Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lowbug

Also noticed the no sound after you change to slient profile and then back to a non slient profile bug is STILL there..... :roll:

Anyone got a clue how to fix this?

Guest nickcornaglia

When you pair a BT Headet to the phone.....

a quick screen pops up that asks if you want it to be your headset.

Then goes away VERY quickly...you can almost miss it.

Delete your BT Headset from the list of bonded devices.

Turn it off and on again while the phone is in Discoverable Mode.

When it sees the headset...enter the password and click DONE.

Then hit the done button again.

It will remember the keypress and enter YES when it asks if you want it to be your headset....before the screen goes away.

remember....you have to be quick!!!!!

Guest cptkev2

when i download the initial small program from the orange web site i get a message saying "is not a valid win32 application"

any ideas? im on xp pro

Guest unclelimey

after a few mins, i cant play any games on my storage card until i take the sd card out and put it back in again.. who's bloody idea was that??!! just to save battery power.... crap.

oh, and who's bloody idea was the font change, it now feels like i need a pair of glasses everytime i look at my phone because its all burred....

to whoever tested this update... next time.. open your eyes and actually look at it before telling orange its ok! :twisted:

Guest kevlar

I see some people have had more trouble setting up activesync after the update, I'm now one of them!. I've paired my phone with my headset and my bluetooth dongle, but can't get active sync to connect. Com ports are set the same. Anybody know how to do this?

thanks in advance

Kevlar

Guest atonks

I'm having the same problem with the phone not seeing the files on the SD card, and the phone freezing. The phone is now worse than it was before the update! The battery probably lasts longer because the phone is unusable. I'm already sick of having to remove the battery before I can do anything. Thanks for nothing Orange.

I hope Mr Orange has something to say about this, but judging on past form he'll probably just disappear. And Paul, you tested this update. Any comments from you? Can I go back to the old OS?

Mad as fcuk!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest nickcornaglia
when i download the initial small program from the orange web site i get a message saying "is not a valid win32 application"

any ideas? im on xp pro

When I first downloaded the program it was only 93K.

Downloaded it again and got the full update package.

Guest midnight

for those complaining about the update removing all your data, its well known by the majority that any update removes your personal data/settings, but if you didnt know on the update page is FAQ's, and i quote....

Q: Will I lose my data when I upgrade?

A: Yes, all of your personal data and settings on the device will be erased by the update with the exception of the SD card content which will be left untouched.

Therefore, it is necessary to backup all your personal data (contacts, appointments, tasks) using either Active Sync or Orange Backup (in the Start/Orange folder on your phone).  

To backup items like pictures, videos, backgrounds and ringtones, you will need to copy them from the SPV E200 to your PC through Active Sync by clicking on Explore and then on "My Smartphone". You can then copy the contents of the following folders to your PC:  

ringtones are stored in StorageApplication DataSounds

backgrounds and themes are stored in StorageApplication DataHome

pictures, videos and most of the documents you may have are stored in StorageMy Documents"

Guest ultimasnake

Any dutch people tried it yet? i just CANT WAIT FOR THE DUTCH UPDATE ... and since there wern't even updates through the phone i am guessing the update might take longer to get here

and what if i just try it.... will it screw my phone? or my network ? :S

NM!!!!

tried it

error 100 : Incompatible rom image , the rom image you are trying to use is not designed to work with YOUR e200.

Guest martinkwright

Was trying to update my i-mateâ„¢ Smartphone2.

Many failures and up all night... still no luck. I am left with the following.

:evil: ERROR 117: INCOMPATIBLE IMAGE :evil:

I have tried on multiple machines and with many different options. There has to be a way to "force" this.

Any thoughts?

Does anyone know how long it takes for i-mate to release thier updates.

