BETA PLAYER, new player, BEST Player

Guest xavierjohn22

Guest toiletboy

This might be the dumbest reply you have seen in this topic, but i'm gonna go ahead anyway :D

With media player there's a button under the file menu that says copy>To mobile (something like that right?) that brings up an new screen where you can copy the file directly to your smartphone.

How do you copy the file to be viewed with Beta Player? Is copy paste in a folder (Via Active Sync> explore) the best way?

Guest maxh2003
Why cant it play wma

Because WMA is a Microsoft-owned format and they control it, unlike MP3 and OGG which are (to all reasonable intents and purposes) freely useable. I think the author of BetaPlayer would have to pay a licence fee to Microsoft in order to be allowed to write the code for WMA - which is unlikely to happen on a freeware player.

Anyone know better?

Guest schriss

I think you do not need to pay as the codec is already on the phone. You "just" need to make the player take advantage of it... Like those free divx players for PC, where you install bunch of codecs and suddenly a small, free player is able to play almost anything :D

Guest picard_beta

i'am planing to add the ms codec support (DMO interface), but i think it's only available from wince 4.0 .net (wm2003 or smartphone 2003)

before that (ppc2002 and before) all codecs were compiled together into windos media player (one large .exe). i'am not sure they are available for external programs.

i'am not sure about smartphone 2002, but because it's wince3 and not .net i think the codec are not available.

please check if you have wmadecoder.dll, wmavdecoder.dll and wmvdecoder.dll in your windows directory (on the pda or smartphone)

Guest maxh2003

Interesting - license issues are IIRC often cited by PC coders when not building WMA support into their programs, but the Windows Media codecs are pre-installed there too...?

I did find this link -> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme.../licensing.aspx :D

But it does seem to me that WMA produces better results than MP3, and doesn't seem to have the processing overheads of OGGs, so it might be a really good thing in this instance...

of flame war>

Guest muzzio_giovanni

picard_beta wrote :

please check if you have wmadecoder.dll, wmavdecoder.dll and wmvdecoder.dll in your windows directory (on the pda or smartphone)

I search for them but in my mpx200 there isn't any file with this name.... :?

Guest roozbeh

so if you can take advantage of those dlls why not putting them in win2002 oses?

i think those decoders might not be that much built upon wince4 and may work on wince3 too....

Guest picard_beta

i can't distribute the dlls (they can't be even copied from rom by default). this would definitly violate copyright. but i can try to make the player compatible so if somebody gets a dll from the internet the player can use it :D ofcoz this is still just speculaction, i didn't even try the codecs on wm2003 yet.

Guest chinacat

love this app! using v.04 on an i600 - absolutely stunning! backlight stays on no problem, curious if keypad backlight must remain on as well? is that a phone setting or an app setting? thanks for all the work put into this~

cb

Guest picard_beta

probably the most important is playlist support. example now you can play mp3/ogg playlists

(saving playlist to file feature is still missing...)

Guest schriss

So far I still use both: BetaPlayer for movies, PocketMusic for... music :D But that may change... I love it, I can have PocketMusic playing in the background, and the phone still has the power! Menu is responsive and I can read/type SMSes like there was nothing running in the background!! :lol: This was impossible on my old Qtek7070, PocketMusic was killing it :D

Guest barkythedog

is it normal for a tiny tiny tiny pause when playing a film its almost completely unoticeable but i do and it annoys the hell out of me ive tried most things to get it to completely run smoothly and i have very few apps on my e200 cheers , The Dog

Guest picard_beta

for movies the audio is decoded ahead about 5 seconds so the video playback has some space for variable cpu loads. but i will try to figure out something to start playback faster (i already decreased the buffer length for audio only files)

Guest schriss

barkythedog: you mean at the beginning only, or during the whole playback? For me it isn't completely smooth for Xvid only, DivX and 3ivx play completely smooth, at 138% rate :D

Guest barkythedog

throughout the film m8 and yes ive been using Xvid with pocket encoder could you let me know what you are using and your settings please