Orange SPV C500 officially announced by Orange

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jakob

I'm definately going for the C500. It seems much smaller than the Mpx220 - it looks like Moto7500 size when opened (though thinner and lighter, but much longer)

Correct, it would have been nice with a megapixel cam to be used for documentation at work, but you cant have it all.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest kyrkesmith
it makes sense for O though i think they want you to use gprs radio at £10 a minuet

I've thought about doing that - does anyone do it? How much does it cost, and does it work at all well?

Guest Will

i like it, and the (non gaming) cursor should cut down on accidentally in pocket call answering...

Just a price and release date please:)

Guest peekie

why do people want radios so much as you can buy tiny radios with a better batery life anyway and save that power for gaming ect same goes with the i wamt a tv remote on the smartphone get a one4all that works better anyway ,going back to the phone it should be interesting to see how it goes against the motos ect when its out ,here in nl the voq died before it came out so the spv c500 should fill the gap left :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest Y-Wing

Looks like a hit to me, if software bugs and hardware defects can be minimised (and that's a big 'if' going on previous SPV history). Should sell well to Corporates buying in bulk and individual YP's, especially as size will appeal to the more fashion conscious of the latter.

There are pictures of new homescreen on msmobiles.com

Guest midnight

nah m8, only diff between 1611 and the 730 is that the 1611 has a built in DSP for sound, whereas the 730 has built in modem stuff, however, both can be customised anyway, so the 1611 can be customised to include the modem stuff aswell, and likewise the 730 can include a dsp, but the basic processor is identical in both as far as i'm aware

EDIT (from TI website):

OMAP1610 = ARM926TEJ + TMS320C55xTM DSP

OMAP730 = ARM926TEJ + GSM/GPRS digital baseband

as you can see, the base processors are identical :D

Guest midnight
The baseline member of the Omap161x series is the Omap1610, successor to the Omap1510 stand-alone applications processor. The Omap1611 adds 2MB of internal memory plus a low pin count, dedicated connection for all three major flavors of Wi-Fi (11-mbps, 2.4-GHz-band 802.11b; 54-mpbs, 2.4-GHz-band 802.11g; and 54-mbps, 5-GHz-band 802.11a). The Omap1612 is the same as the Omap1611 but with 256MB of stacked ultra-low-power mobile DDR memory.

The Omap73x series combines an application processor with a GSM/GPRS Class 12 modem--on a single chip. TI says the Omap73x series delivers twice the applications performance of its predecessor, the Omap710, while doubling standby time and requiring less than half the board space, meaning devices can get smaller.

The Omap730 has an internal SRAM frame buffer as well as the same low pin count Wi-Fi connection as the 161x series.  

Guest morpheus2702
“Our customers told us that they loved the functionality of previous SPV phones – the familiarity of their desktop PC, simple Internet access, Outlook on the move – but they wanted a smaller form factor.

Really? I've been on MoDaCo about a year and have hardly heard size being mentioned as a bugbear.

Guest kyrkesmith

Yeah, it's hardly mentioned on here, but my E100 is the biggest phone out of anyone I know. It's not too much of a problem, but it limits how much more you can fit in your pocket.

Guest midnight

yeh, when the phones first came out it was mentioned quite a lot, but since then people dont mind so much cos of the functionality, but then, i'm sure the smaller the phone te better again now, Nokia have started having huge losses cos of stupid designs, many of which have been strange shapes and sizes (aswell as daft keypad layouts)

Guest morpheus2702

And talking of daft keyboard layouts, what's the story with that direction pad? Reminds me of the Navi-Roller on the old 7110 - except on teh C500 it's meant to be 5-way? :shock:

Guest kyrkesmith

I thought that roller on the 7110 was excellent. I really like that sort of concept - that's why I bought a couple of Sony phones before.

I think the directional pad on the C500 will be pretty decent for everything except playing games.

Guest morpheus2702

My main point is that there must be ten more important gripes the average smartphone has over and above their phone's size to justify the main selling point of the C500. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest kyrkesmith

I agree totally. I'd have loved to see "our customers' main gripe with our previous SPVs was that they didn't work properly"!

Guest morpheus2702

that was my first and gut reaction too, but I think far more will depend on the build quality. It could come off being in the same league as a Sony Ericsson say, but maybe (and more likely) be a joke toytown phone that Noddy would use! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

Nokia did get one thing right, and thats that mobile phones are as much to do with fashion as features (until their chief designer went insane).

The previous SPV's were huge, which is an instant turnoff to potential customers before they even have a play with the real thing...

Guest squall

true mono. my brother didnt think much of any smartphone ive owned until he saw the mpx200. even though he had seen the features before he was impressed that media player was on it :?

police men for you

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.