Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sgannon

Finally had a call from Orange Technical Support yesterday regarding the problems I've had with the ROM update. I don't want to give anyone false hopes, but I was told that the issues of the phone locking up / timer appearing frequently had now been resolved. Apparently there is a fix for these included in the Orange Keyboard Update which is available to download in Orange Updates.

I asked about the SD card problem but he didn't seem to think it would resolve this. They reckon the problem might be caused by installing the ROM with the SD card in the phone. I didn't have my card in when I installed the update so doesn't seem to be much truth in this.

I've installed the keyboard update and I can confirm the SD card problem still exists. However, my phone frequently locked up before and it hasn't done since (apart from when it's looking for something on the SD card, but it used to do it in the middle of a game/app before), nor have I seen the timer. Worth a try I reckon.. :D

Guest Pondrew

:evil: Just installed the keyboard update in the hope that it would do something positive.

What happened? The bl**ding phone locked up and wouldn't come back! This time taking the SD card out and putting it back wouldn't help and I had to remove the battery.

Grrr...

Guest donut128

i've had my e200 for about 5 weeks and it doesn't seem to have a problem with the speaker but the battery life is a bit naff do you think it will need the update or do you think the surplier(orange) or the maker would have already updated it? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: lol

Guest drblow

No m8 - your e200 should have come with the original ROM. Check the version no. in settings>about - the update is version operator 2.6.1.3 / manufacturer 1.11.1.4

The update won't help you with battery life & if you don't have any problems with a buzzing speaker, then if it was me, I'd leave it well alone. There have been more problems post-update than previously & the only benefit I have had is speaker quality. But they only seemed to achieve that by turning the speaker volume down so low its hard to hear anything at all! :evil:

Guest Pondrew

I agree with Drblow about not risking the update but would point out that my battery life was increased about 30% by the update.

Still don't recommend the update though as other people have had loads of problems post update.

Guest Captain Vallo
Apparently there is a fix for these included in the Orange Keyboard Update which is available to download in Orange Updates.

Could you point me in the right direction for this upgrade, as I seem unable to find it on the orange site

Thanks

Guest Disco Stu

You should have a menu item on your phone called Orange Update (might be in the Orange folder)

Run that and the phone will download any available updates.

Follow the instructions to install.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Captain Vallo
You should have a menu item on your phone called Orange Update (might be in the Orange folder)

Run that and the phone will download any available updates.

Follow the instructions to install.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Ah...no wonder I am unable to find it on Orange website

Many thanks

Guest Captain Vallo

Oh well, just downloaded the keyboard update, hoping that it would fix the short cut buttons issues, but it doesnt , how silly of me to think that it would.

Guest sgannon

Not entirely sure what it has or hasn't fixed but my phone generally seems more responsive and it's definitely locked up less frequently. I haven't had to pull the battery once since the keyboard update. It's still a joke that we have to live with the SD card problem - as far as I'm concerned my phone is now faulty.

I would go back to Orange technical support but I spent 25 minutes on the phone to them last time. They ended up puttting me through to an Orange Trainer who knew next to nothing about Smartphones and reckoned if I did a hard reset of the phone the original ROM would be put back. When I told him it wouldn't he told me I could probably download the original ROM from the Microsoft site. Ho hum.. :roll:

Guest sgannon

Orange advising not to apply their own update? Wish the website had given that useful advice. Actually, I didn't really have a choice, although my E200 was much better before, I couldn't use it for voice calls as the speaker quality was so bad.

The operator I spoke to didn't give a detailed reason, tshe just suggested to wait for any bugs to be fixed. I don't think it was the 'official' Orange response. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone got any idear when the bugs in the new rom update will be fixed, mainly the speaker problem mine sounds crap cant use fone while outside have to be in a very quiet room :D. i could say to orange that the screen fades to get a replacement but i dont want a referbished one ;). Orange please herry up and sort it all out !!!!!

Paul,

I understand you met with representatives from Orange at 'The Meet'...Did you grill them on the recent update and the bugs that are apparent with the release of the ROM upgrade ? - was there any positive feedback that us E200 users can get excited about ? - ie - any future plans for updates or is that it ?!!!!

Well if the conversation I had with 'Orange Representatives' is anything to go by you would be lucky to get them to confirm their name!

Orange are unable to give any info about what phones or updates might be available in the future. Quote "If you want to know whats happening at Orange next week, wait till next week and find out"

Yes they do. Got a replacement E200 today and the sound quality is just awful, much worse than my previous handset, it sounds like Im sitting next to and air conditioning unit.

Guest lowbug
Yes they do. Got a replacement E200 today and the sound quality is just awful, much worse than my previous handset, it sounds like Im sitting next to and air conditioning unit.

Pardon? Say again? What was that? :D ;)

I agree the sound is crud :lol:

Guest andie

i foned orange yesterday, "i was on the war path :evil: " abt my speaker prob after the update (sound too low) the lady on the end of the fone ran the diagnostics :roll: and said i need a replacement ;) got it today :twisted: and it has the original rom on it :!: :wink: my speaker may buzz again now but at least i can hear the other person now, not have intermittent probs with gprs and pop 3, it may be a recon but at least it looks new and behaves like a new fone :!: :D :shock:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.