Megadrive Emulator READ 1st POST

Guest retro

Guest fdave
Now accepts .smd ???

Just renamed 70 odd roms. bugger.

Great works guys :D

Hi folks, dave here,

Just poking my head up to point something fairly important - you might have figured this out already, but please don't rename BIN to SMD or SMD to BIN, it'll piss everyone off! - they are very very different file formats.

PicoDrive on the Pocket PC and possibly on the SmartPhone as well does actually autodetect if you get it wrong, but there's really no point renaming at all - all you do is bugger up your roms so you can't load them.

BIN files are the 'proper' file format - it's just a copy of the cartridge, plain and simple - perfect for emulators. they come in sizes like 256k, 512k, 1024k. Load it up, bish bash bosh, emulate it.

SMD files are more irritating, they are interleved and have a header, so they appear as 257k, 513k, 1025k etc. But don't rename them, *convert* them to BIN format. If you rename them, another emulator will try and load it as a .BIN file, load it completely wrong, and crash your phone. It's the same the other way round to - don't rename .BIN to .SMD. There are apps out there (smd2bin etc) which convert them to and from BIN format.

So the bottom line is, if they are 257k, 513k, 1025k, 2049k etc, they should be .SMD, and if you really really want a .BIN file, run SMD2BIN or GoodGen or whatever.

If they are 256k, 512k, 1024k, 2048k etc, they should be .BIN.

Don't mix em up or I'll never hear the end of it from fellow Megadrive emu authors for putting an autodetect in!!! ;)

[update - sounds like this was because an earlier version of the Smartphone emu only accepted .BIN files in the actual file selector, but strangely, loaded a SMD named as a BIN... Max has fixed this one now fortunately!]

Carry on folks! Hope you're enjoying the emulator!

Guest fdave
my fault  :cry:  sorry  :D

Gulp, I feel like Monica from Friends...

"EVERYONE HAS TO HAVE FUN IN A CONTROLLED MANNER AND WITH THE RIGHT FILENAME EXTENSIONS!!"

...Well okay, she probably never said that *exact* thing... ;)

Guest quacka

your such a friends freak :D

Thanks for the work fdave

did you managed to fix the profiling problem you have with cyclone that yu post on retrogames?

Guest nedge2k

This app gets better everyday :D

Im lovin the load/save jobbie 8)

Is there any way to allow the camera button to be used in the Key Settings app? It works when I press and hold (Record) but when I just press (Camera) it loads up the camera :?

Also, alot of the beat 'em ups used X Y Z keys. Any chance of getting them in the app?

Finally, will the cancel problem be fixed in the romload screen and is it possible for you to add something that will actvate the SD card before the screen? E200's have a habit of forgetting that the SD card is there and when you run picodrve the romload screen is empty. On one of the previous versions you could hit cancel, the prog would go to blank screen and then you'd press 4 to exit. That doesnt work now so there is no way of exitiing the program to re-load the roms.

Keep up the good work guys, this is THE best app ever made for the smartphone (with the exception of SmartExplorer and RegEdit that is :wink: )

Guest Taoski

Got Sonic 1 running.

Pressed 4 to exit the app... phone locked... had to remove the battery.

It reset my phone! App locked - original orange homescreen and all!

Doh!

Guest maxh2003
It reset my phone!

D'oh indeed :-(

Haven't seen anything like this on mine - has anyone else?

i can't really imagine what PicoDrive could have done to cause the software fault. The main executable reads from the registry but doesn't write to it, so I can't see how that could be the cause (corrupted registry being a very likely cause of a hard reset).

You might not want to but can you try replicating this with your newly-hard-reset'ted phone, and see if you can get it to happen again?

One last question: is your phone an original SPV, E100, E200, etc.?

Maybe there is a fault in PicoDrive, or maybe this was just one of those annoying spontaneous resets you get from time to time?

Anyway, all PicoDrive for Smartphone users should consider themselves warned by Taoski...

Guest xavierjohn22

E100 héré, nöt yét expériéncing thät öné.

