BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Guest picard_beta

yes because you are using GDI. it only accelerates GAPI when the video memory is slower as system memory (for cpu access) which would be the case with 8390 too if GAPI would work.

Guest schriss

As far as I know system memory runs at 100MHz on Mio8390, and is upped to 133MHz with SmartPhoneTurbo :D

Graphics chip on Mio8390 is nVidia GoForce 2150, 2D accelerator.

Guest schriss

I just did a small benchmark.

Video Driver: GAPI (native, not wraper)

Turbo active (system memory clocked at 133MHz according to SmartPhoneTurbo developer).

Dither Enabled. Slow Video Memory Disabled.

Average Speed: 162.30%

Bench Data Rate: 650 kbit/sec

Dither Enabled. Slow Video Memory Enabled

Average Speed: 162.09%

Bench Data Rate: 650 kbit/sec

Guest schriss

Yes, and a tool, like special BetaPlayer version with short vide (but high bitrate and stereo - I can provide these;) hardcoded in (or as a resource file), so you just run the exe, and get result that will be comparable between ALL Smartphones. :D

Guest nikjensie

I think it's been mentioned before without response in this thread, only that person had the problem with audio.

When I play a movie for about 3-4 minutes the "hourglass" flickers in the background and I can't stop/pause the movie anymore, it just keeps playing and repeats after finish, the only thing I can do is remove the battery and start over.... Is there a fix for this at all? It happens when I do benchmarks as well...

A benchmark thread would be awesome, it would be really nice to find out what benchmark rates people get with the same phone I use.

BTW, I have a Qtek 7070 which of course is the same as a E100.

Would really appreciate the response,

Thanks!

Nik

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Nikjensie, I used to get the same problem running PocketTV. I have never had the same problem with BetaPlayer.

Anyway the only thing I could do was to take out my SD Card and wait for PocketTV to stop and then exit, don't know if the same will help you.

The 'Hourglass' is a usually sign that you phone is running low on memory. What I used to notice is that if used Binarys Task Manager to close everything first it actually made no difference and I had to restart the phone again.

The same happens to PocketMusic but not as frequent. The symptoms are the same though, the 'hourglass' comes on but never goes and PocketMusic just keeps on playing and again I had to remove the card to crash out.

I don't really think that it is a problem with the software as it affects other packages as well. If you are playing a big file then you need more memory to handle this and whilst the phone is struggling with the memory there is nothing you can do. Much the same when Windows starts to crawl...

Guest schriss

Definitely not a problem with software. My PocketMusic behaved exactly as Dr_StrangeTrick explained on my Qtek7070 and that was a result of very low memory on that phone (just few MB free), I had to reset so often...

Now I have 20MB free on my current phone and NEVER had any problems with PocketMusic or BetaPlayer, I also do not need to reset anymore, I'm just closing tasks until I get that 20MB free again.

Guest jasonstewart

Betaplayer is great, but I am not sure what is the best bitrate to use when encoding on PocketDivx, and what difference in quality it will it make if I choose a low bitrate, I have tried several and I can't see any drop in quality as yet. I want my e200 to run Betaplayer at the optimum speed as it is choppy at the moment...

Guest schriss

jasonstewart: you could try to reencode with VirtualDub, this way you would have better control over bitrate and could make few files just for tests.

You can also run BetaPlayer benchmark with the file that is choppy and notice the resulting Bench. Data Rate - that will be the max bitrate your phone can take... :D

Guest mattartist

Is there a way to increase the volume any higher? I'm using Betaplayer 0.4 on an e200. Coupled with train + commuter noise, a film sound track can be barely audible - though of course is perfectly adequate when all else is quiet. It's all relative! Earpiece vol is max and Betaplayer vol is max - any higher vols possible guys?? Can something be done at the encoding stage?

Needless to say this is truly an amazing feature of our handhelds. A great player that has impressed myself, friends and family no end - makes my commuting life far better, catching up on films (and soon TV progs) that I've been meaning to get round to. Plus, the whole process of ripping, encoding and transferring to SD worked without a hitch!! Great beta work and refinements chaps! Congrats to all involved.

Guest nikjensie

@Dr_StrangeTrick

Are you saying that I'd be better off with a E200? Or would I run into the same problem there?

