Megadrive Emulator READ 1st POST

Guest retro

Guest ka_oni_kappa
my rom of ghoust'ngouls don't work properly : when i jump the "little man" fly!!!! don't return down and all the skulls "fly" too,have you got this problem? there is a solution?

Yeah i have the same prob with ghouls and ghosts! shame though , great game!

more and more roms seem to work with every new version of picodrive they bring out!

cant wait for the new version. just need dave to emulate that z80 sound chip so we can have sound :wink:

Guest djfuego

I can't get it running on my e100

I've had to re install 1.6 update cause I crashed the whole phone with MVP

I've attempted 3 cert unlocks on my phone and even though the phone says it's unlocked. I go to run the app and it says The program can't run because it is not digitally signed with a trusted cert.

Guest chiefdave

i've got the emu workin fine, nice job guys, got a couple of little problems tho. if i hit cancel on the rom selection screen the phone locks up and i have to take the battery out. also with edit i keep getting the bottom half of the screen going a see through blue (making everything look like it's underwater) anyone else getting that?

Guest kr00t0n

just found an annoying problem. i have been using the save function for phantasy star 4. was playing sonic2 earlier and my gf called, shutting down the emu. when i restarted sonic it was where i left off, brilliant, only this save has overwritten my ps4 savegame :) Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest djfuego

Nope I've deffinetly de-certed my phone, because I have other apps that won't run when I re-cert it and run when I de-cert it.. It's just this new Emu app that's not working.

Do I have to De-cert my phone by browsing with it because I just put the info in from my PC and the sms goes to my phone anyway.

Guest maxh2003

Taken one-by-one:

if i hit cancel on the rom selection screen the phone locks up
This is a "known issue" = bug, and will be fixed in the next version. Workaround on WM2003 is to press-and-hold the Home button, which will bump you out of the emulator (though it will still be running) then use xbar or Task Manager to shut the emu down.

i keep getting the bottom half of the screen going a see through blue

Not seen that at all so don't know if it's a bug in my part of the code, or Dave's part. Can you PM me a save-game file that shows the bug in action?

this save has overwritten my ps4 savegame
The save function is very rudimentary at the moment; there is only one save-game slot across all ROMs so saving in a second game will overwrite the first save, even if it is a different ROM. Sorry, I could've made it clearer when I released that version. You can of course save your game, then quit the emu and make a backup copy of PicoSave.sav, if you have a save game you'd really hate to lose.

The save/load system will get a radical overhaul at some point - this is just a bodge to be honest. But it's better than nowt :)

deffinetly de-certed my phone ... Do I have to De-cert my phone by browsing with it?

If you're quite sure the thing is now application-unlocked correctly - and you can of course test that by running Flamethrower Carnage ;-) , then all I can think of is that the .EXE you have has in some way become corrupted. I've seen quite a few corrupted EXEs give the same message on my phone. Suggest you re-download it and copy it across to your phone again? Does the define-keys application give the same error, or is it just the main PicoDrive.exe file?

Guest djfuego

Wooooossaaaaaaaaahhhh

It was a bad exe.. who'd have thought..

Cool it's cool. Wicked.

8)

Hahahaha

Can piss my mate off now :twisted:

Guest kr00t0n

Cheers for the reply, just helping debug it all, great work :)

Will deffo make a donation towards the project when the function is available

Guest fdave
Hi Muzzio

A quick Google Search suggests that the .GS0 file you have is a saved game file:

http://www.google.com/ href=http://smartphone.modaco.com/search.php>Search?q=.gs0+sonic&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&c2coff=1

There's very little chance that PicoDrive will read this file correctly (not that I ever tried) so you might as well delete it. Presumably it's a save-game showing you what happens at the end of the game, or something similar.

.gs0 to .gs9 yes are Genecyst save state files. These are documented though, and at some point it may be possible to add code to import and export them (I did that wayyyy back with DGen), but yeah they are pretty much useless to PicoDrive right now :)

Guest fdave
your such a friends freak :lol:

Thanks for the work fdave

did you managed to fix the profiling problem you have with cyclone that yu post on retrogames?

Nope it's still there ;P - PocketPC shows weird weird slowdown, way under the performance a Pocket PC should have at 205Mhz. Maybe Pocket PC's are just crap :lol:

Anyway, by the sounds of things, the P800,P900 and Smartphone versions aren't afflicted thank goodness :) And I can vouch that my GP32 doesn't have any trouble :lol:

Dave.

