BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Guest The PocketTV Team

> When I used to use PocketTV instead that was a different matter, everything had to be encoded at 15FPS otherwise it would jump like mad and the files where almost twice as big.

You should not have thise sort of problem if you use the right encoding parameters, or if you use the encoding templates that we provide in our guide: http://forum.pocketmovies.net/viewtopic.ph...php?p=3415#3415

You can download a few sample from http://www.pockettv.com/mpg/sp/ that are encoded at 24 fps (nominal framerate of movies) and play very well with PocketTV on Smartphones.

Maybe you just tried to play files encoded at 320x240 @ 500Kbit/sec on a Smartphone ? Naturally, this will not work (even with the excellent BetaPlayer).

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I used to use PocketTv and I followed the guides to the letter and belive me the quality far far bellow what we can achieve using XVid.

I have encoded many files using the methods at pocketmovies and they do come out at 15fps and they are nearly twice as big as my 25fps XVid encoded files.

The picture quality in PocketTv is blocky and where there is lots of movements it gets worse or skips frames. BetaPlayer plays the same movie converted to XVid with no problems, much higher picture quality and practically no dropped frames.

We had a 3 hour train journey to endure earlier this year (still using PocketTv then) and I converted Finding Nemo to keeps the kids quiet. The PocketTv conversion was 123Mb and the XVid version was 74MB. In the scene with the sharks you could not see the blood in PocketTv but no problems with Beta Player.

So Beta Player files are smaller, better quality, play at 25 fps easily and convert faster. Sorry guys but its bye bye PocketTv for me.

Guest The PocketTV Team

BetaPlayer plays DivX, which is based on MPEG-4, a recent standard which is about twice as efficient in terms of compression, compared to MPEG-1 (the format played by PocketTV), which was developed around 1989, so some of what you say is true.

However, you cannot say that MPEG-1 is blocky by nature, because the quality you get depends on the nature of the source and more importantly on the bitrate and on the quality of the encoder.

By increasing the bitrate, you can cause any block to disapear from an MPEG-1 file, and by using a better encoder, you can also improve the video quality at the same bitrate.

Globally, for the same visual quality, DivX files are about half the size of MPEG-1 file, in average. This is correct.

But when encoded with appropriate parameters, MPEG-1 files can achieve excellent quality, too. It is correct that the quality of MPEG-1 degrades significantly faster than the quality of MPEG-4 streams when coding at lower bitrate.

Guest The PocketTV Team
MPEG1 got IS (International Standard) in 1992

MPEG4 part-2 (DivX,XviD,...) in early 1999

MPEG4 part-10 (AVC, h264...) in 2003

That's correct :P

Guest SMYKUL

I got some suggestions :P , please don't take these the wrong way, I LOVE this app ! ok, here goes...

---------

-Saving playlists option would be good.

-.asx playlist support (I don't know about you but i already have lots of these and the ability to write them would be useful too).

-Instead of playing a song in the playlist when the action button is pressed I think it would be good if it just selected the entry and allowed you to move it up and down to change the order of the songs(and of course the left soft key would play the selected entry).

-I don't know if this would be possible but wmv and wma support would be great !

-More speeds ! I love this function but i wouldn't mind a few more settings from 100 to 200 (110, 115, 125, 140, 150, 160, 175, 185, 200).

-An option to change the sample rate would be good, but I don't really know how that stuff works.

-Showing song info on the screen when they are being played

-Visualizations for mp3s ( THIS WOULD BE SWEET !) :twisted:

-Skin support (so you can have a separate colour scheme for beta player).

But hey, even if I am being totally unrealistic and none of these things can be done, who cares, this app rulez :wink: .

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

All of the movies I have are encoded from DVD, so same source used.

Not having converted to MPEG before I have only used your instructions and belive me there is a massive difference in quality.

For Beta Player I use Pocketdivxencoder and all I do to this is set output to XVid and framerate to 25fps.

This is so fast at converting its unreal and you don't need to have XVid, DivX or any other codec's loaded on your machine and as already mentioned my files are usually half the size :P so more moves on my card.

Guest serialkillazzs

wonder if the pocket tv team is bringin out their client in newer mpeg 4 compression, by readin through this forum they seem to be pretty well interested in your client picard, and rightly so

By the way picard is there any news on volume key bug when exiting betaplayer from the e200

It's a bit strange why the mods here haven't been able to set you up with a paypal donation, after all it is a microsoft accredited smartphone site.

Anyway look forward to the final version, good luck with picard

o by the way it should win smartphone application of the year, best program i think

Guest picard_beta
It's a bit strange why the mods here haven't been able to set you up with a paypal donation, after all it is a microsoft accredited smartphone site.

not here. i'am in talk with codecodec.org where the player is hosted.

Guest The PocketTV Team

not here. i'am in talk with codecodec.org where the player is hosted.

You have to be careful with that: since BetaPlayer uses MP3 and other technologies that are subject to patent royalties (MPEG-4), you may get into some troubles soon as you make money with your product.

For example, Thomson/Franhaufer will grant you free licences for MP3 as long as your application is free and you do not make any revenues from it. When you start making money (even with just donations), they can start charging you for royalties. You could claim that you are covered by the blanket licence that DivX Network purchased, but I don't think this would be legally safe.

