Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest atonks

It took me about two hours to get my phone updated last night. Clear Type is a pain, Caller ID needs everything resetting, lost all my messages and some progs will need to be re-installed. But if the battery lasts longer then all will be forgiven in a few days when I've got it all sorted. Hopefully.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest zabirp

argh everythings gone completly messed. Activesync just will not work, cant sync my contacts so cant update. downloaded the update file 2nd time stil getting corrupred file.......

cant be bothered anymore!

:evil: :evil:

Guest Deemon
If this clear type cannot be turned off then my E200 is for sale. Hate hate hate hate it. Blurry and nasty stupid excuse for a higher res screen, does nothing more than give me a head ache as I try in vain to focus on that once crystal clear screen. Cheers orange looks like I need a new phone now...

All Cleartype does is Antialias the font. its not bluring it its removing the pixelation ....it looks a hundred times better with it on imho !!!

Guest t3dluke

I've always had it on. Its when cleartype wasn't on that drove me mad. Its all I'm used to seeing now since all my displays are TFT. I went back to windows 2000 for a little while only to be driven back to XP due to 2000s lack of ClearType.

Why we have to lose all our text's i dont know. No wonder it's faster, it wipes everything on the phone.

don't like clear type either.

Lost all my photos too, didnt back them up, must have missed the warning. Mega pissed.

Guest dazza12
has anyone else found their bluetooth range has improved too?

I've noticed this. Before the update, I could only use Bluetooth to sync with the PC if I was sat in front of it. 3m away was iffy, anything above this was a no no. Now, I can sync anywhere in the room, and it appears to work 1 floor down as well. Means I can keep my phone synched when watching telly and use MSN Messenger without running up GPRS charges!

Guest t3dluke

But they haven't fixed the problem of bluetooth headsets breaking up when you put the phone in your pocket, so the phone still isn't working as advertised. I can get the phone to play back streaming mp3 at 23kbs up to 4m away. The headset has a massive range, about 8m I'd say from testing on my computer (I did a review of the headset here). So I don't know why this is happening, except that the headset only crackles when the phone is right next to my body or in my pocket, very strange.

Free memory on boot has dropped a lot too.

Allow me to rant for a second. Imagine if Service pack 2 for xp deleted your email, made you reinstall all your programs or worse yet, delete everything in your my documents folder. We keep on getting told this ISN'T just a phone, it's a PIM, and yet they go and do something utterly stupid like wiping everything on update.

Ok, i should have read before hand and used orange update to backup my texts and photos but then imo the warning that everything was goign to be deleted should have been much bigger.

I've been happy with my spv since day 1, today is the first time i wish i'd never bought it.

Guest rhaleuk

Got the update on OK. I really liked the way it looked before the the phone rebooted - when I saw Pocket MSN I was dead chuffed as Im an MSN Premium subscriber, but then when the custom Orange stuff was applied it dissapeared.

Secondly, I think battery life is better, I've had BT on discoverable for a few hours now and its not doing too badly.

I personally really like the clear type.

It does seems marginally quicker, but then it is effectively a "format" of the device and we all know what a difference that makes to PC's so it probably applies to phones to an extent also.

Range on the bluetooth while using the headset is AWFUL. I will live with it, but its MASSIVELY crackily to me.

Sound quality through the phone it self is much, much improved, but I think they basically lowered the frequency sampling and volume.

Not a bad update at all, and much appreciated of course.

Note: Setting up Bluetooth activesync was a pain in the preverbial this time.

Guest Baddass

All went well with the update..........took about 25mins tho!!

buzzing has gone completely, although i never had it too bad b4 anyway :) well happy now!!

is it me tho or can u no longer install PHM Reg edit??

couldnt use the app unlock prog but OTA worked fine so have ti app unlocked again. had to install all my progs again but didnt take long

just PHM REgedit which is being a problem so far.....

Guest Bonzo

Hmmm I wonder if the problem I'm experiencing is just relative to my phone then!!!

Since the update the phone looses the icons for any programs stored on the SD card intermittantly, (in my case this is just games), I assume this will be associated to the software switch used to poll the card in order to save battery life...

More disturbingly I've had the phone lock up twice since the update when opening programs stored locally on the phone!!! Not only does it lock up but it wont power down correctly either!!! It just hangs on the splash screen and requires removing the battery to bring it back to life!!!

Anyone else noticed anything similar???

Guest Baddass

nothing like that here..........seems ok so far......just resetting my speed dials etc...........orange backup was a godsend for restoring contacts and stuff........very good :)

Guest v1nn1e

I have had some Storage card problems to. sometimes it shows that i have no files in some of my folders when i really do have some in there. Happened when using smart explorer and the file browser in ia caller id.

Guest DeFacto

I only got my e200 this week so it wasn't such a long-awaited update for me. I tried installing it last night, but it kept hanging on the tricolour screen. I tried everything that was said; shutting down/disabling ZA, taking the battery out, switching the USB port but it didnt help.

I went to sleep with the prospect that phone would be stuck on this screen for quite some time, which was quite worrying. This morning, I tried installing the update from my other pc [which did not have ZA installed] and it worked perfectly [well, apart from the fact that Orange's 5mins is more like 10mins real time]

Clearvue takes a bit of getting used to, I've also noticed the volume seems to be lower during voice calls [even at max volume] but at least the bass isn't so loud now.

Guest blowdart
I've also noticed the volume seems to be lower during voice calls [even at max volume]but at least the bass isn't so loud now.

Ah it wasn't just me then!

Guest pd.ryder

Having downloaded and installed this ROM update, I've just had lengthy conversations with Orange data-support. They resorted to reading me the review posted on your site!! :shock: I patiently explained my problem - I can get any Bluetooth headset to pair with the phone but none of them will invoke it's "Headset Profile" which makes using the device a totally manual affair. I have to force the headset to answer a call, have no auto-answer function and the phone continues to vibrate merrily away like an Anne Summers weekend whilst sitting in the car's cradle! There's also no redial function or reject call facility. They have recommended the Plantronics M3000 device (available on their website!) but having already tried and tested 4 different devices (including the Jabra 250 - also recommended) which have all functioned identically, I'm reluctant to rush back to the shop to swap it yet again. I also pointed out to the Tech support staff there is no other Bluetooth functionality such as file sharing or picture sending (embarrassed silence :oops: ). At this point I would have to agree the ROM Update is relatively pointless, certainly with respect to Bluetooth. Anyone else get any further?? :roll:

Guest blowdart
At this point I would have to agree the ROM Update is relatively pointless, certainly with respect to Bluetooth. Anyone else get any further?? :roll:

Well I can finally use it as a modem from my Tecra. So it's not entirely useless :)

Guest lowbug
has anyone else found their bluetooth range has improved too?

Yes by alot the Jabra BT200 works like a dream now!

:)

The font looks gash though :lol:

Guest Zoltanh

Hello,

I have a QTEK 8080 mobile. This mobile was bought from Dangaard and not for Orange. Is this update is good for my mobile or just only Orange users?

Thanks,

Zoltan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.