Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Disco Stu

Bonzo, say you owned an E200 and didn't work in IT. This thread isn't doing much for my confidence in Orange or Microsoft. The finer details are irrelevant to the general public.

Looks bad from a consumer relations point of view.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

just demanded a replacement from orange as the update has

completely trashed my handset.

font is unreadable and handset locks up. not 2 mention sd card problem. orange have admitted it is faulty and are gonna replace it and waive the admin fee.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Pulse, I don't understand how that can be the case, nato, seems like you have a problem with your handset in particular.

As you know, myself and a few select people helped test the update builds.

Although not perfect in some respects, we definitely experienced improvements in the key areas Orange wanted to address in this release, primarily in the areas of sound quality and battery life.

For me, it finally makes the device usable!

I'm at a loss as to how anyone could say they preferred the phone before the update.

One last word on ClearType, get used to it, on all of the other 2003 devices i've used - the Voq and another I can't disclose, it is also ON by default :-)

P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Oh, and for what it's worth, we had no say in when or whether the update was at a sufficient point for release, our involvement was purely from an end user testing respective.

Still, nice to be involved!

P

Guest rikwebb

We have all moaned and groaned about buzzing and battery life, and Orange Have taken notice......

IMHO

Bluetooth is better, if not perfect

Battery life is better, if not perfect

Sound quality (key requirement for phone, is better, if not perfect

And best of all, I can now get some GPS software to work, which means the e200 can replace my PDA.

Lets face it, they have taken notice of us, and tried to do something about it. Remember, we are using cutting edge technology, it was only a few years ago we had mobiles the size of car batteries, and they lasted for about 2 hours.

Good on you O, keep the updates comming.

Rik

Guest nickcornaglia

I can already here the arguments to the "but not perfect" parts of your comment. But I believe the e200 is the best phone I've ever had and the best Smartphone I've ever had. I'm extremely pleased.

There's always room for improvement. But what an extremely nice device this is!

Guest pisquee

Yup, definately room for improvements ... as long as these improvements keep coming. Would be nice to get things like updates for sound and video cards, or windows itself - regular updates to fix newly discovered bugs, and to improve functionality, refine the code etc ... especially if we could have generic software available from HTC/MS if we want instead of having to use the networks.

Guest midnight

errr, just butting in here, cos i dont know peoples settings etc and i dont even have an e200 so obviously havent tried this update, but, when you install a new update all settings are trashed, that does include the volume settings (and as default they are all slightly too low), so i'd check all your volumes are turned up (including those in the profiles), like i said, if this isnt the problem people are having then i apologise :)

Guest nickcornaglia

Version: 4.20.0 (Build 13288)

Radio: 1.12.01

Operator: 2.6.1.3

Manufacturer: 1.11.1.4

Microsoft: 4.20.13288.0

Language: 1.11.1.4

File System: 4.20.13288.0

Guest Sam71

I'm on the xphone, mine is as follows, forward slash against yours

Version: 4.20.0 (Build 13288) / 4.20.0 (Build 13291)

Radio: 1.12.01 / 1.10.00

Operator: 2.6.1.3 / 1.7.10.2

Manufacturer: 1.11.1.4 / 1.7.10.2

Microsoft: 4.20.13288.0 / 4.20.13291.0

Language: 1.11.1.4 / 1.7.10.2

File System: 4.20.13288.0 / 4.20.13291.0

was contemplating upgrading mine.

Thanks

Guest t3dluke

I agree that the phone seems to be working much better but I'm dissapionted that bluetooth headsets are still cracking up when the phone is put into my pocket, this isn't an advanced feature and should work as advertised. It really is very strange, is this a fault with my phone in partitcular? Or has everyone else been having this problem, even post update? And before anyone asks it certainly isn't the headset, it works fine over large distances with my PC and a friends T610.

Guest nickcornaglia

I tried my headset tonight (BlueTrek G2) and it worked great. Actually, I forgot I had Bluetooth on and the headset on. I went outside to make a call. After dialing and hitting send...I couldnt hear anything on the phone. The headset had activated on the call from about 40 feet away, thru the wall. I had to run inside to get the BT Headset as I dont know how to release it while on a call. But that's good news if you ask me.

Guest AaronSoup

very happy with the update. battery up by about 35% cleartype is great for me.. evidently you don't use your phones out in the sun. much clearer, you'll be thanking orange come summer when nokia users arE busy hiding their phones away from the sun and your chrome is blinding them :) thankyou orange and thanks to everyone who helped test it. Posted from my newly improved SmartPhone!

Paul,

if the handset is faulty why are other people experiencing the same problems?

im not saying its not, but need to know whether to apply the update again when my new handset arrives.

Ive lost confidence in orange a bit as it clearly hasnt been tested enough.

Guest kevlar

Paul, what about the intermitent sd card problem and phone now being less stable than before? The cleartype I don't mind, the ' adjustment ' to sound quality ( I wouldn't call it an improvement myself ) I can put up with, but the phone locking up 3 times in the last 24 hours I can't put up with. Also trying to browse my sd card through active sync crashing active sync?

Kevlar

Guest Paul [MVP]

I use my phone pretty extensively, and haven't experienced either lockups or the apparent SD card problem.

P

Guest Bonzo

OK then let me try and be fairly objective about this... in general yes I have to agree that the update a definite improvement on the original release in many areas and has addressed a lot of the major concerns with the phone... and yes it's still the best phone I've owned and does all that I want in a phone and much much more...

Now let me ask anyone who has suffered the phone locking up or crashing since the update has it locked up while using any of the core MS software included in the ROM? With me it's been with third party applications so it's just possible that the ROM update has affected the way certain things are addressed etc. so it's not the ROM itself that is unstable...

Also the intermittant SD card issue... remember the SD card itself isn't part of the phones hardware so it's just possible that this issue appears with certain makes of card when the software switch is activated, (I'm still assuming it to be a software switch that's been added to effectively put the card to sleep and wake it up again). So it would be nice to see what makes of card people are using that have experienced this problem and those who havent too.

Regarding the Cleartype problem.

Why didn't they add an off/on for it?

They've forced it upon us and have to like it or lump it.

I am getting used to it, but this doesn't mean I like it. I don't.

Would installing the Cleartype app give us the option to turn it off? If so, I'll be getting it.

Otherwise I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Guest pd.ryder

Must say, most disappointed with the "improved" audio quality. Mine now sounds extremely metalic having lost all trace of low end. Pre-update, at least callers sounded human even if I did have to turn them down a bit to stop the vibrations.

Don't like the new font either, a switch would've been nice. Still no "headset" profile with BT no matter how frustrated I get!! :)

Guest Baddass
Strange. I dont know what all of the negative problems are. Other than the cleartype defaulting to on (which I'm getting used to), my phone has been runnnin great. I'm very happy with it.

I'm thirsty. I think I'll go drink that half full glass of water over there.

hehe, yeah me too! i didnt have many problems b4 anyway, and now it's even better, im happy with what they ahve done, i know it's not perfect or anything, but if it were we would have no reason to post on these forums unless saying "my SPV is great" all the time....... :) lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.