BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Guest Pondrew

thanks. was this with the unstable.0721 or older official 0.04?

what cpu speed is shown in the settings dialog first page (only in unstable version)? does the OMAP CPU in E200 run on 133Mhz or 120Mhz?

Just checked and it shows as 130 mhz

Guest SMYKUL

This is SWEET ! i just encoded 3 hours 10 mins of Red Vs Blue episodes in a 92Mb file and it plays perfect ! thanks man, ur the best.

Guest jamesb
I use  PocketDivXEncoder to convert all my video files. I use the SmartPhone template, I have VHQ and XVid ticked and I set the framerate to 25.00fps and I tick the Create an AVI file.

For the output options I set video quality to 1, audio quality to 1 I click on the > to the left of this and drop this to 16kps and this works fine for most movies.

Where there are lots of high speed camera pans etc then I increase the video quality to 4 or 6 and if the movie is quiet I increase the sound by +25%

I converted a couple of episodes of "The Office" using a screen size that was an almost fit for the 176x220 of my mpx200 and havent been able to get anything like the benchmark numbers being talked about here.

I was using pocketdivxencoder as per the settings above and the best i have seen is around 114%. I'm loving the quality that I get on the player (nice one Picard! :P ) but does anyone have any tips on being able to run higher quality files without dropping frames?

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I used the RL_LQB_320x176_256_64.AVI to benchmark. I only achieved 83% :D

But Betaplayer has never skipped a frame for me ever and this is watching full length feature films encoded using the settings mentioned earlier.

When I used to use PocketTV instead that was a different matter, everything had to be encoded at 15FPS otherwise it would jump like mad and the files where almost twice as big.

Well done Picard :P

Guest schriss

The file you use is too high resolution (320x176) and needs to be resized, lowering benchmark score.

Use RL_SQB if you have a Smartphone, which usually have 176x220 screen :P

Guest Bookers

EDIT: After some more testing, it so happen that mono/stereo is the one that caused a huge difference too. With a 44kHz sampling rate + mono audio, playback of 29.970 smoothly was possible, however with a 44kHz sampling rate + stereo audio, smooth playback of 29.970fps vid was impossible. Thus, my only solution to play with 44kHz stereo audio was to decimate the framerate by half. Then i can have playback with almost 0 dropped frames. :?

Hi,

I was playing with the different encoding settings and I found out that if an audio stream with 22kHz sampling rate was used, its possible to nicely play out a 24fps source with almost no dropped frames. (Benchmarked it and the avg FPS was 31++fps.) However, if one were to use an audio with 44kHz sampling rate, the frames dropped would be ridiculous.

I was wondering why the different sampling rate cause a HUGE different in the processing power needed. Does anyone knows why?

Guest Vector

I'm guessing it is because the higher quality audio requires more processing power and memory, therefore less memory/processing power for video :P

Guest martin

Brilliant app but I've got one niggly problem :? Does anyone know how the chapters work or what filename it looks for ? I can't seem to get it working. Thanks :P

Guest nikjensie

Dronez - 220x132 Divx5.2 250kbps Audio: 44KHz 64kbps mono:

Using E200 with following Settings and played from Storage:

Smooth Zoom: ON

Slow Video Memory: ON

Dither: ON

Video Driver: GAPI

Buffer Sixe: 2048kb

Preload at underrun: 90%

Microdrive Mode: ON (starts at 10%)

Result:

Average Speed 114.76%

Video Frames 4781

Audio Samples 8431488

Amount of Data 7223 KBytes

Bench. Time 2:46.649

Bench. Frame Rate 28.69

Bench. Sample Rate 50594

Bench. Data Rate 355 kbit/s

Original Time 3:11.239

Original Frame Rate 25.00

Original Sample Rate 44100

Original Data Rate 309 kbit/s

Dronez - 220x132 Divx5.2 250kbps Audio: 44KHz 64kbps mono:

Using E200 with following Settings and played from Storage CARD:

Smooth Zoom: ON

Slow Video Memory: ON

Dither: ON

Video Driver: GAPI

Buffer Sixe: 2048kb

Preload at underrun: 90%

Microdrive Mode: ON (starts at 10%)

Result:

Average Speed 106.44%

Video Frames 4781

Audio Samples 8431488

Amount of Data 7223 KBytes

Bench. Time 2:59.673

Bench. Frame Rate 26.61

Bench. Sample Rate 46927

Bench. Data Rate 329 kbit/s

Original Time 3:11.239

Original Frame Rate 25.00

Original Sample Rate 44100

Original Data Rate 309 kbit/s

Don't know if it helps anyone, but please let me know if I'm using some setting I shouldn't... cause I never reach some of the benchmarks some people get in this thread...

