Orange release UK E200 update

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest mensar

I must say that I like the new update. My battery lasts much longer than before and the sound is so much better.

Has the E200 always been able to play music and turn the backlight off after a few seconds, but when you play movies it keeps the back light on? I don't remember being able to do that before the update!!

Guest Pulse

Paul, I really havent noticed an improvement. I dont use GPRS, so makes no difference to me, and bluetooth is the same for me. Battery life is actually worse, and that was the only thing I wanted improving. Sound quality on mine was fine beforehand.

Guest Bonzo

I just noticed something... each time my phone has locked up it's been when using software that in some way or another has to access the SD card!!! So the whole locking up and SD card issues may be all related... to anyone who suffers this locking up issue just try removing the SD card and re-inserting it beofre U power down or remove the battery :)

Guest kalantz
I'm not very impressed with this update. Yes, the buzzing sound is gone but I can barely here the person on the other end now. All they've done is remove all the lower frequencies and turned the volume down to stop the absolutely shite e200 speaker from rattling. My phone seems generaly less responsive than before and is definately less stable, I've had to pull the battery a few times. Sometimes I can't see what's on the sd card through active sync ( through the cradle ) and I haven't been able to get active sync to link to my phone through bluetooth yet ( this may be my fault ). The battery may be slightly better, but still nowhere near 2 days. This update is going to need a quick follow up to sort this out.

I'm not normally negative about the spv/e200 but this is how I see it.

Kevlar

I experiecne exactly the same probs...

:)

Guest londonlad

what does the update exactly do. Is this the impression you get:

improved battery life - sd card controller, no improvement if you dont use one, must be the reason for not reading sd cards properly. It seems this is the only improvement they have added in respect to battery life.

better bluetooth - not sure if theres any improvement so far, mines seems untouched so far, didnt think HTC could do much to it anyways, no handsfree profile, whats your experiences

improved sound quality - sounds like a pair of cans and a piece of string. Its just too sharp.

What bout all the issues and bugs Will compiled!? Nothing!!

please tell me its possible to revert back to the original rom?

Guest kevlar

This thread is getting a bit long, some people liking the upgrade, some not. I'm going to start a seperate thread ' new bugs since update ' so we can compile the issues into some kind of list. I'll post it in the E200 section.

Kevlar

Guest jason76
May I ask why exactly??? Does the phone not make phone calls??? Does it not do WAY more than make phone calls??? Is it not WAYYYYY more advanced than pretty much any other phone on the market??? Remember a lot of the moans and gripes here are REALLY minor issues above what a phone SHOULD do!!! So just why is it pants??

just having troble with bluetooth conection and my speaker buzzes when playing music the first e200 did not. still the best phone out thier :)

Guest unicron
I must say that I like the new update. My battery lasts much longer than before and the sound is so much better.

Has the E200 always been able to play music and turn the backlight off after a few seconds, but when you play movies it keeps the back light on? I don't remember being able to do that before the update!!

I noticed the same thing .....finaly the light stays on. As for the rest the phone is great, I have no problems and the update took 4-5 minutes to do.

Erm new handset coming today to replace my trashed phone post update. One thing, I just gave my trashed handset a hard reboot and it seems to have improved no end. no lock ups and seems to read Sd card ok. Can i suggest all those with problems do the same and post back results. As i said mine seems ok but im still gonna accept the replacement. :)

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Baddass
Oh god!! My phone was totally reset by the upgrade............

errr, yeah..........that is expected isn't it? it warns you on the update page that it will erase eveything, and u need to back up all your contacts etc.......Orange Backup is your friend :)

Guest londonlad

correct me if a wrong, did the e200 have concatenated messaging (if you write more than 160 characters, it carries on to another sms eg. 165/2) before the update?

correct me if a wrong, did the e200 have concatenated messaging (if you write more than 160 characters, it carries on to another sms eg. 165/2) before the update?

It did

Guest Kajjy

Good old SD card issue - is anyone who's having SD card issue using 256MB that has yellow lock tab? Still wondering if they're fixed or even noticed this problem......

Guest raptorman

yOu can't please all the people all the time.

I did the update, it hung. disconnected batt and it worked ok, then hung on the boot loader screen. didn't panic this happens with servers when you least need it to happen. third try and the update worked.

Better sound, bluetooth still works, it erased everything(it did give a warning. be fair)

and so far in this short space of time battery life seems better.

Now I have an Ipaq that is heavily used and that now needs charging every day. The phone still has flaws but you have to accept them to a degree. this is new technology.

I love it and continue to..

Just my two penneth worth..

Guest atonks

I don't see how having a phone that locks up, often can't see the SD card, and has to be reset by removing the battery can possibly be seen as an improvement. Bluetooth for a headset is no better. My only problem with my E200 before was poor battery life, and that wasn't a major problem because I'm never far from a charger.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Just a thought for those who are having issues - trust me on this one - please try a 'Clear Storage' from the accessories menu, and see if it is better afterwards, be aware this will effectively hard reset your handset though.

Had my phone running for nearly 48 hours now, pretty amazing! Battery seems to last for ever after the low battery warnings start appearing!

P

Guest pd.ryder
"]Just a thought for those who are having issues - trust me on this one - please try a 'Clear Storage' from the accessories menu' date=' and see if it is better afterwards, be aware this will effectively http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset your handset though.']

Paul, surely the update will clear this storage quite efficiently. Hence, a lot of the moans. Just a thought...

Guest Pondrew
It's appaling that Orange have inflicted this botched up, so called update on us.

Whoah there. Speak for yourself and the few other folks who have posted problems. Personally I've been delighted with the update. Battery life is up at least 35% with average use, Windows Media player automatically keeps backlight on for movies regardless of power settings, clearfont is cool (once you get used to it), and I'm looking forward to using my E200 for in car sat nav once I get a decent GPS mouse.

Sorry you've had problems but my E200 hasn't crashed once since updating (not that it's crashed much at all since I got it last November) and I would have to say the sound quality is greatly improved whether incall or movie/music playback.

Thanks for the update Orange.

Guest spacecowboy6982

Sorry you've had problems but my E200 hasn't crashed once since updating (not that it's crashed much at all since I got it last November) and I would have to say the sound quality is greatly improved whether incall or movie/music playback.

Thanks for the update Orange.

Not one crash......ever for me - just "cleared storage" - hopefully this will help my battery :)

(I have the O2 Xphone and not E200...)

My Xphone has the problem where it locks up when it's near a large metal object and an incoming call comes in. When I sent it in for repairs the technician told me that they have an update for the Xphone that could fix this particular problem. Maybe this is causing problems for others that don't have this problem in the first place...

Guest rikwebb

just a thought, have any of the guys with problems tried re applying the update again?

i did not have my memory card inserted when i performed the update.

as i say, just a thought. its worth a try.!!

Rik

Guest Roland

FWIW, the upgrade went fine for me on my E200. I will say that I have been selectively re-applying applications and have not had any lock-ups, etc. using a SanDisk 256M SD card. The one thing I haven't been able to accomplish is get my dev phone OTA de-certified via the Orange website and, as noted, the old unlock doesn't fly...

Guest Pondrew

Although the ota unlock site gave me a blank screen instead of the your phone will shortly be unlocked message the E200 itself gave the unlock message straight away. It SHOULD still work.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.