On the other hand, you can just wait until the day they start asking for royalty money, and disolve your company if and when this happens... that's why forming a company could protect you (personally) from those liabilities, in most cases.

Guest barkythedog

or one of us could go to where he lives with a large cheque to say thankyou for you top top player but because we like you have this personal gift, no law against someone giving you money cause your clever now is there. the dog

Guest The PocketTV Team

> no law against someone giving you money

actually there are! gifts (when large) must be declared and are in general taxable, like other revenues. there are exceptions, when parent make gifts to their childs, for example. but a payment disguised as a gift is not immune to the laws.

in other words, putting a button that says "click here to make a donation to the project" will be considered as doing business and getting revenues, just the same as selling a shareware or a commercial product.

Guest Blakey

Okay, having read the entirety of this thread I think I might just download this player. :-)

However, I have to ask, how do you generate movies to put onto your smartphones? Sorry if there is a simple link for this somewhere - if so, please point me at it.

I have a laptop which has a DVD player in it. Do I get some software and effectively rip a copy of the DVD onto a format which is playable by the Beta Player?

Thanks for helping out a brainless incompetent simpleton. :-)

Blakey

Guest Blakey

Okay, thanks.

But how do I generate AVI or MPEG files in the first place? Say I have the LotR on DVD (I do, of course) and want to stick it on my phone. How would I go abouts getting that into AVI or MPEG standard for converting to DivX?

Thanks for the help

Blakey

Guest maxh2003

Well, PocketDivXEncoder can import .VOB files that contain DVD video. But it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of editing so I don't know if it'd do the job you want or whether you'd get menus and other nasty things appearing (because they also are contained within the VOB files...)

You could use TMPGEnc to convert from VOB to MPG, then use PDE to convert from MPG to AVI (DivX) but that's a two-stage conversion and isn't ideal...

Can anyone fill in the missing (hopefully, freeware) DVD -> AVI application?

Guest Blakey

Just found this site which has some fairly complex information on ripping DVDs: http://www.dvdripguides.com/dvdmenu.php

I'm also wondering on the legality of this? I own LotR on DVD for example, and would love to rip it into AVI format and stick it on my phone for my own personal use. Is this legal? I can't really imagine me charging people to watch LotR on a 320x240 pixel screen, but I'd always rather know what I'm contemplating isn't dodgy as I don't do that sort of thing. :-)

Cheers

Blakey

Guest maxh2003

I can also recommend www.doom9.net for DVD guides.

> legality

- would depend on what country you're in.

IANAL, but I believe that ripping commercial DVDs is, in the UK at least, illegal. Even if it's for personal use and you own the original.

rather know what I'm contemplating isn't dodgy as I don't do that sort of thing
I understand that in the UK, it's legally wrong. Morally - well that's another story. By and large people obey laws for two reasons - one, they think it's a just law and *want* to obey it, or two, they think they'll get caught...

Here's the best link I could find on the subject:

http://www.netmag.co.uk/features/default.a...ubsectionid=221

ripping a CD into MP3 format to play on your computer is a no-no under UK law

- presumably if it's illegal for MP3 conversion, DVD conversion is also illegal...

Guest Blakey

Crikey! I didn't know that! So does that mean that my iPod is illegal, technically? Even though all the music on it I own on CD and have copied to the iPod via my laptop? I'm guessing it must be. How stupid. :-(

I've also found this software for ripping DVDs straight to DivX format. This is a trial and I have no idea what the restrictions are on it yet: http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-ripper.html

I wonder if there is a good and free piece of software for ripping from DVD to DivX format? Anyone know of one?

Cheers

Blakey

Guest Blakey

Two further questions on this whole subject:

1. How long does it take to convert a DVD into a file that can play using betaplayer? Does it take hours to rip DVDs?

2. What sort of size file are we talking about? Say Mb per hour?

Cheers

Blakey

Guest maxh2003

State the obvious, the iPod is entirely legal. All that music you ripped is technically illegal, AIUI. That would be a law most people don't agree with and don't think they'll get caught for, then.

Guest Blakey

Dr StrangeTrick wrote:

All of the movies I have are encoded from DVD, so same source used. 

Not having converted to MPEG before I have only used your instructions and belive me there is a massive difference in quality. 

For Beta Player I use Pocketdivxencoder and all I do to this is set output to XVid and framerate to 25fps. 

This is so fast at converting its unreal and you don't need to have XVid, DivX or any other codec's loaded on your machine and as already mentioned my files are usually half the size  so more moves on my card.

So, Doctor, can you please explain to me which steps you take to generate phone quality films from DVDs - which software you use and so on. I'm really keen to do this but have no idea how to start...

Cheers

Blakey

Guest martin

I use pocketDivXEncoder to convert to an AVI file at very high quality and then use pocketDivXEncoder again to convert THAT AVI file to smartphone format and include the automated crop feature. This is handy for using the 'fit height' option :P

Unfortunately I just have an SPV at the moment so I tend to reduce the frame rate and audio rate while keeping the quality setting high.

Can't wait for the C500 and the faster processor :D