Best Regards

Nik

Guest SMYKUL

just couldn't keep this to myself any more, im on my hols and have been messing with beta player an i just managed to get an average speed of 134.81 on an SPV1 with that matrix clip.

i used gapi driver with sound disabled, smooth zoom on, dither off, slow video mem and lookup tables enabled. ill tell you if i get any better results, we might even be able to give recommended options for encoding and playing depending on the device being used to get the best results if we all carry on reporting in. Keep Up The Good Work picard !

---------------

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest picard_beta
slow video mem

so 'slow video mem' helped on the SPV1? because it didn't help on my mpx200 and if it has the same speed you should turn it off because it can cause minor quality degradation (rare), so only turn on if it helps speed.

i think audio is very important. so turning off audio is not a real world usage benchmark. however for optimial playback you can use other audio settings as in the sample file. example mono with 32 or 48kbit/sec.

Guest picard_beta

Finally BetaPlayer added to PocketPCMag Encyclpedia database (i was a bit lame to add it in last minute)

If you think it should be nominated to Best Software Awards 2004, please check out the page and

send a nominations feedback form. It's already nominated for PocketPC, but the Smartphone

nomination is still "missing". Thanks!

http://pocketpcmag.com/awards/main.asp

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/survey/nominati...onsfeedback.htm

update: it maybe too late for suggestion feedback, but still you can try :P

Guest master-ceo
Finally BetaPlayer added to PocketPCMag Encyclpedia database (i was a bit lame to add it in last minute)

If you think it should be nominated to Best Software Awards 2004, please check out the page and

send a nominations feedback form. It's already nominated for PocketPC, but the Smartphone  

nomination is still "missing". Thanks!  

http://pocketpcmag.com/awards/main.asp

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/survey/nominati...onsfeedback.htm

update: it maybe too late for suggestion feedback, but still you can try :P

Most useful software/freeware for the smartphone period! Thanks for this program. Is there a way to make a donation to your project? PM me if it is. Keep up the good work!

Peace.

Guest picard_beta

no donation possiblity yet :D i can't have my own paypal acount because i live in Hungary. but i'am in talk with corecodec.org to setup a paypal (sub)acount for the project. please wait with you donations a little more :P

Guest picard_beta

betaplayer.smartphone.0.04.exe is for the PC and uses ActiveSync to install the player.

the other solution which doesn't require ActiveSync is to use betaplayer.arm_sp.cab

on the phone (you can found it in betaplayer.cabs.0.04.zip)

Guest mrchrisdavies
MY SPV says it not an windows CE application and does not install ?? (betaplayer.smartphone.0.04)

Download this file "betaplayer.cabs.0.04.zip" (the top one) from HERE

Once downloaded, install the SP.CAB to your phone. Maybe you installed one of the other three CE cabs.

Brilliant player Picard. I'm very impressed, so simple, but with many playback options. Especially when it played a High quality 42mb AVI I had on my storage card for my PC!

Will you be getting it to play Windows Media Files WMV, could you put an elapsed time on there on screen (especially for music), and could there be an option to SAVE your viewing postion during a film to return back to it.

Love the fast forward option. I have tried all the trial versions of all the other players which cost $19.99 this week and to put it simply, they are all rubbish! They have potential, but all have problems and flaws and should not be released or sold. The betaplayer is by far the best. :D I don't know if its possible to contact Handango soon, and get them to sell the player for you for say $9.99. :P so you can be rewarded for your efforts.

I must change all my files to AVI or DivX now.

Guest master-ceo
no donation possiblity yet :lol: i can't have my own paypal acount because i live in Hungary. but i'am in talk with corecodec.org to setup a paypal (sub)acount for the project. please wait with you donations a little more :P

Ok will do. :D