Guest Rusty

How big exactly is this download, i've got it a few times, with various file sizes ranging from 312kb to 438kb. None of them work so just wondered how big it actually is so i know when i've got it

Rusty

Guest Rusty

Just a bit :) Am using GPRS data card for internet access on my laptop and whilst my download speed do tend to be very good (3-6k/s) it does have a habit of finishing downloads early whilst saying they're complete. I'll have to wait until i go into work on monday and plug it into the network :lol:

Rusty

Guest kevlar

I'm not very impressed with this update. Yes, the buzzing sound is gone but I can barely here the person on the other end now. All they've done is remove all the lower frequencies and turned the volume down to stop the absolutely shite e200 speaker from rattling. My phone seems generaly less responsive than before and is definately less stable, I've had to pull the battery a few times. Sometimes I can't see what's on the sd card through active sync ( through the cradle ) and I haven't been able to get active sync to link to my phone through bluetooth yet ( this may be my fault ). The battery may be slightly better, but still nowhere near 2 days. This update is going to need a quick follow up to sort this out.

I'm not normally negative about the spv/e200 but this is how I see it.

Kevlar

Guest Bonzo

Well in addition to the problems I've listed earlier I too have now had the problem of no files being seen as existing on the SD card until I remove & replace the card!!!

I'm starting to thing those who beta tested the update had little or no idea of what happens in the real world and tested VERY VERY few real world applications!!! But there again as a hardware engineer I get that feeling a lot :)

Guest v1nn1e

same sd card problem here!

can we not complain to orange?

Totally useless update. Sound quality was better before even if it did 'buzz'. Only good thing is that they put better icons for the bluetooth and 'clear storage' programs! :roll:

Something has to be done!

Free mpx100 to all e200 owners for the promise of a fix by tech support that was not kept! That should do me!

Guest Bonzo

It's a REALLY horrible thing to have to ask but having read other posts on this forum and coming from the olde world!!!, (by that I mean being way too old), do people like orange, MS or, (I hate to say it as I REALLY respect these people), forums like this have any idea about firmware engineering???

I realise its way too many years back but I did used to write software and to do so U needed a GOOD grounding in the hardware associated which would've given the .NET guys a good understanding of just how the software inertacts and the effects of what they do in the real world!!

It just seems that the two ideas of hardware and software have gotten WAY too far apart now to the detriment of all concerned!

Guest Disco Stu

So what happened to the beta-testing ? Surely all this should have been spotted ? Why was no post-beta report filed here ?

Guest Bonzo

Once again... knowing just how software, hardware and firmware testing goes.. yeah a lot of it should've been spotted.... most of it probably was AND was reported but none of it needed to be or should've been reported here as the general public are not required to know of things during testing!! It's just that simple... Beta and post beat reports are filed with the firmware providers for their inspection... unfortunately like most things bugs DO escape into the real world and indeed they are expected to because not everything can be tested....

sorry.. am trying to play devils advocate here :twisted:

Guest Bonzo
jason76 Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Orange release UK E200 update  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I WANT A NEW PHONE  its pants  

May I ask why exactly??? Does the phone not make phone calls??? Does it not do WAY more than make phone calls??? Is it not WAYYYYY more advanced than pretty much any other phone on the market??? Remember a lot of the moans and gripes here are REALLY minor issues above what a phone SHOULD do!!! So just why is it pants???

Guest nickcornaglia

Strange. I dont know what all of the negative problems are. Other than the cleartype defaulting to on (which I'm getting used to), my phone has been runnnin great. I'm very happy with it.

I'm thirsty. I think I'll go drink that half full glass of water over there.

Guest rortec

OK my views after the update.

The initial download was hard work but eventually got it to work. The upload took about 1 hour from the start to being able to use the phone.

Not sure about the font, but i am getting use to it. But i must say I'm really impressed how the buzzing has gone and for me the volume is fine, if anything it is too loud and i can turn it back down if need be. It now sounds like a normal phone!

Connecting to my SD card is fine after any length of time, i can access music/games no problem.

Battery life: The phone has now been on some 16 hrs after the charge and it still has 2 bars left, i have made many calls and played games, normally with the same use it would last 4hrs max.

So to sum up (so far), i am very happy with update.

Just had a problem.. couldn't send MMS or get an internet connection. Easy fix though, got a another Sim update and all is well again.

Looking back through this thread it is strange how different the phones have reacted to this updated?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.