Guest fdave
any idea when dave will add sound? when he does, will it drop straight into this emu - as cool as it is, its weird ghostly silent!

Three chips to emulate I'm afraid :)

Z80 YM2612 and a PSG

Th sharp amogst you will note there is loads of code to emulate this already, however it's just not FAST code. And that's what's PicoDrive is designed to be - fast but accurate. Fingers crossed anyway.

Guest phonesmarts

sound is nice, but how about the saving issue on the picodrive? do the .smd have their own save roms within the rom? keep up the good work :) hope you can make the picodrive fast, accurate, and non-power draining

OFF TOPIC

@dave: do you own a xbox?

Guest maxh2003
how about the saving issue on the picodrive? do the .smd have their own save roms within the rom?

AFAIK, .SMD roms don't have save-files held within the rom.

If by "saving issue" you mean, the single-save problem, then that's certainly going to be fixed at some point soon, but I've not decided how the interface should work as of yet. I can change it to one save slot per ROM quite easily but that's still not ideal.

FWIW, the next release for Smartphone will be at some point in the next 24 hours, and should have the file requester bug fixed, plus updated draw routines from Dave's source code, which might make things run a bit faster.

After that it'll be a week or so before I can release any new version 'cos I'm going on holiday. Anyone got any reliable GPRS settings for Lanzarote? :wink:

Guest Taoski

Mine still crashed when i attempted to exit the application by the way. Even after my proper Hard Reset yesterday.

It happens when i click on Cancel in the ROM loader screen... The phone locks and i have to remove the battery.

Also - i loaded edit - which failed and locked the phone too.

I'll try a newer version later today.

Guest maxh2003
I'll try a newer version later today.

- not much point. Clicking "Cancel..." on the Load Rom screen will crash any version of PicoDrive for Smartphone, and if you're using a Smartphone 2002 machine and can't hold Home down to break out of the emulator, pulling the battery is your only option.

Hopefully a new version some time tonight will fix this annoying bug...

Guest fdave
sound is nice, but how about the saving issue on the picodrive?  do the .smd have their own save roms within the rom?  keep up the good work :)  hope you can make the picodrive fast, accurate, and non-power draining

OFF TOPIC

@dave:  do you own a xbox?

yes a lovely modded one too - they are great

Guest Taoski
not much point.  Clicking "Cancel..." on the Load Rom screen will crash any version of PicoDrive for Smartphone

Now you tell me! :roll:

Or did i miss that point earlier in the Thread?

Guest maxh2003
did i miss that point earlier in the Thread?
chiefdave reported this one yesterday...

if i hit cancel on the rom selection screen the phone locks up and i have to take the battery out

... but hopefully not for much longer, it will become a proper Quit option instead...

Guest Pondrew

Just been playing Sonic 1 in my car while killing time in an open air carpark in Croydon and just wanted to say this truly rocks!

The other day my brother was showing off his Treo running a game gear emulator. Now I can show him some 16bit emulation!

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest maxh2003

Emulator updated again

Cancel... has become Quit.., and shouldn't hang your phone :) ;

Version Numbers added;

Now allows one save game file *per ROM*... still a bodge, but a more useful bodge

Saves from previous versions might not be compatible - you have been warned

Get it from www.gamesforsmartphones.co.uk/picodrive.shtml as usual :lol:

Max

Guest awarner [MVP]

Note to all posters in this section, ALL referances to who has what games etc will be removed, all this is enabling people to do is know who to contact to share roms etc and it is highly unlikely that everyone has the same original carts etc.

Keep the emulator suggestions etc up but do not post which games work do not work etc etc.

Thanks

Guest midnight

indeed, sharing of roms is illegal (and i aint buying that 'if you own the original' etc rubbish aswell, because most end user license agreements say NO copying) :)

Guest quacka

I seem to get soem kind of bug with the key settings in the new version. I map the d-pad to my d-pad of the mpx200. Up the right, down to left, left to up, right to down of the mpx200. Now left and right of the emulator works fine. But up do not work and down is actually up. I tried remapping about 10 times but this is still the case.

ANothewr thing I want to ask, is this new version still base on the 0.16 source? It says it when i run the emu. There is version 0.17 on daves site