And if evér, ill try it öut ön thé newly hard reset state.

anyway sprite is always héré tö hélp réstöré.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest maxh2003
You can save? how?

1) Get the latest version from my website (dated 04/05/2004)

2) Run the Define Keys application, even if you ran a previous version already. The updated Define Keys application will ask you to define keys for load and save, in addition to all the other keys

3) Run the emulator and press the key you defined for save

4) ...?

5) Profit!

8)

Guest djboo

any idea when dave will add sound? when he does, will it drop straight into this emu - as cool as it is, its weird ghostly silent!

Guest ka_oni_kappa

Im just happy that we have a decent emulator for the smartphone!!

chances are is that it will run too slow with sound anyway!

Guest djboo

the option is always nice - and if its like genesyst on dos, then u can choose to just emulate the sfx chip, and not the music chip.

Guest Taoski
You might not want to but can you try replicating this with your newly-http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>hard-reset'ted phone, and see if you can get it to happen again?

One last question: is your phone an original SPV, E100, E200, etc.?

All works ok now thanks!

Must have been a one of those hard reset glitch type things after all.

Oh.. and i have an original SPV

Guest Taoski

Ah... all went tits again this morning when i was playing Sonic on the train.

It did exactly the same again - but just reset the phone - not a hard reset this time.

However - the phone was also playing up when i was listening to PocketMusic. When i went to check my calendar the phone just hourglassed for ever and then rebooted itself. It did it with various apps about 5 times in 1 hour. So it could be my phone after all... i am gonna do a hard reset later when i get all my stuff backed up.

Multitasking my arse!

Guest maxh2003
So it could be my phone after all...
It does sound like the classic "Original SPV" Hard Reset defect. My old Original SPV hard-reset itself three times in the year that I had it. Touch wood, my E200 hasn't hard-reset at all since I got it in December. Guess they fixed at least part of the problem in Windows Mobile 2003, but that's not much consolation if you've got Smartphone 2002...

Thx for the feedback taoski :lol:

btw...

Multitasking my arse!

Multitasking your arse is a bad idea! It can lead to nasty buffer overflows... :)

Guest muzzio_giovanni

Hi every1,i've found a rom ,into the .zip there is 2 files : shadows.bin ( and this is ok) and another one .gs0 (supershadows.gs0) what kind is a file .gs0 some1 knows this kind of file?

i must to rename in .bin?

my rom of don't work properly : when i jump the "little man" fly!!!! don't return down and all the skulls "fly" too,have you got this problem? there is a solution? i have last version of picodrive but it don't recognize the .smd files.

Guest darren22

Working on my original SPV.

Just cannot believe how fast this is.

This is an excellent emu, already wowing jealous colleagues in the office.

Guest maxh2003

Hi Muzzio

(supershadows.gs0) what kind is a file .gs0
A quick Google search suggests that the .GS0 file you have is a saved game file:

http://www.google.com/search?q=.gs0+sonic&...=UTF-8&c2coff=1

There's very little chance that PicoDrive will read this file correctly (not that I ever tried) so you might as well delete it. Presumably it's a save-game showing you what happens at the end of the game, or something similar.

my rom of ghoust'ngouls don't work properly : when i jump the "little man" fly!!!!

This happens for me too. Maybe a future version will fix this.

i have last version of picodrive but it don't recognize the .smd files.

Very odd. The latest version of PicoDrive should show .SMD and .BIN files in the same list - IIRC, the .SMD files appear at the top of the list, followed by the .BIN files. If it isn't showing .SMD files, chances are you're somehow still running the old version. I suggest re-downloading PicoDrive, then checking that you're running the correct executable, and not an old one left lying around on your phone. There are some out-of-date links on the web to old versions, so make sure you go via www.gamesforsmartphones.co.uk/picodrive.shtml which will always link to the latest version only.

Obvious feature I really should've added to PicoDrive for Smartphone by now: a completely unmissable on-screen note of the version / build number, probably at startup (or possibly replacing the unusable "Load ROM" / "Debug" softkey text, as seen in the File Requester). Next version will have something like this.