way to revert back.

The only reason i did the upgrade was because i wanted to experiment with bluetooth and bluetooth GPS devices!

However i rang up Orange yesterday after loosing all hope of a way back or a fix and they have fowarded my complaint to "technical support" (read for that monkeys). Hopefully they will agree that my phone is now ready for the toilet and give me a replacement!

We shall see...........

Dave

Guest antman

Battery life has DEFINITELY improved, my E200 ran from a full charge around 6pm Friday and its now almost 10pm Monday and its still on 76hours! Never thought i'd see the day my phone made it through a whole weekend!!! Ok to be honest i haven't used it a great deal probably 30-45mins talktime but this is noticeably better, well done Orange, I think they do deserve some credit even though the speaker is now oh so quiet !

Guest Mr Orange

To let you all know that I have been monitoring the feedback and the issues raised have been reported back to HTC.

I'm currently waiting to hear what the timing will be of any new releases.

As soon as I have any news I shall pass it on.

Guest DJHope

Mr O, Why cant you provide a backout solution, you must have an execuatble rom that will revert our SPV E200's back to the old rom lying about somewere?

Dave

Well im chufed i can now send files via bluetouth tnx to the person that pointed me in the right direction. Aslo regarding card issues i d/l a program that turnes the sdcard on and off, i am yet to c an increse in battery life with this facility, if anything i think its worse...... also from a completly dead batery it took 5 1/2 hours to fully charge with mains adaptor not cradel this useto take a few hours on old rom !!!! Is anyone else sing this problem as well is this a new one ????

Still havenot found a utility that is suposed to improve sound that works on a e200 anyway

Guest markhempstead

my phone also disconnects in active sync - and it just did it as i started typing this!!!

-ActiveSync disconnecting my phone sometimes for no reason (no one else has mentioned this, is it just me?)

Guest atonks
Mr O, Why cant you provide a backout solution, you must have an execuatble rom that will revert our SPV E200's back to the old rom lying about somewere?

Dave

Indeed. Surely there's a copy of the original ROM lying about somewhere at HTC, or Orange, or MS. There must be.

Guest hamed khan

Indeed. Surely there's a copy of the original ROM lying about somewhere at HTC, or Orange, or MS. There must be.

I second that, before the company goes about trying to fix the issues raised (god knows how long thats going to take, they haven't got a good reputation for being quick on the ball for updates) they should provide a way of reverting back to our old ROMs, something they should have done from the beginning.

Guest sgannon

As this thread is being monitored, I'd like to add that buttons have randomly stopped working since the update. Occasionally the back button wont exit an application, but pressing the home button goes back to the home screen and the back button then works again. This morning I had an SMS message but couldn't unlock the phone to view it as the top left soft key didn't work.

Can anyone else confirm that they get this problem?

It also seems to take quite a bit longer to boot up the phone. Not a problem but it adds to the general feeling that the E200 is slower generally than it was pre-update.

Guest Rob_Quads
The only problem I have is the battery life (and the occasional SD card lock-up). I dont know if they can increase the battery life further.

I don't hope they continue to improve the battery life i expect them to. It is still VERY poor and barely up to the specs that the phone is sold on. Last weekend was a prime example.

Left for weekend at brothers around 1pm friday.

Made about 10 minutes of calls during my drive.

No more calls

By saturday evenin it was down to 1 bar

By sunday morning me it was warning me to recharge.

Phones had better battery life 3 years ago. OK the E200 might do 'so' much more but if the battery is dead it does not matter what it could 'potentially do' I can't make that emergency call cause the battery is dead.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.