Nik

Guest schriss

nikjensie: go for E200, you shouldn't have any low memory problems with it.

mattartist: yes, you have probably encoded sound with low volume. I have to keep my volume at 75% or my head would explode, it's so loud.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

If you can get an E200 then go for it. It plays the larger files much more easily and unless you have loads of programs running at the same time then you should not get the memory issues.

Only question is to get an E200 now or wait for the C500 or the new Motorola's :roll:

To be honest though, I have given my E100 to my son and he watches movies as well. The only extra software running is Tywx's GPRS monitor the rest of the phone is as shipped by Orange. If he has been playing games etc then he switches the phone off and back on again before palying movies, but he has never experienced the memory problem :?:

Guest nikjensie

Well,

thats's the thing. Then I don't know if it's my Betaplayer settings, my Encoding settings, the fact that I have too many programs installed (After reboot: Physical memory: 7568k IPSM: 598k) or what?

Regarding the choice of phone, I really like the design of the E100 and I think the C500 just looks ugly, the buttons doesn't seem very pushable... Haven't seen the new Motorola yet.

I always reboot before watching and it happens every time...

Guest nikjensie

@Dr_StrangeTrick

Hmmmm.... I think I might have to beg to differ regarding your remark that it probably wasn't a problem with the software, 'cause just to play around I uninstalled 0.04 and re-installed 0.03... problem is gone... at least for the time being... actually seems to be a little less choppy as well. I'll try it for a while and we'll see...

Maybe it's time to get that E200 anyway...

The software really is AMAZING! Great work Picard!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

If that's how much free memory you have then that's about the same as my son gets on my old E100, so Betaplayer should be happy enough.

But you did mention encoder settings, I use PocketDivXEncoder to convert all my video files. I use the SmartPhone template, I have VHQ and XVid ticked and I set the framerate to 25.00fps and I tick the Create an AVI file.

For the output options I set video quality to 1, audio quality to 1 I click on the > to the left of this and drop this to 16kps and this works fine for most movies.

Where there are lots of high speed camera pans etc then I increase the video quality to 4 or 6 and if the movie is quiet I increase the sound by +25%

This gives me fantastic quality which plays beautifully on my E200 and my sons E100 and an average 100 min movie compresses down to 60Mb or 100Mb if I push the video quality up.

I have tried VirtualDub with the settings from the group but I find this gives me not so good results. The other advantage to using PocketDivXEncoder is that it does not need to be installed, just click and run and you don't need to install any codes to convert the files.

Give this a try and see how it looks.

Guest schriss

If you have no experience in using VirtualDub, then yes, use PocketDivxEncoder.

I use VirtualDub because I used to encode DivX movies for PC in the past, so it's easier for me and results are excellent. My problem is I prefer MAX quality I can get, so 40min of movie takes approx 200MB, but this way I get the quality you get with 2CD DivX movies on PC, and I encode with 96kbps stereo sound because I use quite big headphones with my phone when listening to MP3 or watching movies and I wouldn't listen to anything below 48kbps.

One thing I haven't tried yet with VirtualDub is 2-pass encoding, which usually gives better quality with smaller file. Another nice feature of VirtualDub is possibility of applying audio or video filters (sharpen, rotate, resize, de-interlace, etc.) to the stream.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest picard_beta

i got a MPx200 last week and made some optimalizations for non XScale devices (earlier didn't have one).

you can test the "unstable" version here (unstable = prerelease, mostly for testing)

http://beta.topcat.hu/unstable

with default settings i get 110% for RL_SQB on my MPx200 (original SP2002 OS)

Guest greenwood

Great! No backlight keepalive now working when playing MP3 on MPx200 :P

But when using equalizer there is strange louder moment in the beginning of each song.

Guest master-ceo
i got a MPx200 last week and made some optimalizations for non XScale devices (earlier didn't have one).

you can test the "unstable" version here (unstable = prerelease, mostly for testing)

http://beta.topcat.hu/unstable

with default settings i get 110% for RL_SQB on my MPx200 (original SP2002 OS)

nice player! Works Great! Still testing tho. 8)

I downloaded betaplayer.smartphone.UNSTABLE.exe

Would this one be the most recent one?